• Help
Page 5 of 10 First 123456789 ... Last
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Fellow Frogger

Translator says ...

Advertisement

Hello everyone
    I am trying to replace the internal chrome to IE, the goalkeeper is located over the sausage.

The example door looks to have sealant next to the strip too. Never seen that.

Last picture. The under-strips are on upside down and riveted, not screwed. They need to go on with the slightly turned in side facing inside the car so the over-strip can be pressed over. You definitely have to clip them over at the glass side first, with the slightly turned out side of the under-strip facing that way, then press down on the trim side. Be careful as they will deform easily. Do not use a mallet.

It's a fairly firm snap fit and a complete pain to remove, with damage very likely, so fit them properly, once. Any burrs and kinks on the edges of the under-strip will prevent it seating and you may then be stuck with a half fitted strip. If you do need to remove them, use the thinnest, wide, springy scraper you can find, preferably a bit worn so you do not scratch and tear the metal. Try lifting just the edge of the over-strip to free it, but it will probably not give that way. Start at the back, using a pick to get it started if you have to and then work the scraper forward.
    Last edited by David S; 28th April 2015 at 11:31 AM.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Translator says ...

Hello everyone
    I am trying to replace the internal chrome to IE, the goalkeeper is located over the sausage.
    The example door looks to have sealant next to the strip too. Never seen that.

Last picture. The under-strips are on upside down and riveted, not screwed. They need to go on with the slightly turned in side facing inside the car so the over-strip can be pressed over. You definitely have to clip them over at the glass side first, with the slightly turned out side of the under-strip facing that way, then press down on the trim side. Be careful as they will deform easily. Do not use a mallet.

It's a fairly firm snap fit and a complete pain to remove, with damage very likely, so fit them properly, once. Any burrs and kinks on the edges of the under-strip will prevent it seating and you may then be stuck with a half fitted strip. If you do need to remove them, use the thinnest, wide, springy scraper you can find, preferably a bit worn so you do not scratch and tear the metal. Try lifting just the edge of the over-strip to free it, but it will probably not give that way. Start at the back, using a pick to get it started if you have to and then work the scraper forward.
    I should have pointed out the Italians are as critical as you of the images, yes the sausage has been fitted the wrong way around, they also talk about rivets not pozzi countersink screws etc.

You can however see the relationship of the sausage to the fuzzy window strip.

AF member WTJ426M, Colin, also has a few pics and advice for removal of the goalkeeper and sausage

http://citroendsrestoration.blogspot.com.au/

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Should it be lubed with tomato or BBQ sauce? Threaten it with English rather than French mustard!

The last link is a good one Chris. Colin has used a gasket scraper, which is a one-piece item in his case, but many of them are designed to take a razor blade as the scraper and they tend to snap quite easily. A putty knife or thin paint scraper is possibly better and cheap. It's also very easy to be offside and slip whatever tool is being used under the sausage instead of the edge of the goalkeeper trying to ease him out. Then you expect a penalty for fighting the screws. Who'd have thought a salami could give so much trouble? Should have used a long Frankfurter.
    Last edited by David S; 28th April 2015 at 03:11 PM.

mnm

Thanks for the link Chris.. eccelente! Exactly what I was after... just to see the alignment and how they sit in relation to the fuzzy. Now the screws... I have some posi drive stainless self tappers i picked up from the UK. are the 3/8" too short for the task? Otherwise the 5/8"?

Cheers

Matthew

mnm

Meanwhile, prepping the bonnet for primer after stripping. NB: I started stripping with my purple disc but that was too harsh, so I ended up sanding it all off. A few little dings here and there..I spray puttied the whole thing and sanded it back this morning so its lovely and smooth.... hopefully.

This is where a bus sat on the car when Mum and I were on our road trip around Tasmania. Popped it back out at the time but the scars linger...

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

I can't find any at present, but the screw lengths and gauge are given in the parts book, although not illustrated or properly quantified. You will want the longer ones to go through the trim at the top. Be wary of using stainless into mild steel anywhere it is likely to be wet, so apply something to prevent rust.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Thanks for the link Chris.. eccelente! Exactly what I was after... just to see the alignment and how they sit in relation to the fuzzy. Now the screws... I have some posi drive stainless self tappers i picked up from the UK. are the 3/8" too short for the task? Otherwise the 5/8"?
    Hi Matthew,

Give Greg Feinberg a call - he can supply full sets of all the correct sizes and lengths in stainless at reasonable prices. If you don't have his contact details send me a pm..

Cheers,

Mark...

Hi Matthew,

Are these the pictures your after - just yell if you need more...

Sorry again for the tardiness.

Cheers,

Mark..

DecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190228-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190246-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190323-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190352-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190628-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190722-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190258-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190307-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190330-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190344-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190617-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190619-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190640-small-.jpgDecidedlySpecial reformation.-img_20150428_190702-small-.jpg
    GreenBlood likes this.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Matthew,

Are these the pictures your after - just yell if you need more...

Sorry again for the tardiness.

Cheers,

Mark..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190228 (Small).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	69280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190246 (Small).jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	69281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190323 (Small).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	69282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190352 (Small).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	69283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190628 (Small).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	69284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190722 (Small).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	69285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190258 (Small).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	69286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190307 (Small).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	69287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190330 (Small).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	69288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190344 (Small).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	69289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190617 (Small).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	69290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190619 (Small).jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	69291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190640 (Small).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	69292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150428_190702 (Small).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	69293

Hi Mark

totally awesome thank you. I don't have Greg's number I'll PM you.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

The presentation of the tape measure leaves a bit to be desired! Tsk! Tsk!

Mark, did you use the repro outer rubber strips or the generic cut to length (ex-UK) alternative (also good for SAAB C900)? The reason I mention it is that the original has an extra rubber rib to keep the glass away from the mounting clips, whereas the rather less costly alternative doesn't and the glass may scrape on the clips. I found I needed to glue felt strips between the clips to prevent this. Also, painted those pretty plated clips black to make them less visible!
    Last edited by David S; 29th April 2015 at 12:13 PM.

Sorry David.... my gold plated, standards australia compliant all metric tape micrometer was in the wash....LOL... (Tongue firmly in cheek)...

The outer strips are repro and the inner fuzzy strips are NOS, so I guess it has the extra rib...?

I've ordered the repro inner strips for the 71 (the pics are of the 69) so thanks for the heads up..! I'll be on the look out for it...

Annoyingly the outer strips bow out a little so the ends don't sit quite snug. I realised in taking the pics still have some second hand rubber boot bolt covers that I had to use to get the car to show last year. I've got replacements now - another job to add to the list..!

Cheers,

Mark...

Fellow Frogger

Apologies, I'd meant the outer weatherstrips not the inner furry 'furry' strips. The alternate outer weatherstrips have a furry covering too, which the original weatherstrip didn't. They lack the bottom rib as shown on the right of the (poor) picture, but otherwise fit very well. The left strip is an old factory part and has a cutout in that extra rib at the bottom for the clip. The specific repro weatherstrips would have that extra rib.

It's just something to be aware of when you fit up your doors mnm, as is inserting the glass and dropping it to the bottom before trying to fit the inner furry strip.

DecidedlySpecial reformation.-ds_weatherstrips2a.jpg
    Last edited by David S; 29th April 2015 at 12:41 PM.

mnm

The first of many coats...

Matthew

mnm

Sweet dreams my babies...

AND...what a motherfu@#$%&$*#($($er of a panel... finally up to primer stage.

Matthew

mnm

I had a good day today.. paint went on swimmingly this afternoon. Must have done something right.

Matthew

Icon14

I had a good day today.. paint went on swimmingly this afternoon. Must have done something right.

Matthew
    Wow!!! Matthew that one can go straight to the trophy room

Excellent progress

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

1000+ Posts

Hey Matthew, are you using the same primer on the aluminium as the rest of the body, and what are you using as primer anyway? I thought aluminium needs a different primer?

Steven

mnm

My growing collection....

Have to say it's been a love hate relationship so far. I guess if all the panels were new and straight it would be a breeze, but as I decided to strip back to bare metal I exposed all the previous repairs that were until now unknown. I'm referring to dents mostly, which I've had to refill, sand, prep, prime.. blah blah... Most have been OK when I've done the wet sand in preparation for colour, but the two right hand doors were to me unacceptable after the wet sand. What I thought were smooth, flat and well prepared panels looked like the moons surface in the right light.

So I've redone both doors in an attempt to get it right... the passenger door is getting it's top coat now and looks much better. The driver's door will be primed again! tomorrow. After that just the bonnet to go. I may have to redo the boot though... The clear didn't go down well... possibly too low gun pressure. I seemed to hit my stride with the front guard I posted... and have been replicating the results since.

Those of you paying close attention will notice the front valance hasn't reared its head.... it needs work and I also am fitting a second set of front bumper bars which also need new end pieces with the captive nut in it... so that's for another day.

Matthew

mnm

Hi Steven

it's 1K etch primer..Concept Paints. Can be used on steel and aluminium.

https://www.vgautopaints.com.au/shop...imer-1l-detail

Matthew

1000+ Posts

good cheers, paint guys up here recommended a separate primer for aluminium.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Apologies, I'd meant the outer weatherstrips not the inner furry 'furry' strips. The alternate outer weatherstrips have a furry covering too, which the original weatherstrip didn't. They lack the bottom rib as shown on the right of the (poor) picture, but otherwise fit very well. The left strip is an old factory part and has a cutout in that extra rib at the bottom for the clip. The specific repro weatherstrips would have that extra rib.

It's just something to be aware of when you fit up your doors mnm, as is inserting the glass and dropping it to the bottom before trying to fit the inner furry strip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS_Weatherstrips2a.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	69315

Does anyone have a set of inner fuzzy strips they would be willing to sell me? I've just realised I have a new set of outer ones but not the inners..thought I did but alas no. Not a biggy. Thanks

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I just got some from Geert at Citroworld and they look really good... I've not fitted a set however (others may have..?) They took less than a week to get here with some other goodies...

Second hand ones would all be reduced to rusty junk by now...

Cheers,

Mark...
    mnm likes this.

mnm

Ok, time to put all this work to the final test. Cut and buffed the boot with compound after a wet sand, then swirl remover with the polisher and hey presto..

Now only 9 panels to go...

Matthew

Icon7

Ok, time to put all this work to the final test. Cut and buffed the boot with compound after a wet sand, then swirl remover with the polisher and hey presto..

Now only 9 panels to go...

Matthew
    Nothing 'hey presto' there Matthew, I see hours of blood, sweat and elbow grease - bloody great effort - you must be thrilled

Cheers
    Chris
    mnm likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

mnm

Well it certainly photographs well.. My only complaint is the bloody wet sand... I always manage to rub back too much on the edges..back to primer. I did it in the class I did..ughhhhhhh!! Apart from that yeah it looks bloody fantastic eh!

Matthew

Page 5 of 10 First 123456789 ... Last

Thread Information