Dspecial restoration 1975 - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: Dspecial restoration 1975

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Great work Phil - nothing like refitting a nice clean and freshly painted panel.
    Well done...!
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    Thank you Mark Not a bad finish considering I had to deal with a donor roof and a donor metal roof rail not quite as good as new components and the fact that you can’t buy the original rubber seal for glued roof does not make the job easier but using the rubber seal for a screwed type roof is possible a little tricky but produces a reasonable finish and you don’t need to use the dress up rubber and the roof is nicely secured with the 5 roof clamps. Friday afternoon I will fit the new windscreen with new rubbers.

Advertisement

Default Dspecial restoration

In the mean time the panel beater is fighting the rust and believe me there is a lot of it the passenger side front and back doors needs patches on both sides this guy is pretty good at rust repair old school kind of the guy. The soda blasting did distort the front guards I gave him the glass as guides and likely he checked them they were way out. Smart move

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211424734563445.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	91659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211607517492904.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	91660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211607519572956.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	91661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211607520452978.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	91662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211607524293074.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	91663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211607525093094.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	91664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211424732043382.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	91658

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Phillipe,

Your work is wonderful. Your D Special is going to look wonderful and be kept on the roads for many years to come. I am amazed at your skill set and work ethic. I hope one day, I can a tenth of the work that you and the others do.

Cheers, Syd
    Bounge likes this.
    1974 Citroen D Special (Blanc Meije)
    1989 Citroen 2CV 6 Dolly (Plum & Custard)
    1995 Citroen XM Series II V6 (Vert Vega)

(Previously owned Frenchies - 1976 Citroen GS 1220, 1997 Peugeot 306 XSi)

Quote Originally Posted by gsowner84 View Post
    Hi Phillipe,

Your work is wonderful. Your D Special is going to look wonderful and be kept on the roads for many years to come. I am amazed at your skill set and work ethic. I hope one day, I can a tenth of the work that you and the others do.

Cheers, Syd
    Hi gsowner84
    I will admit I’m determinate and eager to complete this Dspecial and this is definitely the last one my health isn’t the best and this time I’m struggling with it, I’m plaining to use this car when I retire not far to go now.
    I’m very fortunate to have my son helping me to complete this project he is a real Citroen enthousiast, I must thank you for your kind words they are definitely encouraging and remember if I can do this kind of work believe me so can you it’s only a Dspecial the simplest car fitted with carburettor and dizzy the easiest to maintain and possibly the model that will outlive all the other models.
    Cheers
    Philippe
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 6th December 2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Bounge likes this.

Hi all
    Looking for a dash clock can anyone help?

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Le Parisian View Post
    Thank you Mark Not a bad finish considering I had to deal with a donor roof and a donor metal roof rail not quite as good as new components and the fact that you can’t buy the original rubber seal for glued roof does not make the job easier but using the rubber seal for a screwed type roof is possible a little tricky but produces a reasonable finish and you don’t need to use the dress up rubber and the roof is nicely secured with the 5 roof clamps. Friday afternoon I will fit the new windscreen with new rubbers.
    Looks fabulous, using the seal certainly gives a neat finish with a nice clean line. Especially against the white roof

You may have got lucky as there are two seal profiles, appears the one you have used is suitable for a bonded roof - the seal for a bolt on roof in my experience is too bulky, see pics. The left hand seal is as supplied for a bolt on roof.

The *suitable seal sits hard up to the roof and still allows space for the bonding medium to complete the seal and bond to the cant rail.

*As you pointed out, the original seal for a bonded roof is no longer available. It was a heat activated compound with a filament that connected to a battery to heat and soften. The roof would be strapped in position and pulled down into the seal. In practice not always that effective.

Your panel man is a keeper, rescuing panels although costly can work out against sourcing new

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dspecial restoration 1975-finner-seal-profiles.jpg   Dspecial restoration 1975-einner-seal-fitted.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Looks fabulous, using the seal certainly gives a neat finish with a nice clean line. Especially against the white roof

You may have got lucky as there are two seal profiles, appears the one you have used is suitable for a bonded roof - the seal for a bolt on roof in my experience is too bulky, see pics. The left hand seal is as supplied for a bolt on roof.

The *suitable seal sits hard up to the roof and still allows space for the bonding medium to complete the seal and bond to the cant rail.

*As you pointed out, the original seal for a bonded roof is no longer available. It was a heat activated compound with a filament that connected to a battery to heat and soften. The roof would be strapped in position and pulled down into the seal. In practice not always that effective.

Your panel man is a keeper, rescuing panels although costly can work out against sourcing new

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris

My roof still had the original rubber seal fitted with the piano cord still visible when we pulled it off. I understand how they were fitted at the factory but since those seals are no longer available what do people use as a substitute?????

I used an original Citroen rubber seal made for bolted roof I actually had it for over 25 years and almost give it away twice, I was amazed as to the condition of the rubber still soft and very flexible a real good quality rubber. I fitted the rubber around the roof and had great difficulty in fitting it due to the tightness fit but once in sat very well and very flat. I understand some people fit the roof back on without the rubber seal??? Doable but the roof would seat too low and the dress rubber is basically impossible to fit correctly and nicely especially around the corners, too hard for me…. the only problem with the glue on roof is the side brackets protrudes from the outside and the rubber fitted around the perimeters increases the width of the roof especially over the brackets making it hard to fit within the roof rail so when refitting to roof fit the front end of the roof first in the roof rail than pushed down on side and last of all push the other side in and down, luckily the roof is made out of fibro so you have some flexibility I’ve test trialled the roof as it come out of another car to ensure the brackets would fit nicely and it did. The results are quite good I’m wondering how people do fit their glue on roof back on..there is absolutely no given explanation from anybody on any sites????.
    Youre right about my panel beater took me along time to find him and I would recommend him to anyone
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 8th December 2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Fellow Frogger!

Hi gsowner84
    I will admit I’m determinate and eager to complete this Dspecial and this is definitely the last one my health isn’t the best and this time I’m struggling with it, I’m plaining to use this car when I retire not far to go now.
    I’m very fortunate to have my son helping me to complete this project he is a real Citroen enthousiast, I must thank you for your kind words they are definitely encouraging and remember if I can do this kind of work believe me so can you it’s only a Dspecial the simplest car fitted with carburettor and dizzy the easiest to maintain and possibly the model that will outlive all the other models.
    Cheers
    Philippe
    Hi Phillippe,

I am sorry to hear about your health. I must admit that I would not know where to start, but you, along with GreenBlood, and mberry's restoration threads, I know that I at least have a chance - should I ever be brave enough to do it. Best of luck and when I am in NSW next, I would love to see your car in person. Hopefully, I will also be in a D and not in a rental car ;-)

Regards, Syd
    Bounge likes this.

Hi Phillippe,

I am sorry to hear about your health. I must admit that I would not know where to start, but you, along with GreenBlood, and mberry's restoration threads, I know that I at least have a chance - should I ever be brave enough to do it. Best of luck and when I am in NSW next, I would love to see your car in person. Hopefully, I will also be in a D and not in a rental car ;-)

Regards, Syd

Anytime....youre welcomed just let me know

Icon12

Hi Chris

My roof still had the original rubber seal fitted with the piano cord still visible when we pulled it off. I understand how they were fitted at the factory but since those seals are no longer available what do people use as a substitute?????

. . .I’m wondering how people do fit their glue on roof back on..there is absolutely no given explanation from anybody on any sites????
    Phillipe,

I've only seen one bonded roof fitted without a seal and you are absolutely right, the roof sat too low (maybe 5mm) causing problems when fitting up the rear indicator trumpets (not pretty). Although care was taken with the urethane the finish left much to be desired leaving drag marks as it set. The owner also chose not to fit the outer trim rubber - shame as this was on a very nice car otherwise.

Your work by comparison is very professional

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Phillipe,

I've only seen one bonded roof fitted without a seal and you are absolutely right, the roof sat too low (maybe 5mm) causing problems when fitting up the rear indicator trumpets (not pretty). Although care was taken with the urethane the finish left much to be desired leaving drag marks as it set. The owner also chose not to fit the outer trim rubber - shame as this was on a very nice car otherwise.

Your work by comparison is very professional

Cheers
    Chris

Hi Chris
    I’m not a professional and this was my first attempt I only applied logic and a few test trials prior gluing the roof back on, I also noticed that the original factory seal still stuck on the roof was approximately 5 mm thick on the bottom making the roof sit higher…. conclusion you really need to use a rubber seal to get the roof to sit higher, any bolt on roof rubber seal of good quality should do. The only issue with this as previously mentioned you can expect a tight fit between the B pillars due to the protrusion of the brackets and the thickness of the rubber.

Another job completed last night after work the re-assembly of the front bumper including polishing.
    Not really happy with the current condition of this bumper and will replace it some times next year.

Name:	20161207_064738.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	91707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_064742.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	91708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_064748.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	91709
    Bounge likes this.

1000+ Posts

good to see you can have a sausage a beer and a pizza whilst you ponder it's imperfections! What imperfections?? : )
    Bounge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    good to see you can have a sausage a beer and a pizza whilst you ponder it's imperfections! What imperfections?? : )

Can’t decide between gas, charcoal or wood fire pizza beer? Well I prefer a good bottle of wine, imperfections well!!! You can’t see them but I can
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 7th December 2016 at 09:29 AM.

Hi all
    Looking for a dash clock can anyone help?
    Do you still have the original. I find that blowing out the dust, Giving it a very light touch with wd40 on the jewels, and then a very light touch of clock oil does the trick. Run it upside down for 2 weeks and should be good as new
    forumnoreason and ds21bvh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Do you still have the original. I find that blowing out the dust, Giving it a very light touch with wd40 on the jewels, and then a very light touch of clock oil does the trick. Run it upside down for 2 weeks and should be good as new
    I have but its not the right model for this car and its very rough....

Just received an update from the panel beater the rear left door is now better then new incredible work

Name:	received_10211660019805429.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	91761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660017645375.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	91762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660019405419.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	91763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660020045435.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	91764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660013365268.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	91765

Before repairs

Name:	received_10211660027085611.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	91766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660028565648.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	91767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660029045660.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	91768Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10211660028965658.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	91769

Fellow Frogger!

C'est Magnifique!!!!
    Bounge likes this.

1000+ Posts

geez what did they charge you? Was it reasonable, stomachable? I need to do mine and that looks awesome!
    Lasya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    geez what did they charge you? Was it reasonable, stomachable? I need to do mine and that looks awesome!
    The deal is all panels stripped back to metal and all door repair patches supplied from Citroservices. Cost 15K plus soda blasting K16.5 includes all rust repairs where needed (just about all panels) body panels only and wheels, chassis work not included, once all panels are repaired primed and painted on the inside then refit to the car, align and spray panels on the car. Im very happy with his work he is very conciencious and very proffessional and I highly recommend him possibly the best old school panel beater and spray painter and believe me they are hard to find. Completion time 3 months.
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 12th December 2016 at 08:35 AM.
    forumnoreason and OnSafari like this.

Latest update despite the hot weekend weather the dash, the underneath front apron with bumper and the left end rear blinker assembly (Excessive polishing) are back on and the rear parcel is work in progress.
    Looking for a swith panel and a clock as you can see the clips on mine are broken can anyone help??

Name:	20161211_132520.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	91836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_115915_HDR.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	91837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_115959.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	91839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_101927.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	91840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_101919.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	91841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_120722.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	91842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_101842.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	91843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_120833_HDR.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	91838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161211_104820.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	91844
    Last edited by Le Parisian; 12th December 2016 at 08:37 AM.
    ds21bvh and Bounge like this.

C'est Magnifique!!!!
    Merci

Icon3

Looking for a switch panel and a clock as you can see the clips on mine are broken can anyone help??
    Phillipe,
    I have a couple of good switch panels, but both have 2 cutouts - it wouldn't take too much to cut the third hole that you require. All clips intact. PM your mailing address and I can post one to you for Christmas

I have a few clocks, I'll need to test for condition - but may be able to help. If all else fails I'm pretty sure I have a good blanking panel for that spot on the dash.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Clock? From a jaguar XJS fits and looks good. Not expensive. Also, some Peugeot clocks fit the DS.

Do the dance. Do the Daffyduck dance using the Aussiefrogs app. Be real happy if you can.
    Le Parisian likes this.

Phillipe,
    I have a couple of good switch panels, but both have 2 cutouts - it wouldn't take too much to cut the third hole that you require. All clips intact. PM your mailing address and I can post one to you for Christmas

I have a few clocks, I'll need to test for condition - but may be able to help. If all else fails I'm pretty sure I have a good blanking panel for that spot on the dash.

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris
    The package did turn up yesterday all I can say is "WOW" thank you very much for all the goodies you even included the gear lever rubber.... Im very happy you made my Xmas. If youre ever in sydney look me up I owe you lots of beers
    Bounge likes this.

Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information