Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial reformation.

mnm

Default DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Watch this space...

Matthew

Advertisement
    Last edited by mnm; 16th June 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    GreenBlood and flipperman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post

Watch this space...

Matthew
    Great start Matthew, you couldn't be in safer hands

Cheers
    Chris
    mnm likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

OK... I decided to start a proper thread for the ongoing improvements to the DecidedlySpecial, first port of call is the tail lights. I will be removing the tow bar permanently, now that the car no longer lives on the street and the fact that I will never use it. Regarding the black light panel, is it supposed to be a gloss black, semigloss or matt finish?

Thanks

Matthew

1000+ Posts

I think satin/semi gloss is the go for black stuff.

mnm

The first day... removed tow bar, bumper bar and light panel.

I notice those little paper do dads are still in place.. how can cardboard survive that long???

Do you like my original rear mud flap?

Anyway, have sanded back the light panel... it's such a thin guage, but no rust to speak of. Just needs some fresh primer and paint. Stay tuned.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

From the very first picture, I thought you might have become a man of the cloth! Tweed or velour?

When you paint and reassemble the rear light panel, remember you have to have a suitable earth path or the lights may not work. If you use too much paint the nuts/bolts and serrated washers will not do their job. If you really like a lot of paint, then add some earth wiring. I expect you will unhappy if you paint it in a matt or satin finish.

The repro versions of the rear mudflaps vary a lot (as does all the mostly short-lived repro rubber!), and some of the kits that are sold are made from rubber that stinks. Good original is a good choice if you can find it. I bought some pre-cut rear flaps from CTA last year and they seem to be made of a good quality material close to the original. When you drill the rivets out, keep the washers as they are an odd size and need to be refitted.
    mnm likes this.

UFO

I agree with David re repro rubber quality. I put new rubber under the leading edge of the front wings after the respray - it's cracked and useless already. Fortunately I still have the originals and will refit them one day when the wings are off.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    From the very first picture, I thought you might have become a man of the cloth! Tweed or velour?

When you paint and reassemble the rear light panel, remember you have to have a suitable earth path or the lights may not work. If you use too much paint the nuts/bolts and serrated washers will not do their job. If you really like a lot of paint, then add some earth wiring. I expect you will unhappy if you paint it in a matt or satin finish.

The repro versions of the rear mudflaps vary a lot (as does all the mostly short-lived repro rubber!), and some of the kits that are sold are made from rubber that stinks. Good original is a good choice if you can find it. I bought some pre-cut rear flaps from CTA last year and they seem to be made of a good quality material close to the original. When you drill the rivets out, keep the washers as they are an odd size and need to be refitted.
    Thanks David. Yes, when I removed the panel, while the wires were still attached I had my niece help me while I labelled each wire but as I had detached the panel from the chassis, no earth.

Matthew

mnm

Poor Mum... the Magna's been relegated to the driveway to make room for my temporary spray booth.

I've got three jobs going today, the light panel's been spray puttied, my new spare wheel rim is being painted to match the other rims and prepping the rear of the car before the light panel goes back on. First time using my new spraying equipment... the second hand compressor I picked up off Ebay seems more than up to the task.

I drilled out the rivets of the old mud flaps... good grief! What are those rivets made from...diamonds?? Anyway, all off ready for the replacements. Saved the washers David..thanks for the tip!

A little rust in the left elephant ear.. nothing major.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 2nd June 2014 at 04:59 PM.

mnm

Light panel primed and ready for top coat..

Here are the Lucas light plates... well overdue for a revamp. Curiously the lamps were secured with those tapered nuts that are used on other panels of the car. Naturally the last person to fiddle with them put them all on backwards!!

Matthew

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The back end of that car looks pretty good. How were the bumper mounting tubes when you removed the bumper ? There no bent metal (rear end hits) or lines of bubles where the moisture get held (the boot lid closing panel can get moisture in it and rot out the lower part of it where you don't see... shows as a line of bubbles above and holes in the closing member if you wrap your fingers around it and try to push them through the bottom of it.

Did you ever decide on a colour

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

mnm

Dismantled the bumper bar today... I knew it would be vile and it didn't disappoint. The main drama was the 4 screws that secure the top bar to the fluted pieces. Screw heads rusty and the exposed threads also rusty. Then I thought: ÿou tool.... you've got a tool!
    Richo introduced me to this little beauty... grips the head of the screw with very little clearance needed. Made the job much easier.

Both of the end pieces are dented at the bottom and split... I have new replacements, just need to polish up the rest of the bar to match their shine.

The mounting brackets were in good shape, attacked them with the wire brush wheel and couple of coats of Killrust enamel.

Now, for reassembly I'm going to need 4 new screws for the top bar...according to the parts book its a countersunk head 5 X 18.

Where can I source them?

Thanks

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 16th June 2014 at 09:26 AM.

Now, for reassembly I'm going to need 4 new screws for the top bar...according to the parts book its a countersunk head 5 X 18.

Where can I source them?

Thanks

Matthew
    Making great progress there Matthew,

I had similar fun dismantling the rear bumper on mine and replaced all the bumper fixtures with stainless sourced from Whitworths Marine. Not strictly correct but I was able to pretty well match everything in stainless including washers.

Cheers
    Chris
    Lasya likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

mnm

I love getting things in the post...

Stainless steel polishing kit arrived today... see what it makes of my bumper bars..

I'll be doing some mechanical work next week... look what my brother Stephen fabricated for me! Thanks Stephen. No Polly, you can't eat it.

Matthew

mnm

OMFG!! Thank you Mr Citroen for making the shiny bits in stainless steel! The kit I bought is for a bench grinder. Had a practice run on the old end piece first... First pass with the hard sisal wheel and the grey fast cut bar.... second pass with the green bar and the stiched sisal wheel...

I then attacked the top piece, same method and then finished with the polishing paste and soft calico wheel. I can't get over the result.. it looks brand new. A very satisfying outcome. Look at the front bumper bar in the pic..hmmph..trash!

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 16th June 2014 at 09:26 AM.

mnm

All done...ready for reassembly...

Matthew

Brilliant
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

You 're pretty lucky the rear end is in such good condition Matthew, the bumper mounts are usually ratshed these days, good to follow your work, bit every day!

mnm

Well that's a bit of all right eh?

Here is a pic of the rubber tubes for the bumper bar mounts. See how they are compressed? So should I fit new ones? That means the bar will sit further out from the rear of the car... not by much of course.

Matthew

Icon7

Well that's a bit of all right eh?

Here is a pic of the rubber tubes for the bumper bar mounts. See how they are compressed? So should I fit new ones? That means the bar will sit further out from the rear of the car... not by much of course.

Matthew
    Looks like a bought one Matthew, stunning!!!

The rubbers don't look too bad, maybe the one on the left has seen better days - if you were to replace one you would obviously replace both. The new ones will compress and look like the one on the left once the bar is tightened.

Cheers
    Chris
    mnm likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

mnm

Ok.. well it's time to come clean. Today was a fun day, reassembly day! As I mentioned to HRH on another thread I've been in a twist over which tail lights to go with for the reformation. My choice may urk the purists but as the title of this thread suggests I'm making some changes, so get used to it.

The Lucas lights are out and the Pallas 68/69 lights are in... the reflectors on these beauties are quite unique and I think suit the design cues of the car better. The ribbing on the lens is very cool. Pics don't do it justice.

I decided on satin black, a better backdrop to the bling of the lenses and the bumper bar.

Here are the bulbs in place, 5W at each end and courtesy of Richo a 15W Norma bulb with the cool finish on the glass. As pointed out on my light bulb thread, the 21W bulb is too long for this lens.

Curiously with the wiring, there were extension pieces in use for the lucas lights and the mauve connector was taped up. I removed the extension and hooked up red, green and mauve and all seems good. No drama with the earth either David.

I also gave the rear guards a blast with the water blaster and applied some fresh underbody deadener.

Bumper bar tubes were pretty good on closer inspection.. still mostly pink undercoat so cleaned them up and gave a fresh coat.

Finally, if you're wondering what happened to my Lucas lights, I decided to restore the plates and fitted the new lenses I bought years ago. You may recall I was going to set up a triple combo with the reversing lights but that would have meant hacking extra holes in the light bar and the original mounting plates. This way anything I've done can be reversed. While not strictly correct for my car, I have a pair of Gelbon reversing lights to fit later.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 6th June 2014 at 07:36 PM.
    GreenBlood and forumnoreason like this.

mnm

Moving right along... Gelbon reversing lights done. I chose these over the Cibies as they have a lower profile. They are quite bright. I would have been happy to leave them off all together but in Sydney traffic it's much safer that people know your reversing! So a bit of a compromise.

So the next thing to do and the main reason for this visit is to practice painting a spare rear fender I have and see if I'm happy with the result, enough to do the whole car myself. I have a pot of my chosen colour made up so it will also give me a chance to see it in the flesh.

Here's the panel after I stripped off the paint with one of those purple discs. Pretty easy really and beats sanding it back or using paint stripper.

Etch primed... spray putty tomorrow...

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 7th June 2014 at 09:23 PM.

1000+ Posts

Jesus you 're going like greased lightening dude! Tres bon!
    mnm likes this.

Hi Matthew,

Great job - keep up the good work...!

Where did you source the new lenses for your lucas lights - I have a set of these on my 69 and although the lenses are good, new ones would be nicer now I've seen yours...

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Matthew,

Great job - keep up the good work...!

Where did you source the new lenses for your lucas lights - I have a set of these on my 69 and although the lenses are good, new ones would be nicer now I've seen yours...

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...
    Hi Mark

here's the link..

Classic Bits items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

Matthew

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Thread Information