DecidedlySpecial reformation. - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Hi Matthew,

You can see the rubber strip under the glass in the below pic. This was part of the fitting kit used to assemble the glass to the guard.

Advertisement

Spend a heap of time with some thinned tectyl and lanolyn working it between the inner and outer pieces. This ensures it won't rust any further.

I'm a little hesitant to using things like mastic as they can trap water as well as prevent it getting in but it may be a good idea on the top of that panel gap as long as it does not trap any existing rust.

Hope this helps,

Mark...

DecidedlySpecial reformation.-meg_2542-small-.jpg

mnm

Thanks Mark, awesome.

I was wondering if you had any close up pics of the pallas door top trims. I am going to be fitting them to the car but as its a Special I've no screw holes to get the alignment correct. My only guide at the moment is an old door top, the white strip of vinyl, and the stainless holding strips.

The steel strips will give me the spacing I guess, I just want to see how it all goes together up close with the door fuzzy, etc..

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post

I'm a little hesitant to using things like mastic as they can trap water as well as prevent it getting in but it may be a good idea on the top of that panel gap as long as it does not trap any existing rust.

Hope this helps,

Mark...
    Mark,
    I kinda' agree, a caution in using mastic in that area is that it can soften in heat and become sticky. Dirt and dust can then accumulate and hold moister and the rust process is set in place. There are 3 holes (I think) at the bottom of the indicator support panel to allow water to escape, so I would use the existing rubber or find a suitable profile from Clark Rubber.

Yes, heaps of rust proofing of your choosing will greatly improve longevity. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Hi Chris

I removed the window without complication, thanks to your post. I am at a loss as to what these two M5 bolts do. The don't attach to anything??

Matthew

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi Chris

I removed the window without complication, thanks to your post. I am at a loss as to what these two M5 bolts do. The don't attach to anything??

Matthew
    Just stops Matthew, they stop you winding the window out of the channels

They will come up against these tabs on the window channels. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DecidedlySpecial reformation.-window-glass-channels.jpg  
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

mnm

Aaaaa..I see. Thanks Chris. You're wasted here.

Now, in between coats on the door I'm attempting to change the window tint from grey to green. Picked up a roll of green tint from Korea!, UV protection blah blah...

First thing, strip off the old film with a heat gun and clean off the glue with thinners.

Next cut film to rough size, then place on a nearby window, sprayed with soapy water.

The clear film peels off to reveal the tint with the adhesive side exposed..

Give it a spray with soapy water and place it on the door glass... line it up and squeegee out the excess fluid...trim the edges with a blade.

I'll leave it at that for now... see how it sets. What makes it easier is the flat DS glass and also being frameless. The rear window..that's another story. If it's not up to scratch I'll ditch that idea, plan B. Whatever that is...
    Matthew

1000+ Posts

I'm planning on tearing my window tint off! I hate the stuff, it's all part of the original condition thing though, actually very useful in Australia of course.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I'm planning on tearing my window tint off! I hate the stuff, it's all part of the original condition thing though, actually very useful in Australia of course.

I have it mostly for the UV protection... red velour and direct sunlight don't mix. I had red carpet in my 76 VW beetle... the rear window shelf didn't lose any of its colour over 10 yrs thanks to the tint.

Matthew
    Dano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Don't you go all anorak on us Steven, In Europe, factory Vitres teintées was an option on the D Special in 1973 for a mere 524F

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

1000+ Posts

No I just don't like it really. But it is very useful!

mnm

Observation... I can't get over how thin the door steel is. I can manipulate the interior side with my hands... WTF?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the tardy response - I'll try and get some pics and measurement tonight.

Just be aware - there is a spacer under the chrome captive nut thingie on the door handle to space it out. Most people (including me) forget to put this back on the Pallas models.

I would source all the parts (if you have not already) before drilling holes. The mounting strips on my cosseted low mileage 71 were all rusty and two are unusable. They may be hard to find now....?

If your looking for some new inner door handles I just got some from Andre Pol and they are excellent - very good quality compared to others I've seen and well worth it for a nice finish.

Cheers,

Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Mark,
    I kinda' agree, a caution in using mastic in that area is that it can soften in heat and become sticky. Dirt and dust can then accumulate and hold moister and the rust process is set in place. There are 3 holes (I think) at the bottom of the indicator support panel to allow water to escape, so I would use the existing rubber or find a suitable profile from Clark Rubber.

Yes, heaps of rust proofing of your choosing will greatly improve longevity. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

As usual you summed it up well. I'm sort of 50/50 each way on it.... mastic is great for keeping water out, but also good at keeping it in.

The rubber I used was in the NOS fitting kit I used for the glass, so that's what I defaulted to. I've relied on getting a veritable bucket load of tectyl and lanolyn in that area to protect it adequately.

Cheers,

Mark...

Icon5

Just be aware - there is a spacer under the chrome captive nut thingie on the door handle to space it out. Most people (including me) forget to put this back on the Pallas models.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Hi Mark,
    Is that spacer a fibre washer? I think I have retrieved all four on mine?

Looking at this pic of a previous makeover you can see the spacer still attached by filler and paint

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

mnm

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the tardy response - I'll try and get some pics and measurement tonight.

I would source all the parts (if you have not already) before drilling holes. The mounting strips on my cosseted low mileage 71 were all rusty and two are unusable. They may be hard to find now....?

If your looking for some new inner door handles I just got some from Andre Pol and they are excellent - very good quality compared to others I've seen and well worth it for a nice finish.

Cheers,

Mark...

Hi Mark

yes I have all the trim bits.. all in pretty good nic.. the mounting strips need a sand back but aren't rusted. I need to see where the holes are drilled in the top of the door frame. I can use the mounting strip for spacing, but the top of the door is curved so I'm curious
    to see where and how they sit.

Not sure about the spacer.. have to go back and check. I have a new set of internal handles ready to go... with the long chromed trigger. The DecidedlySpecial handles are pitted and have plastic latches.

Thanks

Matthew

Icon3 D Special to Pallas door handles

Mark...
    Hi Matthew,
    This comment by Mark had me thinking, I don't remember removing a spacer when I removed my internal handles, I checked the old handles against the new I have as replacements and sure enough no spacer on the old.

Checking the parts manual, sure enough it shows a spacer item #17

With my new handles the nut part #22 has the spacer incorporated as two lugs. . .

More importantly the part description for item #20 shows two part numbers, one for our D Special and one for Pallas/Prestige. The difference I have determined by comparing my original with the new part is, the new is about 3mm longer.

Thinking about this, it makes sense as with the additional padded bolster and stainless under the the door handle #20 will need to be longer.

Bottom line for you is that now you are installing the padding and stainless under your door handle you need to ensure you have the longer bolt #20. As I'm not fitting the padding, I'll use the old bolt, if you find you need the longer bolt and don't have it I can send you the ones I'll not use.

The spacer #17 would ensure you don't damage the stainless when tightening the nut and bolt, so you would also need these. Not required on the D Special, so you may not have them?

Another learning curve for me and a catch for the unsuspecting, thanks to Mark for bringing this to our attention

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DecidedlySpecial reformation.-1-handle-parts.jpg   DecidedlySpecial reformation.-handle-1.jpg   DecidedlySpecial reformation.-handle-2.jpg   DecidedlySpecial reformation.-handle-3.jpg  
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

mnm

Hi Chris

you are delivering above and beyond expectations...and Mark also of course. Here is what I have... the new handles, looks like i picked the short trigger, the nut and fiber washer off the Special and a new #22..although it appears the incorporated lugs are missing?? That said I'll accept your offer for the longer bolts and the spacers.

I'll PM you.

Many thanks

Matthew

mnm

Steaming along today... night duty was to have a go at cleaning up the light buckets before re-installing them. I was reluctant to paint them if avoidable so I had a go with some Magic Sponges and Jif. Came up much cleaner but still with a matte finish. I'm happy with that.

Here is some replacement foam strip, courtesy of Chris's reference on his thread..thanks Chris. I've got some new rubber seals somewhere.

The rim of the bucket is a bit chipped so I'm reluctant to handle it too much.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 23rd April 2015 at 10:22 PM.

mnm

Just to prove it hasn't all been smooth sailing, here's what I found when I stripped back the driver's door.... a broad thin layer of filler, and panel beating marks underneath. Obviously been in an accident, no idea when but just means I have to spend more time and effort sanding...sanding...sanding...Pulled the passenger front door this arvo... it on the other hand looks nice and straight... once their both done it's time for the bonnet...then the fun begins.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

I wouldn't get too worried about some filler if it's OK and not rusting underneath. It's far better to apply a skim of filler over the whole panel and then rub it back than putting little patches here and there. It will give you a better finish and it helps avoid local high spots.

For the door handles, I'd encountered the different length special bolts too. There's also a difference in the length of the latch arm on the handle too going by Franzose's listings 73 vs 79mm, which is presumably just the longer latch arms used in later cars.
    Citroen-DS-11CV-HY / DS / door locks + handles
    Not sure about those repro items, but the originals had the pin punched in so you have to drill it out if you need to change the latch arm.

It's also worth noting that the sprung locking catch for the latch arm can be fitted to be lockable or non-lockable, which allows the door to be always be opened from inside. If you remove it by removing its screw, you then see the little spring can go in one of two ways and that changes the behaviour from lockable to non-lockable if that makes any sense.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's also worth noting that the sprung locking catch for the latch arm can be fitted to be lockable or non-lockable, which allows the door to be always be opened from inside. If you remove it by removing its screw, you then see the little spring can go in one of two ways and that changes the behaviour from lockable to non-lockable if that makes any sense.
    Hi David

that's interesting as my original front door handles are non-lockable. I could only therefore lock the front doors with the key. I prefer it that way so I never lock the keys in the car. I 'll have to investigate the new ones.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Thanks Mark, awesome.

I was wondering if you had any close up pics of the pallas door top trims. I am going to be fitting them to the car but as its a Special I've no screw holes to get the alignment correct. My only guide at the moment is an old door top, the white strip of vinyl, and the stainless holding strips.

The steel strips will give me the spacing I guess, I just want to see how it all goes together up close with the door fuzzy, etc..

Matthew
    Do you have a full set of these and also the correct screws? The screws were actually a countersunk Posidriv head, which seems a bit daft, but maybe chosen to deform the very thin metals and stop it all moving about.

Just next to the glass, there's really not much of a gap, just enough to get the stainless on up against the furry strip. Measuring some old doors would be best, but I can't help with that at present. You can just trial fit it before drilling (small pilot holes for the self-tappers) and it should be OK as it was obviously not an exact science at the factory judging from the variations between different cars. This is also true of the stainless body sill covers and a set from one car may or may not fit another car properly.

At the glass, the step in the plated steel under-strip hides the cut end of the vinyl and you will see how the stainless over-strip clips around that as your starting point to fitting it to the plated part. Whatever trim you use, you need to ensure it's as thick as the under-strip's step allows or the strips will not sit level. There is fore and aft movement possible, so you want to close the door and make sure it's not going to interfere with the rubber and doesn't look stupidly too far to one end or the other.

For the inverted U-section stainless strip that secures the top of the door card, you want to trial fit the door card where is should be located and then slip the stainless strip over to determine the required position. The D Special door cards use a row of white plastic clips in place of the stainless strip and you need to delete these. The stainless strip is enough to hold it securely. Maybe leave just a little but of slop in your fitting, so it's not too low. The vinyl trim just sits underneath with a bit to spare. There is at least one short screw needed here, in the middle as I recall, maybe also one for the lock. Also consider replacing the clear plastic clip receptacles in the door frames if the springs clips seem loose in them.

You will also want to fill the depression in the upper door with something like underfelt or wadding.
    Last edited by David S; 25th April 2015 at 08:07 PM.

Good advice David.... I was going to mention the screws.

I'm hoping to get some pics of the old doors and measurements up tomorrow...

Sorry Matthew - I will get there eventually....!

Cheers,

Mark...

mnm

Working on the two front doors today... the front left ended up being the straightest on the car... still, needed a few dings filled.

I took this shot because it looks cool

Mark..many thanks...no rush.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
    With regard to the top internal stainless trim, this question has just popped up on an Italian forum - a few pictures that might be helpful.

forum.ideesse.it/smf/index.php?topic=4913.0 - Translator

Without translator
    profili pallas interni

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information