DecidedlySpecial reformation. - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial reformation.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Finally, if you're wondering what happened to my Lucas lights, I decided to restore the plates and fitted the new lenses I bought years ago. You may recall I was going to set up a triple combo with the reversing lights but that would have meant hacking extra holes in the light bar and the original mounting plates. This way anything I've done can be reversed. While not strictly correct for my car, I have a pair of Gelbon reversing lights to fit later.

Advertisement

Matthew
    These seem to fetch a premium OS

Kit de 2 feux arrière complet DS Cabriolet modèle après 1967 - Citroën DS / ID / DS Cabriolet - Passion DS

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DecidedlySpecial reformation.-ds-rear-lights.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Colour is such a personal thing, you are in a much better position to judge but. . .

Rouge Hermes looks quite pinky on my screen, to be perfectly honest I prefer the Boredaux. A real comparison would be to have a freshly painted Boredaux panel with the Rouge Hermes. There is much more depth in Boredaux, look at the reflections in the lower bootlid and on your front guard and door, freshly painted and buffed very classy.

Cheers
    Chris
    Like this?

Matthew

Icon6

Like this?

Matthew
    Wow!!
    Is that Boredaux? Looks good enough drink

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

mnm

Greetings all...

a little teaser for you. I have 5 weeks hard earned leave coming up and I'm using it to finally paint the car. I'm in the middle of a spray painting course at a local supply store and tonight we got to mix up the colour of our choice to spray on the panel we prepped last week... This is the first time I've seen Rouge Cornaline in the flesh... very nice.

Stay tuned..

Matthew

mnm

Triviaaaa triviaaaa...

Citroën DS in Scandinavia

Matthew

mnm

Last day of my painting course... cut and buff day.

Here's the completed panel in AC419... a luscious colour in the flesh.

Not a bad gloss eh??

This is an acrylic clear over base system, which I will be using on the car. I'm confident now I can get a presentable result.

Matthew

Icon14

Last day of my painting course... cut and buff day.

Not a bad gloss eh??

This is an acrylic clear over base system, which I will be using on the car. I'm confident now I can get a presentable result.

Matthew
    Holy snapping reflections Matthew

You can come up and paint mine when your done

Cheers
    Chris
    mnm likes this.
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

Cheers
    Chris

And Gills.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe).

Oh, and a Holden and a Suzuki.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Good job, Matthew. You're a man of many talents.
    mnm likes this.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

mnm

Cheers
    Chris
    Actually Chris, after 23 years looking after people on jets a job painting inanimate objects in an isolation booth is quite appealing. What I love about these Citoren colours is the way they change in different lighting... it looks quite bright in the photo, but at dusk it took on a lovely deep hue. So glad I did the course... they fine tuned a few things I was doing. The main thing was less is more... 3 coats primer, 3 coats colour, that's it. The wet cut before buffing and polishing is critical to a good gloss... must be totally flat as any overspray that isn't sanded back will not buff out later.

This clear over base system is an Australian product. You can spray acrylic clear over the acrylic base colour or 2K clear. A few of the guys in the class chose the 2k, and they did a cut and buff also... just to compare. You couldn't pick the difference in the end but obviously the 2k is more durable.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    Good job, Matthew. You're a passionate man of many talents.
    Fixed it for you.
    Rock on.

mnm

OK... here we goooooooooooooooooooooo!

Matthew

mnm

Off to a good start. These are the plastic discs I use to remove the paint back to bare metal. That's what was left after I did the fender and the boot.

The filler am using can be applied on bare metal or primer, so I do that first, sand back with 80, 150,240 grit and then apply 3 coats etch primer. Here's the fender with its black guide coat and the boot not far behind. I'm going to leave them in primer for a few days to give it a chance to go off longer (temp is about 18 to 21 here).

Then will be a 600 wet sand and 3 coats base coat.

Matthew
    GreenBlood and Dano like this.

Things are certainly underway there Matthew. Good to see.

Are you doing the inside of your panels as well? Do you have a heat source for colder temps when spraying?

Sorry for being so nosey.

Citroën Regards
    Brian
    1970 D Super. (Little Miss Petite).

To quote Maxwell Smart........"And Loving It!"

mnm

Hey Brian

don't be silly...no I'm only doing the outside of the panels... mostly. This is a makeover rather than a full nuts and bolts restoration. Not touching the roof, underside of the bonnet will be left as is, ie primer, inside of the doors will be sanded back only and primed and coloured.. but I am doing the inside of the boot obviously.

I've got some heat lamps if necessary... otherwise it's just a longer wait between coats. Off to tackle the second rear fender today. No rest for the wicked.

Matthew

mnm

It's Thursday... that means front fender day...f(**^Y&&^&%&^^*)(*_)()_(*(*^$%#$@$$^%ck!

Matthew

Icon12

It's Thursday... that means front fender day...f(**^Y&&^&%&^^*)(*_)()_(*(*^$%#$@$$^%ck!

Matthew
    It's actually Wednesday, but the solvents can mess with time and space - looking good Matthew

Cheers
    Chris
    Dano and Boyracer like this.
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

mnm

It's actually Wednesday, but the solvents can mess with time and space - looking good Matthew

Cheers
    Chris
    Hahahahaahaha!!! I think you're right. That's cool. I'm ahead of schedule then.

Matthew
    Boyracer likes this.

mnm

Well today is Thursday..and it's the other f$#@%$&^Q#%&@king fender day. The other fender was a doner so was already stripped. This one is the right fender so here it is ready for paint stripping.

Here's the light bucket and all the bits. The plastic chrome surround disintegrated..just as well I have some stainless replacements. That black strip of rubber was glued on top of the join of the metal reinforcing piece for the indicator. Is that factory?

Matthew

Icon3

Well today is Thursday..and it's the other f$#@%$&^Q#%&@king fender day. The other fender was a doner so was already stripped. This one is the right fender so here it is ready for paint stripping.

Here's the light bucket and all the bits. The plastic chrome surround disintegrated..just as well I have some stainless replacements. That black strip of rubber was glued on top of the join of the metal reinforcing piece for the indicator. Is that factory?

Matthew
    It is Matthew and very rare, David S and ds21bvh (Mark), have discussed this rubber on the forum previously. Your car must be in very original condition, you are probably the first in 40 years to have stripped that guard

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

mnm

Thanks Chris... I was thinking maybe some mastic strip would be better along that join when I reassemble. Then again, only a couple of pin holes of rust on the inner piece to speak of, so maybe it worked all these years to keep out the water.

Matthew

Thanks Chris... I was thinking maybe some mastic strip would be better along that join when I reassemble. Then again, only a couple of pin holes of rust on the inner piece to speak of, so maybe it worked all these years to keep out the water.

Matthew
    Mastic would certainly do the job nicely, the rubber would have been effective in keeping out dirt/dust which when combined with water/condensation would have been a haven for rust - you are very fortunate that it was in place.

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

1000+ Posts

Worth spraying some lanolin into the nooks and crannies?
    That must be a Scottish expression surely.

mnm

OK two fenders down... what next? Doors..ugh!

Here's the rear left door being partially disassembled. The two plastic sheets had been taped to the door with red insulating tape, fallen off and squashed into the bottom of the door by the window.

Here's the bottom of the doors after I removed the rubber sealing strip... phew! A small victory.

Inside bottom of door...

I can recommend these plastic tools for removing the door panels and window sealing trim.

Here's the inside of the door handle ... one bolt, turn 90 degrees, done.

Now I managed to get the inside door handle off, but how do you remove the locking nut? There's a slit disc at the bottom of the screw... does that have to come off?

Matthew

Icon3

Now I managed to get the inside door handle off, but how do you remove the locking nut? There's a slit disc at the bottom of the screw... does that have to come off?

Matthew
    Yup, get a fine broad blade screwdriver or such into the split and twist, it should then wind off the thread. . .

Nice door, very nice

Cheers
    Chris
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last

Thread Information