The "Blue Danube" - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 13 First 123456789 ... Last
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: The "Blue Danube"

Loving your work Sven!
    Flat head rivets. Am I correct in thinking flat head bifurcated rivets would do? If so PM me, I've got a swag of them.
    What I'm finding inspirational is how MUCH you get done and high quality too. Then I hear you talk about the kids. How do you do it!

Advertisement

I wish Matthew had not posted that 'all blue DS'. I was hanging in there grimly to my Blue Danube with silver on top but ... I used to be very indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

SF

1000+ Posts

The "Blue Danube"-image.jpgI have been using Autothane 2K which is good! Not worried about dying from it due to minimal exposure (cough). Used etch primer then high build primer then 2 coats of the topcoat. I understand 2K is easier to use than single and whilst some coats have been near really good I have had runs and orange peel on others. Just needs to sanded and buffed when that happens. You need to use the thinners spot on though, I have been risking with regular thinner but ideally should habe used slow for the higher temps here. Stopped for moment due to humidity creep. I also went back to bare metal, then electrolysis bath then zinc phosphate coating. Painting is fun prep is sheer hell!

The "Blue Danube"-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

The advice you have from Queensland Paint Supply is pretty well industry standard these days for 2K - It is the way I have prepared for paint. Once that high build primer is on you can use filler over the top to get your final shape, you will then need a coat or two of primer before top coats.

With 2K there are two options, clear over base, essential for metalics but also used with solid colour if you are looking for a deep finish. Or, you go with solid colour. You opt for one or the other, seems your paint supplier has given you option 2 and this is the way I intend painting my own car - a finish closer to original and easier to match if repairs are required later.
    I discussed the base over clear option with the guys at QLD paint supplies. But they promoted the solid colour option. Interestingly they also couldn't find a bleu danube colour match in base over clear. Neither could the painter who is doing my roof. So he is doing a sample for me in solid and wants to match that in base over clear - that should give me a good idea which one looks better I think!

The solid sounds much easier, but we will see...

Sven

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    Flat head rivets. Am I correct in thinking flat head bifurcated rivets would do? If so PM me, I've got a swag of them.
    What I'm finding inspirational is how MUCH you get done and high quality too. Then I hear you talk about the kids. How do you do it!

I wish Matthew had not posted that 'all blue DS'. I was hanging in there grimly to my Blue Danube with silver on top but ... I used to be very indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

SF
    Is your DS Blue Danube as well? Must have missed that, got any photos? Go for the silver roof, so we can compare! My white one against your silver one!

I am ok with the rivets for now... Just used standard ones. Not 100% correct, but look fine.

have been spending most weekends in the garage tinkering over the past two months, plus the odd extra day off... Have really been enjoying it, especially learning new skills like the welding and spray painting. The kids get banished or have to help... Which means they flee quickly and hide. But school holidays are over, so sport has started again. Will try and avoid it as much as I can and get my wife to do the runs.

Car restos are a strange thing I find: Once you start on one end and get to a certain standard you have to keep going at that level, otherwise the whole thing will look odd in the end. So this will be many more months of mucking around - but that is half the fun and the whole idea of it. I am sure at some stage I will be fed up, so might as well keep going while it lasts...

Sven

1000+ Posts

I'm fed up with doors. But totalement obsede!

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    One more:

I have had a look at those Atlas White wall inserts from Portawall - has anyone used those on their DS? Price appears to be OK and it gives the flexibility to add it to any tyre brand, so could combine white walls and XAS...

Attachment 75492

Am quite keen to get a set of 3" inserts - would look great with the blue and the white roof I think.

Attachment 75493

Thoughts? Easy to install?

Sven
    We use them Sven. They are fine. When you get up close you can see they eventually come away from the tyre, but they still look great.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe).

Oh, and a Holden and a Suzuki.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I'm fed up with doors. But totalement obsede!
    Colin loves doors. . .

Citroen DS Restoration

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by Lasya View Post
    We use them Sven. They are fine. When you get up close you can see they eventually come away from the tyre, but they still look great.
    might order a set from the US and give it a go... thanks for the feedback Lasya

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    might order a set from the US and give it a go... thanks for the feedback Lasya

I got mine from here in Aus on Ebay.

They fit in the bead.
    Gillian and Chris

Hi Sven,
    My DS WAS Bleu Danube but is now overspray, blotchy, 'Something' blue metallique.
    I've been to see Noel, the local painter guru and will hopefully have the panels stripped, prepped, faired and primed this summer while they are still on the chassis and therefore faired properly. The alignment is remarkably good with the only caveat being the rusted front LH guard. Dogboy supplied 2 replacements which are really clean where my guard is rusted and I am now assured that one excellent guard can be built from the 3. Once faired I then intend to leave the individual panels with him for 2 pack with clear over. He is more comfortable with 2 pack and because we live on dirt roads the tougher finish may resist damage better than acrylic. I know the dangers of touching up 2 pack but with access to this guy I'm not too fussed about that aspect.

I'll post photos the results on my restoration thread when they come to hand. I'll also post some progress shots while Noel resurrects the faulty guard for reference. His welding skills are a joy to see.

I'm still fixated on the silver roof so we can compare pictures when done. But at your rate of progress I doubt whether you'll see me in the rear vision mirror for some time.

SF

Default Next step - rear axles... and a few bits & bobs

Well, while I am still waiting for the roof to come back I finished off a few more items - C-pillar covers, internal roof rail and the stub axles/rear breaks/spheres.

The roof? Well, the painter appears to have done a good job on the priming, painting and clear... but has in the process scuffed and soiled the headliner that I repainted with the vinyl paint. And as he argued that he couldn't protect it properly (BS..) I won't give him more work. He is now trying to clean it up and repaint it - I hope he hasn't damaged the liner - I'll be furious if that's the case. Not happy...

In the mean time I wrestled Nagini into its rubber - what a crap job! I don't know how you guys got that sucker in, but the only way I managed to get it in was by bending it open to almost flat, then push one side into the rubber. Then flip the opposite rubber side over the steel snake and once that was all in, bend the whole thing back into its original shape. PITA. . But after cleaning it up and painting it also with the same vinyl paint as the headliner, it looked very good!

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1539.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1540.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1558.jpg

Sorry about the photos being on the side... must have something to do with how Windows 10 now uploads the photos off the iPhone - and even turning them or via URL doesn't work... ideas anyone?

So, sorry for having to crane your necks...

I also got the C-pillar covers back, but the anodising made them very thin... so I glued some 3mm rubber onto the inside to give them more strength and protect them.. Should work, worst case I have to cut the rubber buffers on the chassis by 3mm if they push it out too far.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1557.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1569.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1570.jpg

Next to do were both rear axles. Removal was relatively easy once all the peripheral gear was removed.
    (and now the bloody upload is upside down... that's a new one...)

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1541.jpg

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1563.jpg

But what a bitch it was to remove the bearings. Took Mark's advice (thank you) and a lot of brute force and propane to prise the nut (what a crap design with that funny tag - who in France dreamt that one up?) and collar off. But after regreasing and clean up it all looks fine. The second side was surprisingly easier...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1566.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1565.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1564.jpg

"Reassembly is the reverse of assembly " - all went together well. A good clean up and paint job finished the weekend.

(Now I can't get the photos uploaded at all any more... getting late. Try again tomorrow maybe). All it comes up is this "~ "...!? ... and the photo is now an attachment...

Will take the spheres to Lance tomorrow to check and regass, then paint them and the backend is done!

Bit of a scrappy blog entry - need to sort the photo issue out. Can't even move or copy any...

Sven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_1568.jpg  
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Default The "eagle" has landed!

First up again apologies for the photos cocked up... I think I got what happens with iphone photos: any taken holding the camera vertically appear to be uploaded 90 degrees counterclockwise. Photos taken landscape appear to get uploaded correctly... Will test my theory with the next lot of photos, but for now: bend & stretch again sorry!

Finished off both rear arms, all went together well, including the torsion bar. Newly regassed spheres and rubbers as well. Liked the break bleeding: start the car, open the bleed valve, press break pedal and wait until all air is out of the system... How easy can it be?

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-image.jpg

Then started on the three rear panels, rear fenders and boot lid. Only the lid had a couple of rust spots. With more welding experience under my belt the repair took only half an hour.

Rather than stripping the panels all the way back to metal, I am contemplating to leave the old blue and primer on as it appears to be in fair condition. Why take it off if it provides a good base..?!

Also came across this marking inside the boot lid: "4>>40" (or else?). I would have thought the 4 is April, but the 40 (if that is what it is, it is a bit hard to decipher), what could that mean?

Small weld repairs only...

The rear fenders are also in pretty staight shape, some filler was used ( maybe 2 mm in places), but it doesn't appear to have been put on to cover an accident or dent. It is quite even, more alike to ensuring good panel fit. Anyway, nothing to worry about...

And then the highligt of the week: the roof came back from the painter. They did an ok job, but not as good as I expected it to be for the amount of money quoted. So after discussions we agreed on a reduced price that matches more the quality. The job has some pinholes and fisheyes...

First I installed the rear trim - good advice to put it on before putting the roof on! Would have been bloody hard to install it afterwards. Quite awkward to get the clips on...

So I glued the rubber on with Sikaflex 252 white ( bloody hard to squeeze out that stuff...) and let it set an hour. Protected the head liner with some tape.

I decided to reinstall the chrome side rails before putting the roof on (right decision I think). They went on quite well. The left hand one needed some coercing, but all in all, a good start.

Prepared all the bolts, squeezed about a 2mm thick bead of Sikaflex into the roof seal groove and with the help of two mates lifted the roof in place. Fit snugly (sorry, no photos, all hands were required!). Only a limited amount of Sikaflex squeezed out and needed cleaning up. Was getting easier as the stuff set and was balling up.
    And after two hours of tightening bolts and cleaning up... A pristinly white roof was installed! Looks fantastic!
    Time for a few beers...

Again: "Beauuuuuutifuuuuul" - as Con the Fruiterer would say (again)....

very rewarding! Looking forward to now adding the trumpets and other trim back on it to finish the roof!

And prime the panels. And, and, and...

very satisfied....

Sven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-image.jpg  
    Last edited by bleudanube; 1st November 2015 at 10:19 PM.
    GreenBlood, ds21bvh and Lasya like this.

Roof looks sensational!! Love your work.
    Gillian and Chris

And then the white wall inserts arrived today! Lasya, I agree now - they will pull the whole look together, white roof, white walls, blue and white seats... I think it will look great.

Great service: they took four days from Turkey! Impressive...

now time to pull the old tyres off and get the rims powder coated. Found Mark's comment that Grey Nurse is a close match, should be a Dulux colour if I am not mistaken...

Also finished off the parcel shelf. I found a nicely grained vinyl, but as it was too floppy, I glued a 3mm rubber mat under it. Left a 5mm overhang of the vinyl, so it could slip nicely under the back window seal. Looks neat.

Sven

Icon11

Not my cup of tea but this will give you an idea. . . I don't mind the thin line that you saw on the early cars but not so keen on the full on white wall.

Cheers
    Chris
    bleudanube likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Not my cup of tea but this will give you an idea. . . I don't mind the thin line that you saw on the early cars but not so keen on the full on white wall.

Cheers
    Chris
    See.. I like that look now... Has been growing on me ....

Nice photo find! Hadn't seen that one before....

Sven
    GreenBlood likes this.

our whitewall depths are somewhere between the two of them. Will be nice to see how they look. My wife came up with a neat way of cleaning them. I'll have to ask her what is and get back to you.
    Gillian and Chris

They seem to be available from 1.5" to 3" - I went for the 3" ones as I thought the 2" were too narrow...
    If you could send the cleaning trick that would be great
    Last edited by bleudanube; 4th November 2015 at 11:03 PM.

Nice when you start putting bits back together...

Now that the roof is back on and the headliner has been tidied up after the painter marking it, I finished the parcel shelf, installed the rear screen and rubbers and clipped the rear cover between the C-pillars back on (took a couple of attempts as the clips didn't have a lot of grip at first).

Adding the C-pillar covers finished it off and looks very good now. Certainly much better than the silicon encrusted panels that came off a couple of months ago!

Also finshed the roof off by adding the rubber rail cover... After realising I made an error after painting it with the same vinyl paint: I rolled the rubber up the wrong way round, so when I installed it the vinyl paint cracked where the tight bends are. But repainting a couple of spots in situ fixed that.

I like the matching beige colour a lot more than the grey (even if grey is the original colour from what I can tell).

Next I thought I have a crack at panel work! After sanding the first layer of blue off I started hammering out the dents, welded up the holes where the trim strips were attached and leveled out the panel radii to match both rear panels (I am half thinking that the rear panels aren't original... Just a hunch though. But it would also fit with the rear bumper that has the holes for reversing lights that it shouldn't have).
    anyway, minor detail....

Finished the front roof trim off as well. Fit very well and even the clip went on well and straight.

Then set up the "spray booth", mixed up the paint and put on the first layer of 2k primer! It went on well and actually looks pretty good, then sanded it back with 120 grit, ready for the second layer soon.

The rear panels also came up well. More pin holes due to the filler, but overall happy with them... Sort of! As you can tell, I "ran out of paint"on the left panel ... Didn't realised the compressor tripped (thought the motor had blown) until I ran out of air pressure...

So I started running around like a headless chook trying to fault find while the paint in the gun slowly went off... F!$&k!!!
    Could not find the fault, so resigned to the fact that the motor was dead. Cleaned up the gun as well as possible without air. What a mess...

The next day I had another go at it, tested the motor (all ok... Weird!). Then by luck I saw a little button on the motor itself, pushed that and... The motor ran again, so it must have just overheated - well, now I know for next time. Guess I might not be able to do too many panels at the same time. And it might be safer to rent a booth and gear for the final top coat. Incidents like this one are repairable on primer, but on top coat?

Anyway, you learn something every day...

Sven
    Last edited by bleudanube; 9th November 2015 at 11:18 PM.

Default Sills & Doors.. And a little Bling!

Geez, feels like I haven't posted for weeks...

Had to add all the "acoutrements" to the roof. My C-pillar covers, althoug thinner than thin, have come up quite well, and putting shiny new lenses / indicators in finishes it off nicely with a bit of bling .

I was however disappointing that after only a couple of month being wrapped up in a towel, the brilliantly polished boot hinges already started to oxidise again... Hmmmm, so I thought I will be clever and clear coat them... Didn't turn out well at all - just not shiny enough...

so I tried the clear coat for headlights... Even worse...

I finally stripped the paint back off and polished it up again and will keep an eye on it. Anyone any ideas how to protect the finish for good ( or semi good anyway)?

Noice....

the only thing is irking me is that I buggered the roof rail where I tried to push the cone back on. Should learn to do the passengers side first, that way at least I don't have to stare at it every time I get into the car... Will need tidying up somehow, sometime later... Not now...

Well, roof done! Off onto the next area, the sills. pulled all the plates off and expected a few surprises, but no, nothing, sills are solid and, besides a kilo of dirst and crap, they are all good!

Was also trying the find where the points would be for the intertia reel seat belt attachments? Nothing apparent... Not in the B-pillar, not the sill upper, only the eye bolt point... What am I missing? How did you guys attach them - photos please!!!

Might have to drill a hole and use a large washer or else... Or can the eye bolt point be used somehow?

All good, no rust.... . Just need to clean them up properly, get the cover plates zinc plated again, get new z-seals and the white door seals and I can close them up. easy!

Off onto the doors. The next larger step, almost half way... Will do all four in one hit, so I can also do the door cards at the same time. After swearing and cursing how to rip out the guts of the first rear door ( who came up with the stupid horse shoe felt pad clamp... The only way I was able to jimmy that over the glass carrier was with a crow bar - surely that is not how it was intended to be done, but it was successful after all.

The first door took me two hours to pull apart.. The other three 15 minutes only. must admit I found the front doors easier than the back doors as the glass and guides are not as tight. anyway all parts out, sorted, boxed, ready for cleaning, plating, etc...

Rust you ask? Not bad... The doors look pretty good bar one that shows bubbles in the skin and three of the four bottom seal rubber holder are rooted, but that is an easy fix (I hope...)

Will I ever work out which screw and how many washers go where afterwards? dreading the glass guide installation and adjustment already...

But I like the naked car look... Went for a zip around the block, almost better than a convertible... 2 minutes later the coppers drive past... Ooops, that could have ended in a strange discussion

So I guess the next weeks are occupied with door prep work, waiting for parts and selecting the colours for the door cards.. Which blue will it be...

And the tyres should arrive soon, too. So the rims will need doing soon. But... It is coming together quite well.

Sven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-image.jpg  
    ds21bvh likes this.

1000+ Posts

those belt holes should be parallel central on the sill with the B pilar Sven. Press around the covering with fingers and see if you can feel a recess. Sounds better than hole! Otherwise they musn't be there, they are within the second skin of the inner sill and I guess one would have to cut into the sill to make one up otherwise.

Icon3

Hi Sven,

I could have saved you some agro with removing the door glass, I use the steering column spring tool. It slides into the clamp and using the lever you can twist to open the clamp - easy!!

Yours for a loan when refitting the glass

Respect!! What a nice result with the C pillars. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Under the vinyl on the sill on the horizontal plane you'll find a recess directly under the b pillar. sometimes they're covered with tape too which can prevent the vinyl depressing. I can send you a photo if you pm your phone number.
    Gillian and Chris

Hi Sven,

I could have saved you some agro with removing the door glass, I use the steering column spring tool. It slides into the clamp and using the lever you can twist to open the clamp - easy!!

Yours for a loan when refitting the glass

Chris
    Ooooooooooh.... I did have an incling that I saw some photo of some tool for the doors somewhere... Now I know what I was thinking about. Yes, I might take you up on this, the last thing I need is to scratch the new paint when it is done one day...

Sven

Default On with the doors...

So I can remake new door cards, I spent a couple of hours pulling the vinyl off... How many staples can someone use on such a small panel? Interesting way they have been put together. Got some blue velour samples coming from Richard at Citro-Toon so I can pick which blue will work best for the interior. So I thought I might as well start on it as it will need to be pulled apart...

and what did I find? Under the door pocket a piece of the original headliner fabric was used to pad things out - time to compare to my liner painted with vinyl paint...

All laid out...

Here the comparison to the C-pillar cover -perfect...

Also polished the hub caps. After a little hammer and dolly work most of the dents came out. Then a little filing, sanding with various grades and two stages of polishing. Came out ok, but not perfect, but they are hubcaps after all - happy with it.

Then onto cleaning all the various door seals and rubber, fuzzy strips, etc. scrubbing off 40 years of baked on dirt isnt great fun, but has to be done I guess. Most rubber are still in pretty good condition, just one fuzzy strip needs replacing.

The two outside front door seals became all wavy after washing... Hmmm, so they also need replacing.

Question for the brainstrust: below a photo of the outside seals. The left ones are from the front doors: they are rubber. But the rear ones on the right are also rubber as such, but have a velvety/fuzzy surface, whereas the front ones don't...

Is that original or which version should be on all four windows? Does it matter?

Also two of the window glass holders have rusted quite badly. Put another post on the main site, maybe someone has spares they like to sell me? I could repair them, but a lot of rooting around...

You can see the split of the channel from the rust. Both rear side ones need replacing...

Anyway, step by step we move forward...
    GreenBlood and Lasya like this.

Page 5 of 13 First 123456789 ... Last

Thread Information