The "Blue Danube"
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: The "Blue Danube"

Default The "Blue Danube"

Well,

time to get into it... been lurking in the shadows for the past few months... ever since I became the proud owner of a 1970 D Super in Bleu Danube, which I bought from a guy in Toowoomba. My first Citroen, so be patient with me as I learn.

It has been a great car I must admit. Having driven about 1000klms in the past three months, it has proven to be reliable, spacious (the kids certainly prefer it over my 911 I had before the DS) and everyone I meet seems to know someone who had a DS or a story about one... cute!

Advertisement

The "Blue Danube"-222.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-223.jpg

Coincidental colour match Wife-DS... . I am still mulling over the colour scheme (as, from reading the blogs here, everyone appears to do)... the Danube Blue is Ok I find, but I am not 1005 convinced yet. It is the original colour and that is normally what I would retain, but I also like the Bleu D'Orient and the Blue Andalou.

But, I don't have to make a call yet - early days! It will also put on a white roof I think - and maybe even white walls... anyone cringing yet?

The interior is blue / faded black velour, but was originally black Targa - too hot and sticky for Brisbane, so a revamp will also be in order... would blue/white velour become a too blue/white a car? Maybe, we will see!

Been looking at the thousands of photos Matthew and others posted - choices, choices...

Anyway, here a few more "before" shots. The car is in good enough condition to drive and in poor enough condition to restore:

The "Blue Danube"-310.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-311.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-312.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-313.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-323.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-324.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-325.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-329.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-340.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-342.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-346.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-348.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-380.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-381.jpg

So, with limited Citroen experience I thought best to start at the back. Pulled all the bits off to check the body for rust, removed the roof as well as it needs repainting anyway. What I found hasn't been too bad: A little rust around the boot opening, C-pillars and the roof rails - but nothing major.

The car is overall straight, the floors appear in good nick, hydraulics working well, pump kicking in every 30 seconds or so. The bright work is in good condition, just needs polishing.

The "Blue Danube"-403.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-404.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-427.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-448.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-456.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-471.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-473.jpg

The roof came off Ok, but unfortunately the beige roof rubber was that brittle that is broke into pieces removing it, so I am hunting for a new one... at the same time I might see if I can find new headliner material as mine is a tad faded. It isn't horrible, but as the roof is off I would prefer to replace it - anyone any suggestions where to find the correct material?

The "Blue Danube"-451.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-477.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-480.jpg

Better put this post up before I lose it again (did last night...) and will add more in the next one...

First entry done! Hope you will enjoy the resto blog and I may lean on your combined experience at time.

Sven
    GreenBlood, addo, okalford and 2 others like this.

Do you need to press "reply" to add more to a blog? About to find out...

The "Blue Danube"-388.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-389.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-582.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-584.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-587.jpg

A few shots of the ears and boot rails... it was all covered up in seam sealer with pretty poor welding and repairs underneath. As I am welding illiterate this may be an interesting challenge to repair (mates help for sure) and to learn.

Sven

Welcome to the fun, the backstabbing, the long searches with mixed results, and hopefully, welcome to a whole lot of driving enjoyment.

It's a great beauty of the internet just how much information there is on fabrication and welding from some absolutely amazing practitioners. The little sequence on this forum, of a fellow making new floor pans for a Renault Jolly, was of great interest - he had a sneaky trick using an air chisel with UHMW bullet tip, to form "pressed" grooves.

In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

The "Blue Danube"-314.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-317.jpg

After:

The "Blue Danube"-405.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-406.jpg

Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day .

I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

Before:

The "Blue Danube"-232.jpg

"After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

The "Blue Danube"-580.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-581.jpg

Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on...

Sven

mnm

Welcome aboard Sven

you look like you have an attention to detail reminiscent of Greenblood and his thread. Looking forward to further posts.

Matthew

PS... Bleu Danube, one year only. Identifies the car as 1970 instantly.

Icon3

Hi and welcome Sven,

Your car looks to be in remarkably good condition, if it spent most of it's life in Toowoomba that might explain why.

There is a huge amount of information available here with 4 or 5 Ds currently under some form of restoration and a few now in the completed sub forum.

The internal Cant rubber has recently become available as a repro part, I have one ready to fit to my car and the quality looks to be very good. As you can see from your part, there is a metal centre that as far as I'm aware is not available as a replacement part.
    The rubber is available here >> CITRO' SERVICES Srl <<

The roof lining material is not available (by the way it's not vinyl), yours looks like it might clean up and at worst you could recolour it. On my own car it had been replaced using a grey velor more suited to a Pallas, I'm using a vinyl very close to original as used on early VW. Let me know if you would like more detail or a sample.

Where are you in Brisbane, we could meet up for a chat

Cheers
    Chris

Edit: I see you are working on a solution for the headlining
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

And why not a few thought starters in regards to colour schemes - opinions welcome and will be ignored to suit :

I started liking the Oriental Blue with Silver roof...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-558.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-566.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-572.jpg

But then thought: Boring? Conservative? Or rather sophisticated?

How about the Andalou Blue (at least I think it is...) with white roof:

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-561.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-563.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-578.jpg

Danube vs Andalou - who's the winner?

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-577.jpg

Or maybe all the way out there and go for the Rally look

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-570.jpg What blue would that be? Gitanes Cigarette Blue?

The left one I do like... white roof and white walls (but which blue is it?)... the right hand one is Danube + White Roof

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-574.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-576.jpg

Choices, choices...

Or maybe not blue at all? Maybe Panama Jaune... DOH!

Anyway, more soon...

Sven

Yep, only 1970... but therein lies the issue - to change away from Bleu Danube or remain faithful to the originality of the car. Anyway, haven't even really started restoring it and am already up in knots on colour schemes - heard this would happen! One day it will just come to me... like the right red came to you!

Sven

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Hi and welcome Sven,

Your car looks to be in remarkably good condition, if it spent most of it's life in Toowoomba that might explain why.

There is a huge amount of information available here with 4 or 5 Ds currently under some form of restoration and a few now in the completed sub forum.

The internal Cant rubber has recently become available as a repro part, I have one ready to fit to my car and the quality looks to be very good. As you can see from your part, there is a metal centre that as far as I'm aware is not available as a replacement part.
    The rubber is available here >> CITRO' SERVICES Srl <<

The roof lining material is not available (by the way it's not vinyl), yours looks like it might clean up and at worst you could recolour it. On my own car it had been replaced using a grey velor more suited to a Pallas, I'm using a vinyl very close to original as used on early VW. Let me know if you would like more detail or a sample.

Where are you in Brisbane, we could meet up for a chat

Cheers
    Chris

Edit: I see you are working on a solution for the headlining
    Chris,

am in Graceville - would be great to catch up some time. Met Mark Gordon at the 60th club meeting and he has given it the once over and all clear as well, so that's a good start (as I don't really know how DS' should drive). Good news on the rubber then... it looks grey though? Did they come in beige and grey or is my beige a dirty/discoloured original grey rubber after all?

What's the head liner if not vinyl? Rubber matting?

mnm

Absolutely Sven. ... fickle is my middle name. I like all the blues actually, the Bleu Andalou pic you posted in particular. But yes it is a personal choice. Bleu on Bleu??

Matthew

I said it before, I'll say it again:

Candy purple.

Nobody up for the challenge yet, sadly.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I think the original Danube looks great. Your car is unique in having that for that year only - i recon celebrate it. Like the White roof tho, breaks it up a bit.

Beautiful car, so very jealous....

Will be watching closely, might even get inspired to restore the Kombi finally..
    Ben2 likes this.
    306 S16 (95) - sold!

Bit off track, but just a quick question to members:

Have you ever bought parts from Der Franzose in Germany? Maybe I am just out of luck, but ordered parts almost 2 months ago and they still have not arrived... starting to p&%s me off and the replies from them have been lacking at best... sent them another mail today and if I don't get a response tonight I will ring them tomorrow...

Sven

Has anyone else had bad experiences with them, or am I just unlucky with this one shipment?

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    Chris,

am in Graceville - would be great to catch up some time. Met Mark Gordon at the 60th club meeting and he has given it the once over and all clear as well, so that's a good start (as I don't really know how DS' should drive). Good news on the rubber then... it looks grey though? Did they come in beige and grey or is my beige a dirty/discoloured original grey rubber after all?

What's the head liner if not vinyl? Rubber matting?
    Yep, Mark certainly sets the bar when it comes to restoring a DS, his DS21 BVH is absolutely sensational and correct to minute detail. If he gave your car the thumbs up you have a very good starting point.

With regard to the internal Cant rubber, yes it is a little light and possibly should lean a little more to beige, in real life it's not too bad and given where it sits it shouldn't stand out. Who knows what they looked like when new? You have two choices as yours is destroyed, find good second hand or use the repro.

The hood lining appears to be a a rubber product, quite soft and stretchy. If yours is in good condition, I think you are on the right track cleaning, and if you have to colouring.

Have you ever bought parts from Der Franzose in Germany? Maybe I am just out of luck, but ordered parts almost 2 months ago and they still have not arrived... starting to p&%s me off and the replies from them have been lacking at best... sent them another mail today and if I don't get a response tonight I will ring them tomorrow...

Sven

Has anyone else had bad experiences with them, or am I just unlucky with this one shipment?
    I've only made one successful purchase from them, and on that occasion they charged VAT so not entirely happy. They have plenty of competition so it pays to shop around.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Sven

Hi Sven

I have bought heaps of stuff from them and never had a problem. They did send me the wrong colour door cards though..blue instead of red. I contacted them via email, the apologised profusely, sent me the correct colour and paid for shipping to return the blue ones.

Sorry to hear about your experience though... it could be Australian customs.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger!

Sven

Dear Sven

Der Franzose generally good - very helpful and have never been ripped off.

Their delivery is slower than others ( e.g Serie04 in france ) but it always gets there in the end

Some of their reproduction stuff needs watching - I have had some reproduction panels that were not right, others were excellent. Similarly with other parts. Most of their stuff is very good.

In fairness to them , they give a scale of 1-4 in grading the quality of their parts, so one has been warned. Check this before deciding about any particular part.

Have got stuff for both the 404 and the DS from them and their range is good. One also needs to be careful about part descriptions to be sure that one gets the right bit for the year of the car - some of their descriptions are less than illuminating, but I would also plead guilty to being less than bright in many areas, so a lot of the errors were mine rather than theirs.

Overall, well worth using.

Good luck with the resto - very nice car

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Default trim repaint

Sven, the colour can easily be matched up by a Uticolor repairer, just look on the internet for you local guy. I could do it for you in 10 minutes if you were in Sydney.

Thanks Chris, just had a look at the Uticolour website. Looks promising. Will ring them tomorrow and see whether they can help. Says the Brisbane guy only does "Automotove Trade"... We'll see...

Well,

time to get into it... been lurking in the shadows for the past few months... ever since I became the proud owner of a 1970 D Super in Bleu Danube, which I bought from a guy in Toowoomba. My first Citroen, so be patient with me as I learn.

It has been a great car I must admit. Having driven about 1000klms in the past three months, it has proven to be reliable, spacious (the kids certainly prefer it over my 911 I had before the DS) and everyone I meet seems to know someone who had a DS or a story about one... cute!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	222.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	73212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	73213

Coincidental colour match Wife-DS... . I am still mulling over the colour scheme (as, from reading the blogs here, everyone appears to do)... the Danube Blue is Ok I find, but I am not 1005 convinced yet. It is the original colour and that is normally what I would retain, but I also like the Bleu D'Orient and the Blue Andalou.

But, I don't have to make a call yet - early days! It will also put on a white roof I think - and maybe even white walls... anyone cringing yet?

The interior is blue / faded black velour, but was originally black Targa - too hot and sticky for Brisbane, so a revamp will also be in order... would blue/white velour become a too blue/white a car? Maybe, we will see!

Been looking at the thousands of photos Matthew and others posted - choices, choices...

Anyway, here a few more "before" shots. The car is in good enough condition to drive and in poor enough condition to restore:

Name:	310.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	73214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	73215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	73216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	313.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	73217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	323.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	73218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	324.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	73219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	325.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	73220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	73221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	340.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	73222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	342.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	73223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	346.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	73224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	348.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	73225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	380.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	73226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	381.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	73227

So, with limited Citroen experience I thought best to start at the back. Pulled all the bits off to check the body for rust, removed the roof as well as it needs repainting anyway. What I found hasn't been too bad: A little rust around the boot opening, C-pillars and the roof rails - but nothing major.

The car is overall straight, the floors appear in good nick, hydraulics working well, pump kicking in every 30 seconds or so. The bright work is in good condition, just needs polishing.

Name:	403.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	73228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	73229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	73230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	448.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	73231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	456.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	73232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	471.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	73233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	473.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	73234

The roof came off Ok, but unfortunately the beige roof rubber was that brittle that is broke into pieces removing it, so I am hunting for a new one... at the same time I might see if I can find new headliner material as mine is a tad faded. It isn't horrible, but as the roof is off I would prefer to replace it - anyone any suggestions where to find the correct material?

Name:	451.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	73235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	477.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	73236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	73237

Better put this post up before I lose it again (did last night...) and will add more in the next one...

First entry done! Hope you will enjoy the resto blog and I may lean on your combined experience at time.

Sven
    Sven,
    Our cars look to be at a very similar start point in terms of rust. Yours looks overall to be in much better condition that what I'm starting with. It will be interesting to pace each other.
    Re the headlining material. Mine looks shabby too and I was contemplating finding a foam backed velour similar to Pallas trim but I'm reluctant to go down the Pallasifying route. The embossed vinyl is actually un-damaged as yours looks to be too. Does anyone here know of a suitable spray vinyl paint, the kind they use to repair blemishes on PVC upholstery? Or is that not a way forward?

SF

Of course I ask the vinyl question at the relevant point then note AFTER that my question was already answered. Duh!
    I'm going to contact Uticolour ASAP.

SF

ScotFrog, Chris, contacted the Brisbane guy for Uticolour today.... $350 to come to my place and paint the four pieces, or $240 to take them to his place and paint match them there. Sounds expensive, but have no comparison... Chris, your comment reads like you used them before?

Sven

Do we have a reference colour code for these parts or can we give a section a thorough scrub to get rid of any oxidised surface issues then colour match?

SF

mnm

Perhaps the c pillar trim where it sits behind the seat cushion could be used as a reference?

Matthew

PS I scrubbed my roof lining with Jif when I first bought it and while it came up cleaner it still has a yellow aged look to it.

In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

Name:	314.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	73247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	317.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	73248

After:

Name:	405.jpg 
ID:	73249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	406.jpg 
Views:	348 
ID:	73250

Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day .

I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

Before:

Name:	232.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	73251

"After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

Name:	580.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	73252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	581.jpg 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	73253

Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on...

Sven
    I have a brand new one here for a wagon. Rolled up with slight damage from storage. I think the hole was in the middle somewhere. Not sure how the best route to make it useful is. They haven't been this color since they were new, 45 years ago.

Thanks daffy, jumped the gun and ordered one from Holland yesterday...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information