The "Blue Danube" - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 13 First 12345612 ... Last
Results 26 to 50 of 307
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: The "Blue Danube"

  1. #26
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    In the mean time I straightened out the C and B-Pillar corrugated covers. Before:

    Attachment 73247Attachment 73248

    After:

    Attachment 73249Attachment 73250

    Having them re-anodised at work.. the B-pillar ones turned out well, but haven't taken a photo yet... but nice to have the first parts ready to go back on one day .

    I also sent the instrument bezels to A-Class Anodisers, a plastic anodiser, in Adelaide (couldn't find any others, so the prices were exorbitant - but as you stare at the bezels any time you drive they need to get done. And trust me: Chrome paint doesn't work Waste of money!) But they turned out extremely well - a really good job!

    Before:

    Attachment 73251

    "After" photo to come... trust me, worth doing...

    Advertisement


    Also been trialling vinyl paint on the headliner (just in case I cannot get the right material and need to rejuvenate the yellowed and stained one. Could only get "White" and "Sand" colour... none really work, white is too light and sand too dark beige... anyone any ideas on where to get an "off White" colour?

    Attachment 73252Attachment 73253

    Just trialled it on the back of the C to roof liner - the paint is actually pretty good, just the colour doesn't match - anyway: Let's Nimble it and move on...

    Sven
    Can I ask how you straightened out the corrugated pillar covers?

    Alistair

  2. #27
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Can I ask how you straightened out the corrugated pillar covers?

    Alistair
    Not rocket science: folded up a towel so it was quite well cushioned and then just used by thumbs to massage them into shape. Mine were quite soft ( not sure whether they are all like that), so that worked well for the larger dents, etc. the smaller dents I got out pretty well using the back end of a wooden pencil. The hexagon shaped radii seemed to fit the corrugations pretty well and then just carefully rubbed and pushed out the dents.

  3. #28
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    Not rocket science: folded up a towel so it was quite well cushioned and then just used by thumbs to massage them into shape. Mine were quite soft ( not sure whether they are all like that), so that worked well for the larger dents, etc. the smaller dents I got out pretty well using the back end of a wooden pencil. The hexagon shaped radii seemed to fit the corrugations pretty well and then just carefully rubbed and pushed out the dents.
    Many thanks...

  4. #29
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default 3rd time lucky!

    With the words of "Con the Fruiterer": Beautifuuuul...!

    Have found an excellent match for the vinyl headliner and the C-pillar covers - SEM's Super White. Bought it from Prestige Paints in Archerfield. Did use a whole can on the three small parts, but it is very even and very good looking - nice and bright and not too white.

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0548.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-img_0549.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-img_0550.jpg

    Have to get a few more cans, but am looking forward doing the roof.

    To not end up with all the overspray on the garage floor and everything else that is around I built myself a "spray booth" - a few lengths of 25x25mm aluminium extrusions, Qubelok joiners, paint sheets and voila: A spray booth

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0547.jpg

    worked well on the vinyl paint...

    Here also the promised photos of the re-anodised B-Pillar covers and the dash chrome bezels - they all came out really well:

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0551.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-img_0552.jpg

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0553.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-img_0554.jpg

    Once I got the C-Pillar ones back I'll stick them on here as well for you to look at...

    Not being the metal work expert I started on the rust repairs. Bought a sheet of 1mm steel and started making up the roof rail pieces...

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0555.jpg

    Ended up being a pretty easy job, so moved onto the more tricky bits on the C-Pillars. That was rewarding. Really enjoyed fitting and cutting the areas - time to weld them in next...

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0556.jpgThe "Blue Danube"-img_0557.jpg

    The bottom of the boot will be a little more difficult... three panels coming together and lots of radii. Looking forward to it! I first thought I leave it as is was, but it stared me in the eye with its poxy repairs and a couple of small holes in it... putty could fill it, but that's not cricket, is it!?

    The "Blue Danube"-img_0558.jpg

    Not sure I get time tomorrow, but we'll see...

    And one more add-on regarding my German mates from Der Franzose: Found out the reason my parcel hasn't arrived in two months is.... SEA FREIGHT! Am I the only one astonished about that? It is a pretty light parcel and to send it sea freight is the 19th century method.

    Ordered also a few parts from Citroworld in NL - let's see what method they use...maybe a bicycle courier!

    Looks like patience will be a virtue and will be tested thoroughly. Maybe I am just used to Pelican Parts supplies ex the US - airfreight and here within 2 weeks...

    Sven
    mnm and GreenBlood like this.

  5. #30
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I said it before, I'll say it again:

    Candy purple.

    Nobody up for the challenge yet, sadly.


    Sadly!!

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  6. #31
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon14

    Sven,

    You struck gold with your supplier with the plastic chrome, an absolutely sensational result



    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  7. #32
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Hi Sven,

    Been trying to get to posting here now for over a week...!

    Good to meet you again and as I said the car is a cracker - nice and solid, drives beautifully and perfect colour....

    It seems the C-pillar replacement work is in the air, I see Tim has been doing his also and I've just spent quite a few days fixing mine with new drain channels.... I think a legacy of being a Bondi car - the salt air being washed into the upper surfaces. The car is perfect everywhere except the boot tops, door bottoms, headlight bottoms and the centre front of the roof rail.

    Keep up the good work...!

    Cheers,

    Mark...

    The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150801_104612.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150801_150520.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150802_144546.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150813_195052.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150813_195056.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150814_194418.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150815_145933.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150815_164435.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150816_183914.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150816_183928.jpgThe &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-img_20150816_183934.jpg

  8. #33
    Fellow Frogger! Balki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ulverstone/Tasmania
    Posts
    566

    Default

    who did you get to reanodise the pillar trims?

  9. #34
    Fellow Frogger! denxm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    uki aust
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Bit off topic,but looking at the wheels on the purple ds 21 reminded me when i had to repair and paint a Aveling Barford road roller,
    the type with a big steel roller at the front and a high roller either side.
    painted it cat yellow and did the side roller wheels like the purple ds,did look different rolling down the road.

  10. #35
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alphington
    Posts
    798

    Default

    It's all worth it, that's for sure.

  11. #36
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alphington
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Fantastic project there bleudanube. I'm going to reinstate the Blue Andalou that was originally on mine AC623. I'm wondering about whether to have a contrasting roof - white, gris or even noir - but will see. Plenty to go on with here before this decision needs to be made.

    Tim

  12. #37
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Sven,

    Been trying to get to posting here now for over a week...!

    Good to meet you again and as I said the car is a cracker - nice and solid, drives beautifully and perfect colour....

    It seems the C-pillar replacement work is in the air, I see Tim has been doing his also and I've just spent quite a few days fixing mine with new drain channels.... I think a legacy of being a Bondi car - the salt air being washed into the upper surfaces. The car is perfect everywhere except the boot tops, door bottoms, headlight bottoms and the centre front of the roof rail.

    Keep up the good work...!

    Cheers,

    Mark...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150801_104612.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	73582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150801_150520.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	73583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150802_144546.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	73584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150813_195052.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	73585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150813_195056.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	73586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150814_194418.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	73587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150815_145933.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	73588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150815_164435.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	73589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150816_183914.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	73590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150816_183928.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	73591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150816_183934.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	73592

    I am dipping my toes into work that I haven't done before, and as Chris and many others here on this forum stated: you learn as you go and once you learn how to do a job... None of them are rocket science, just patience required and to learn from the errors made.

    It is like my metal work bits: now that they worked well and didn't take me 50 attempts I'm thinking: how hard can welding be? Or the paint "booth": Surely I can do the basics and at least get it to 2K primer stage ��? So a welder and spray gun/compressor might be next on th shopping list ��

    Taken plenty of inspiration from Chris' blog, but have also been thinking: wonder what lurks under that rust bubble under the headlights.... Might well be worse than it looks at face value... ��

    Sven

  13. #38
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    who did you get to reanodise the pillar trims?
    Balki, bit of home turf advantage : I run a business that has an anodising plant, so my guys had a go at the b-pillar ones first and are doing the c-pillar ones next... Trying to get a softer finish next... We will see.

    Sven

  14. #39
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Fantastic project there bleudanube. I'm going to reinstate the Blue Andalou that was originally on mine AC623. I'm wondering about whether to have a contrasting roof - white, gris or even noir - but will see. Plenty to go on with here before this decision needs to be made.

    Tim
    yep, am in the same position... Plenty of time still, but somehow I like to know what I am shooting for and how the end goal will look like. Am torn between the bleu Andalou or remain faithful to the Danube. Either way the car will get a white roof, so I will get some interim fix and will be one step closer to the big decision when it is due...

    and then the interior... Blue/white? Or maybe red/white , just to be all out there... Think I saw a photo of that combo in mnm's selection...

    Sven

  15. #40
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    I am dipping my toes into work that I haven't done before, and as Chris and many others here on this forum stated: you learn as you go and once you learn how to do a job... None of them are rocket science, just patience required and to learn from the errors made.

    It is like my metal work bits: now that they worked well and didn't take me 50 attempts I'm thinking: how hard can welding be? Or the paint "booth": Surely I can do the basics and at least get it to 2K primer stage ��? So a welder and spray gun/compressor might be next on th shopping list ��

    Taken plenty of inspiration from Chris' blog, but have also been thinking: wonder what lurks under that rust bubble under the headlights.... Might well be worse than it looks at face value... ��

    Sven
    Sven,
    My MIG is yours for a loan if you would like to experiment, I'm pretty well finished with rust repairs for a good time I hope.

    Spraying 2K is a hazardous pastime, get the biggest compressor you can run from home. Again, I have an airflow mask at your disposal, it draws a fair wack of air and should ideally be run through a filter. Running your gun and the mask is a big ask from a home compressor. Painting single panels at a time works to get you to primer stage. I see gumtree now have a few options in Brisbane for booth hire and not too expensive if you are organised - these should have plenty of air at your disposal. Likewise with a gun for final coats, I have a SATA 3000 runs at 2bar ready for finish coats, when you're ready sing out

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  16. #41
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default The Der Franzose saga continues...

    Remember the sea freight excuse that I got why my first order still has not arrived after two months? Well, the latest is that it is now lost... and after another rant, they have now decided to not even answer my emails .

    As I believed their first, "sea freight" excuse, I placed a second order on the 19th, at the same time I placed one with Citroworld in Holland: Guess what?! The Dutch order arrived today! Very impressive! Thank you Ronald.

    The Germans are still in the trenches, not answering and haven't even dispatched my second order! They are probably that p$&@$ed off with me that they are sitting on it, waiting for me to whinge some more.

    Let the saga continue...

  17. #42
    Fellow Frogger! bleudanube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Sven,
    My MIG is yours for a loan if you would like to experiment, I'm pretty well finished with rust repairs for a good time I hope.

    Spraying 2K is a hazardous pastime, get the biggest compressor you can run from home. Again, I have an airflow mask at your disposal, it draws a fair wack of air and should ideally be run through a filter. Running your gun and the mask is a big ask from a home compressor. Painting single panels at a time works to get you to primer stage. I see gumtree now have a few options in Brisbane for booth hire and not too expensive if you are organised - these should have plenty of air at your disposal. Likewise with a gun for final coats, I have a SATA 3000 runs at 2bar ready for finish coats, when you're ready sing out

    Cheers
    Chris
    DOH! An offer too good to refuse? I might get a colleague's help first wih the welding, watch him what he does, then rip the welder out of his hand and burna few holes into the car...

    Appreciate the offer with the paint gear... Might take you up on it at some stage!

    Sven

  18. #43
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon12

    Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    Balki, bit of home turf advantage : I run a business that has an anodising plant, so my guys had a go at the b-pillar ones first and are doing the c-pillar ones next... Trying to get a softer finish next... We will see.

    Sven
    Sven,
    I have NOS external 'B' and 'C' pillar covers you can use to see how they should look, your photo looked spot on though, a frosty silver.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  19. #44
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ... I'm pretty well finished with rust repairs for a good time I hope....
    And I thought I had a paddock pig lined up for you!

    With the back end repairs, remember the gutters do have a slight sweep in towards the rear. The repro gutters I've seen are not adequately swept and could get you into trouble if you are not careful. For a very rotten rear where most of it is being replaced, tack it up and do a trial fit of the bootlid and rear guards before fully welding it up.

    This is also the ideal time to alter the boot aperture to take a pinchweld seal instead of the big rubber stuck to the bootlid. It needs to be fairly tall and they are easily scrounged from the door or tailgate of a recent car being wrecked.

    I also have a NOS c-pillar cover panel (for an ID - very fine striations) and it's a frosty looking thing as Chris says.

    p.s. I have some spare instrument cluster rings and I assume other do too. Maybe, we should get a few together and have them refinished as a lot. I take it they've been stripped and replated from the bare plastic. What about other parts of the dash where we tend to use the chrome stick ons?
    Last edited by David S; 27th August 2015 at 08:39 PM.

  20. #45
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    And I thought I had a paddock pig lined up for you!
    WOW! You just broke my dream, I was driving around all night in a rust free '69 DS21 BVH, looking over it and saying "score! she's in really good nick. . ." No wonder I had trouble waking this morning

    Cheers
    Chris
    David S likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  21. #46
    Fellow Frogger! Lasya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    A comfy place.
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Hmm, now you've got me worried about Der Franzose, first order came within 2 weeks second then took 4, now a Citroworld order has come in first after being ordered afterwards and it's been a month...
    Gillian and Chris

    74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe).

    Oh, and a Holden and a Suzuki.

    Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

  22. #47
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Hi Sven,

    I've been fiddling with these cars since I was a teenager and still make lots of mistakes... I've redone the c-pillar repair in my head a number of different times as I am 50/50 on the approach I took....but it's done...

    I think the important thing is to have a go - and eat the elephant one bite at a time.... I think what you are doing by sorting the roof are rear chassis is a good place to start. The body can then be done at a later time....

    I think 2k is a good thing, but there is nothing wrong with a good quality zinc based primer and semi gloss top coat particularly on a garaged classic not out in the weather. I've used Wurth semi gloss as a finish and it looks great and comes in a spray pack.

    My vote for colour/trim combination attached... With a white roof it will look sensational.

    Cheers,

    Mark...

    The &quot;Blue Danube&quot;-bleu-danube-bleu.jpg

  23. #48
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Forgot to add...

    If you want both superb service and advice as well as decent parts (many of the repros from others are not decent) both Darrin Brownhill (Citroen Classics) and Andre Pol (Citroen-Andre) have always been fantastic to deal with over the many years I've been buying parts over the internet. Can't say enough good things about these guys - both are Citroenists and can offer good solid advice as well as getting parts to you in a reasonable time.

    Citroworld have always been good to deal with also though their service does not offer any real advice with the parts.

    Cheers,

    Mark...
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 28th August 2015 at 09:54 AM.

  24. #49
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    ... Citroworld have always been good to deal with also though their service does not offer any real advice with the parts. ...
    Geert replies to e-mails promptly, always tries to be helpful in my experience and was happy to correct a couple of problems that arose. Darrin is also most helpful. I've not had a problem with Franzose.
    Last edited by David S; 30th August 2015 at 01:28 PM.

  25. #50
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,615

    Icon12

    Quote Originally Posted by bleudanube View Post
    DOH! An offer too good to refuse? I might get a colleague's help first wih the welding, watch him what he does, then rip the welder out of his hand and burna few holes into the car...

    Appreciate the offer with the paint gear... Might take you up on it at some stage!

    Sven
    MIG Welding Tutorial, Techniques and Practical

    Have fun

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Page 2 of 13 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •