Some good images of the repairs you are undertaking here
    DS 23 IE BVH PALLAS 1974 RESTAURATION 12. | Citrothello

Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Default Bit more "elephant eating" this weekend...

Another productive weekend completed... tackled a couple of jobs: Rust removal, panel fabrication and finally... welding! Thanks to Chris' welder I had a go at it.

But that further down, first job was the respray of the head liner. Bought three more cans of the SEM Off White vinyl paint, which was just enough to cover the roof.

I had the c-pillar cover done the weekend before - they came out very well:

Attachment 73873

The headliner had a few bubbles where the liner had come off the roof. I tried to get at it from the side, but as soon as I tried to cut/pry/weasel the rubber liner off the roof it started breaking, so that was a no-go option.

So to get the Kwik Grip glue into the bubble I opted to cut a vertical incision into the bubbles that I afterwards glued shut again and filled with Selley's no more gaps. I put the cuts on the "rear side" of the bubbles, which should not be visible when you were to look back from the front seats at the liner.

I used a steel ruler to shove the glue into the bubbles, closed them up and put the clamps on for half an hour (with plenty of padding, to not leave marks in the rubber). Seems to have worked well.. i.e. they haven't open up yet .

Attachment 73874

Then off into the "spray booth " and applied the first can of paint... looked horrible! Especially on the back end (bottom of the photos) where someone stuck the cross member on with red silicon the paint didn't take up well first up and the whole roof looked very stripy.

Attachment 73875Attachment 73876

But after two more cans, varying the spray pattern, filling more gaps and little nicks with "no more gaps" and then turning the roof 90 degrees to spray across the previous work - it came out well. Nice and light, pretty even and I think once installed it will be hard to make out any variations in colour. Very happy with the result.

Attachment 73877Attachment 73878

So the roof is pretty much ready for painting... the steel frame has been POR 15'ed, all the old sealer crud is off. But will wait until the roof rails are repaired and the roof seal arrives (if it ever does - it is in the lost package... ). Then trial fit it and decide on colour: White or silver?

Part 2 of the weekend was more metalwork:

Cut out the bottom corner of the wheel arch where someone previously did a pretty rough repair. As it quite a tricky shape, I cut it out in paper first to at least get a rough shape.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-020.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-037.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-038.jpg

After a bit of bending, hammering, dolly work and the like the shape was fairly decent - at least better than what had been there. Once that panel is welded in, I put the extension of the seal retainer on top of it. Should then look reasonably good - especially once it is all painted.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-040.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-041.jpg

I then mulled over the left hand side of the wheel arch/seal retainer/guard seal holder channels, etc. It has been badly patched with sheet metal pieces inside the wheel arch. It had holes and crap welds... so I bit the bullet and decided to cut it out and fabricate the piece myself... DOH ! Not the easiest shape to bend and shape as there are a lot of 3D curves.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-044.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-045.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-046.jpg

Once I had the widths and radii of the channel about right, I tried to put the wheel arch curve into it... that wasn't too hard on the rubber seal outside: At least I could get a hammer onto it.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-050.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-051.jpg

The inner side is still a tad wonky, but I think once welded into place, a little filler and it will then look OK. The section will be covered by the boot carpet as well, so not thaaaat important to get it 100% (excuses, excuses already...).

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-052.jpg

The only bit I need to reorder is the left hand boot seal channel. It is rooted and too hard to replicate. Plus the part is available as a repro part for a few Euros - might even get both sides.

Unless someone out there has a spare they don't need anymore? Happy to take it off your hands for a small donation...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-054.jpg

Part 3 of the weekend:

Well, I went over to meet Chris and his wife and have a sticky beak at his D Super - fantastic work to date and it will be even better to see it all painted, shiny and new - and drivable! With 5 speed and air con... hmmmm, like it!

So Chris sent me his welder... as mentioned before, how hard can it be .

Sunday morning I mucked around (after watching a number of You Tube MIG videos of course ) blowing holes into test panels and try to do a half decent spot weld. Needs a lot more work, but got to start somewhere..

Here a few shitty panels - experienced welders: Please look away now!!!!

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-055.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-057.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-056.jpg

Still can't form a nice mound - mine all seem to have a crater shape... anyway: Let's just have a crack at a live patient. After two hours of tests I am surely ready for open heart surgery on the "real thing" .

What can go wrong...

Well, it actually looked OK to my amazement...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-058.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-060.jpg

Did I mention shitty looking welds? Started with a tiny flat patch, then got onto the bent rail side. After grinding it all back it looked fair, not great, but fair. Still need to tidy up a few spots, like the upper edge of the roof rail where I blew a hole in (but have now played with the heat sink concept of sticking a piece of alu/copper behind it - seems to work)

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-061.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-062.jpg

So I got cocky and did another five patches.. all look pretty good bar one where the one side shifted a tad. But it is behind the chrome cover and I will be able to blend it in Ok I think.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-063.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-064.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-059.jpg

All good fun! More next weekend - will be nice to get the roof rails finished on both sides, so they can be painted and the roof put back on. Then onto the boot pieces - that'll be a bit trickier. Have to learn how to do clean welds by then. Will talk to the guys at work to see what I need to change and get a lesson...

Sven
    Dano likes this.

Bugger, the roof pictures didn't upload...

Copy and paste again:

Another productive weekend completed... tackled a couple of jobs: Rust removal, panel fabrication and finally... welding! Thanks to Chris' welder I had a go at it.

But that further down, first job was the respray of the head liner. Bought three more cans of the SEM Off White vinyl paint, which was just enough to cover the roof.

I had the c-pillar cover done the weekend before - they came out very well:

Attachment 73873The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-009.jpg

The headliner had a few bubbles where the liner had come off the roof. I tried to get at it from the side, but as soon as I tried to cut/pry/weasel the rubber liner off the roof it started breaking, so that was a no-go option.

So to get the Kwik Grip glue into the bubble I opted to cut a vertical incision into the bubbles that I afterwards glued shut again and filled with Selley's no more gaps. I put the cuts on the "rear side" of the bubbles, which should not be visible when you were to look back from the front seats at the liner.

I used a steel ruler to shove the glue into the bubbles, closed them up and put the clamps on for half an hour (with plenty of padding, to not leave marks in the rubber). Seems to have worked well.. i.e. they haven't open up yet .

Attachment 73874The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-036.jpg

Then off into the "spray booth " and applied the first can of paint... looked horrible! Especially on the back end (bottom of the photos) where someone stuck the cross member on with red silicon the paint didn't take up well first up and the whole roof looked very stripy.

Attachment 73875Attachment 73876The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-042.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-043.jpg

But after two more cans, varying the spray pattern, filling more gaps and little nicks with "no more gaps" and then turning the roof 90 degrees to spray across the previous work - it came out well. Nice and light, pretty even and I think once installed it will be hard to make out any variations in colour. Very happy with the result.

Attachment 73877Attachment 73878The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-047.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-048.jpg

So the roof is pretty much ready for painting... the steel frame has been POR 15'ed, all the old sealer crud is off. But will wait until the roof rails are repaired and the roof seal arrives (if it ever does - it is in the lost package... ). Then trial fit it and decide on colour: White or silver?

Icon12

Hi Sven,

You've done well with your first attempts with the MIG.

Couple of things you could try, plug the welder directly into a power socket - don't use an extension lead. When starting a weld have about 6 - 8mm of wire at the tip. Always start a new weld with the wire snipped.

Spend more time playing with power and wire speed settings.

As above have a good look at the tutorials on this site - MIG Welding Tutorial, Techniques and Practical
    The videos are excellent, listen to the sound of a good weld.

Your first welds are far better than mine were, but at that time I was welding gassless - now that's fun

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Hi Sven,

Good on you for having a go... just a couple of tips to add to Chris's...

1. Get a stainless wire brush for a drill bit and clean the metal at the join till its bright before welding - this helps with conductivity.

2. Avoid doing small replacement patches - go for a larger area or whole panel if you can as small patches concentrate the heat and potential blow through.

By the look of your blobs I would turn the wire speed down a bit - it looks like there is too much wire going through too quickly. Also turn the gas up a little when your learning as it helps.

It's very hard to do nice straight welds in sheet metal - it's very unforgiving. I've never been completely happy with my work. It's much easier on thicker stuff. I was disappointed with how my repair to the C-pillar panned out but that's life....

If I could weld like Chris I'd be over the moon...

Also - just my opinion - seeing the rust under the those gutters in the pictures I'd consider replacing the rain gutters both sides as they are available as a pattern part. Darrin has them as a stock item.

If you want to drop over you can see what I did to the 71. It was very straightforward and easy to do.

Cheers,

Mark...

Yes, I think you are right - might replace both sides of the boot.

Also worked out why my welds look so poor... the regulator didn't open up properly and was sticking, so not enough gas flowed. The guys at work tested the welder, got a new regulator and once that was installed the welds looked a lot better!

Will trial it at home some time this week.

Sven

Default Parcel shelf covering..?

On a different note:

I know everyone sells a parcel shelf covering - normally I think black vinyl or brown... seems to be more the vinyl that the boot liners are made from?

a) do they fit 100% if I get one from Europe?

b) why didn't Citroen use the same patterned vinyl from the D Super sills for its parcel shelf as well so it actually matched the interior of the car (I know this is a rethorical question... not expecting any serious answers here )? I would think that might actually look quite good. Not period original, but an option? Not sure its even available in that width, but as an idea?

What have others used?

Sven

Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    On a different note:

I know everyone sells a parcel shelf covering - normally I think black vinyl or brown... seems to be more the vinyl that the boot liners are made from?

a) do they fit 100% if I get one from Europe?

b) why didn't Citroen use the same patterned vinyl from the D Super sills for its parcel shelf as well so it actually matched the interior of the car (I know this is a rethorical question... not expecting any serious answers here )? I would think that might actually look quite good. Not period original, but an option? Not sure its even available in that width, but as an idea?

What have others used?

Sven
    Hi Sven,
    Slow down, slow down you are making me feel so slack!

Re parcel shelf my '74 has a felt backed vinyl plus a grubby shag pile rug bonded on top but I'm replacing it with foam backed vinyl (Spotlight) with similar grain to the upholstery trims I got from Citro-Classique. This was what was on a 73 Pallas I used to own and it looked good.

Icon11

Also worked out why my welds look so poor... the regulator didn't open up properly and was sticking, so not enough gas flowed. The guys at work tested the welder, got a new regulator and once that was installed the welds looked a lot better!

Will trial it at home some time this week.

Sven
    Wonder how long it's been like that

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Wonder how long it's been like that

Cheers
    Chris
    Must have been faulty from new
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Must have been faulty from new
    That it!! I'm cutting out all my welds and starting again. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Faulty from start? I can't imagine that. It has a "QC checked by # 1" sticker on it..... anyway, let's see whether it helps my welds.....
    Listerjag likes this.

Default Steering Wheel tape "rewinding"?

Question:

Has anyone ever had a go at trying to re-tape the steering wheel? Either with a new tape (if it is actually available anywhere) or reusing the existing one?

If yes, how was it done? Especially, what glue was used, how to ensure the start and finish won't come apart afterwards, etc.

Mine has got a few gaps at the top of the wheel, so you may have some tips how to close them up...

Cheers Sven

Question:

Has anyone ever had a go at trying to re-tape the steering wheel? Either with a new tape (if it is actually available anywhere) or reusing the existing one?

If yes, how was it done? Especially, what glue was used, how to ensure the start and finish won't come apart afterwards, etc.

Mine has got a few gaps at the top of the wheel, so you may have some tips how to close them up...

Cheers Sven
    Flick Matthew a PM, he's had success re-taping

DS Steering Wheel - can I change to first type.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Default How to rejuvinate the Stoneguard paint..?

And another question while I am at it...

Has anyone had any success rejuvenating the original "Stoneguard" paint in the wheel arches or floors, etc..? Mine looks still pretty good, but is grey, dirty, and hence not pretty, shiny and new. Yes, I could grind it all off and die of rubber poisoning and crap all over my face for days / weeks on end, but why touch it if it is still in good condition and original?

Any tricks anyone? Clean with (wire) brush and degreaser/truck wash and then paint over the top maybe?

Ideas welcome!

Sven

And another question while I am at it...

Has anyone had any success rejuvenating the original "Stoneguard" paint in the wheel arches or floors, etc..?
    Sven
    Hi Sven,

A high pressure washer brings it up really nicely.... I think the dust gets impregnated in the coating and makes it look dirty...

Cheers,

Mark...

If you are still waiting on Franzose, I was in a similar boat, ordered 1/6/15, and about two weeks ago after continued emails, they finally refunded the money to my paypal account as It was an insured shipment.
    They didn't actually reply, just refunded. I have ordered from them a few times and it always took one month give or take a week up until now. The website implied the package never even left Germany.

I wrapped my steering wheel, and it is quite easy with an assistant. Darrin the UK can sell you a wheel or it.

Nice job with the restoration by the way!
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://blog.docmong.com

Thanks Bryce,

I might muck around a bit with the existing steering wheel band. How is it attached at the begining and end? Is it just glued on or else? Or stuck under the chrome cover?

Re my German mates at Der Franzose: after a few ranting and raving emails, they have now finally admited that the parcel went sea freight (apparently to clear a parcel backlog after a mail strike in Germany), rather than blaming the Aussie Post. But they have gone onto the charme offensive and are resending the parts is ordered. Hopefully they arrive via airfreight ( as my second parcel did just arrive) so I can start putting new bits onto the car.

Sven

Thanks Bryce,

I might muck around a bit with the existing steering wheel band. How is it attached at the begining and end? Is it just glued on or else? Or stuck under the chrome cover?

Sven
    There are small holes where the end of the tape tucks into the wheel. You need to cut it so it fits into the hole. I used glue and also covered the first 2 cm with black tape as it was still coming out. You hardly see the black tape at all.

For more:
    Wrapping the Citroen DS steering wheel « Classic Jalopy
    Update: DS Steering wheel wrap and rear trim « Classic Jalopy
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://blog.docmong.com

mnm

Hi Sven

here is the thread I started about the steering wheel tape if it helps. The tape feeds into two small holes either side of the bracket. I used double sided tape at various points of the wheel to keep it in place... and secured it with masking tape as I wound it on... if you lose your grip it unwinds allllll the way back to the beginning.... don't ask how I know.

DS Steering wheel tape

Matthew

My tape seems in fine condition, just has a few gaps... Do you think it is possible to unwind the old one and rewind it without gaps?

mnm

My tape seems in fine condition, just has a few gaps... Do you think it is possible to unwind the old one and rewind it without gaps?
    Yes it should be possible. My old tape came off easily.. it was glued on so just be careful you don't break it as you unwind it... the glue wasn't very strong though. My old tape was broken at both ends so unfortunately I couldn't rewind it. The tape will unwind but keep its shape...having been wrapped in place for 40+ years... so you will be closing up the gaps you have by re-placing the tape back in its correct position, not actually wrapping it back around if you know what I mean.

Matthew

Default The last two week's progress...

Progress has been good over the past two weekends. Have been putting Chris' welder to good use and have finished the complete roof rails, the boot panels and prepped everything ready for painting the whole boot / back end of the car.

Quite proud of my work actually... especially the dodgy repair on the left backend wheel arch has turned out really well. Remember what the price looked like I cut out?

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-045.jpg

someone bodged the holes with plate underneath, riveted them on and just added lots of under body schutz... not pretty at all. After a fair bit of rooting around with the hammer, vice and welder, the fashioned piece was in place.

My welds..? Still not pretty.... I think the gas ran out again, so "bird droppings" it had to be...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-011-2-.jpg

But after a few hours on the angle grinder (sorry neighbours about the noise! ) it looked fantastic! The thing that took me three attempts was the plug welding of the seal retainer piece... beats me: I couldn't get the welds to penetrate properly. But after playing with the welder settings it finally worked! Once painted it'll be hard to spot where the repair section is.

Attachment 74368

Now I only need to put back the boot seal retainer (on the way / both sides) and it will be like new.

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-041-2-.jpg The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-042-2-.jpg

And Mark, you were right: After smothering the wheel arches' bitumen in truck wash and giving it a good blast with the steam cleaner... they came out like new! Nice and black. Didn't think that would be that easy to rejuvenate the stuff...

Before:

Attachment 74370

After...

Attachment 74369

The second job I wanted to finish were the roof rails. Done the right hand side last weekend. Again, cutting out the rusty sections, make up panel sections, weld them in, grind them off (hate grinding already... dirty, noisy, boring, worse than sanding filler...), degrease, metal prep, POR 15 x 2 - bingo: Nice and black and shiny. This weekend I did the left hand side - same deal with eight patches. Looks great! And sets the standard for the rest...

Attachment 74371

Attachment 74372

Attachment 74374
    The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-043-2-.jpg
    The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-044-2-.jpg

Also been umming and ahhing what to do with cracked bitumen drumming layer on the parcel shelf. Decided to just give it a bit of a clean and leave it in place. It gets covered anyway, but also retain the originality of the car. Will just paint the surrounds and that's that.

Attachment 74373

And then I had my first attempt at spraying 2K high build primer... I have been considering to buy a compressor and spray gun for yonks... has always been one of those items I wanted, but always worked around it with spray cans, or mates or outsourcing.

Again, I thought I give those tiny PREVAL sprayers a go...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-preval.jpg

They fit about 175ml of paint and are supposed to be OK for smaller jobs... well, they don't work on high build primer! . The poor thing was spluttering and struggling to put any paint through that nozzle. I will have another play with them on the black top coat - might work Ok on "normal" paint, not high build..

Anyway, sort of got there in the end: Used up one spray can, plus a bit of "heathen" brush work - DOH!

Voila - one primed backend. Ready for sanding and top coat.

Attachment 74375

But I think I am only delaying the inevitable... a compressor and gun is next on the list.

To finish off the day, I removed the steel crimping "snake" that is inside the rubber rail cover. As mentioned before, my rubber ain't rubbery any more - it is rock hard, so I had to use brute force and smash it to pieces... good fun!

Attachment 74376
    The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-039-2-.jpg

Rewarding...

And one more: As the paint on my roof is pretty knackered anyway and needs repainting, I resorted to painting it myself. I still cannot decide whether the roof should be painted white (Blanc Cygne) or Silver (Gris Nacre).

So I painted half the roof white and half silver... using the sloppy method of a paint brush, matt ceiling white and silver metallic that I had left over (don't ask where in the house the silver has been used ).

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-016-2-.jpg

Once the roof rails are 100% dry (i.e. next weekend) I will put it on and take photos from both sides to see what moves me most. To date the score is 4:0 from the neighbours/wife/kids in favour of silver. But not convinced yet, not convinced... .

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-576.jpg

Too common, or just pure 70s?

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-564.jpg

Silver roof... maybe not bad either...

The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-572.jpg

Or complete make over: Bleu d'Orient with silver roof and a bit of "bling" (non Pallas that would be though!) Needs to remain a D Super after all...

It will come to me... one day...

Til next week.

Sven

Bugger, some attachments again didn't come through - what am I doing wrong? They are there when I edit the post... but not after saving? I also always attaché the smaller thumbnails - how do I upload the full size photos?

Sven

Progress has been good over the past two weekends. Have been putting Chris' welder to good use and have finished the complete roof rails, the boot panels and prepped everything ready for painting the whole boot / back end of the car.

Quite proud of my work actually... especially the dodgy repair on the left backend wheel arch has turned out really well. Remember what the price looked like I cut out?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	74378

someone bodged the holes with plate underneath, riveted them on and just added lots of under body schutz... not pretty at all. After a fair bit of rooting around with the hammer, vice and welder, the fashioned piece was in place.

My welds..? Still not pretty.... I think the gas ran out again, so "bird droppings" it had to be...

Name:	011 (2).jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	74387

But after a few hours on the angle grinder (sorry neighbours about the noise! ) it looked fantastic! The thing that took me three attempts was the plug welding of the seal retainer piece... beats me: I couldn't get the welds to penetrate properly. But after playing with the welder settings it finally worked! Once painted it'll be hard to spot where the repair section is.

Attachment 74368

Now I only need to put back the boot seal retainer (on the way / both sides) and it will be like new.

Name:	041 (2).jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	74383 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	042 (2).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	74384

And Mark, you were right: After smothering the wheel arches' bitumen in truck wash and giving it a good blast with the steam cleaner... they came out like new! Nice and black. Didn't think that would be that easy to rejuvenate the stuff...

Before:

Attachment 74370

After...

Attachment 74369

The second job I wanted to finish were the roof rails. Done the right hand side last weekend. Again, cutting out the rusty sections, make up panel sections, weld them in, grind them off (hate grinding already... dirty, noisy, boring, worse than sanding filler...), degrease, metal prep, POR 15 x 2 - bingo: Nice and black and shiny. This weekend I did the left hand side - same deal with eight patches. Looks great! And sets the standard for the rest...

Attachment 74371

Attachment 74372

Attachment 74374

Name:	043 (2).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	74385

Name:	044 (2).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	74386

Also been umming and ahhing what to do with cracked bitumen drumming layer on the parcel shelf. Decided to just give it a bit of a clean and leave it in place. It gets covered anyway, but also retain the originality of the car. Will just paint the surrounds and that's that.

Attachment 74373

And then I had my first attempt at spraying 2K high build primer... I have been considering to buy a compressor and spray gun for yonks... has always been one of those items I wanted, but always worked around it with spray cans, or mates or outsourcing.

Again, I thought I give those tiny PREVAL sprayers a go...

Name:	Preval.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	74389

They fit about 175ml of paint and are supposed to be OK for smaller jobs... well, they don't work on high build primer! . The poor thing was spluttering and struggling to put any paint through that nozzle. I will have another play with them on the black top coat - might work Ok on "normal" paint, not high build..

Anyway, sort of got there in the end: Used up one spray can, plus a bit of "heathen" brush work - DOH!

Voila - one primed backend. Ready for sanding and top coat.

Attachment 74375

But I think I am only delaying the inevitable... a compressor and gun is next on the list.

To finish off the day, I removed the steel crimping "snake" that is inside the rubber rail cover. As mentioned before, my rubber ain't rubbery any more - it is rock hard, so I had to use brute force and smash it to pieces... good fun!

Attachment 74376

Name:	039 (2).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	74377

Rewarding...

And one more: As the paint on my roof is pretty knackered anyway and needs repainting, I resorted to painting it myself. I still cannot decide whether the roof should be painted white (Blanc Cygne) or Silver (Gris Nacre).

So I painted half the roof white and half silver... using the sloppy method of a paint brush, matt ceiling white and silver metallic that I had left over (don't ask where in the house the silver has been used ).

Name:	016 (2).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	74390

Once the roof rails are 100% dry (i.e. next weekend) I will put it on and take photos from both sides to see what moves me most. To date the score is 4:0 from the neighbours/wife/kids in favour of silver. But not convinced yet, not convinced... .

Name:	576.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	74393

Too common, or just pure 70s?

Name:	564.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	74391

Silver roof... maybe not bad either...

Name:	572.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	74392

Or complete make over: Bleu d'Orient with silver roof and a bit of "bling" (non Pallas that would be though!) Needs to remain a D Super after all...

It will come to me... one day...

Til next week.

Sven
    Even weirder... when I reply to myself with quote the photos are there again... let's see what happens when I press the post button - do they disappear again or remain in place..!?

Page 3 of 13 First 1234567 ... Last

Thread Information