Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: DecidedlySpecial reformation.

1000+ Posts

Dabbling with the Prince of Darkness...

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Moving right along... Gelbon reversing lights done. I chose these over the Cibies as they have a lower profile. They are quite bright. I would have been happy to leave them off all together but in Sydney traffic it's much safer that people know your reversing! So a bit of a compromise.

So the next thing to do and the main reason for this visit is to practice painting a spare rear fender I have and see if I'm happy with the result, enough to do the whole car myself. I have a pot of my chosen colour made up so it will also give me a chance to see it in the flesh.

Here's the panel after I stripped off the paint with one of those purple discs. Pretty easy really and beats sanding it back or using paint stripper.

Etch primed... spray putty tomorrow...

Matthew
    That's gonna be niiiiice.......
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hi Matthew,

Looking good bro. I have been meaning to get one of those polishing kits for years, you have inspired me. I also like the idea of the 'rolling restoration', makes sense as you still get to use the car in between jobs. Keep up the good work and looking forward to see how you go with the paint.

cheers Tony

mnm

OK... I'll keep you in suspense no longer. Today was final prep and paint day. I'm working with acrylic paint btw, mostly so I can breath and also because it's easy to correct mistakes. It will need more upkeep over 2K I realise but for the convenience of doing it at home etc etc...

So the process has been back to bare metal, 3 coats etch primer, 3 coats pink spray putty..love this stuff, no mixing just straight into the pot and spray. Then sand that back with 250 dry, 3 more coats primer, wet sand with 600 and spray colour.

This is the result..

Happy with the colour, it's Gris Dánjou AC 086. Yeah I know I'm fickle, but I decided red on red was too much. This is fresh off the gun so later will cut and buff to get the high gloss finish. Pretty happy with the result but as we know it's 99 percent preperation and 1 percent final coat. Doing the whole car will be a huge job...This is the ultimate look I'm aiming for..

Now, in between coats I did a job on the boot seal I've been meaning to do for ages. I've removed the foam pallas type seal and replaced it with the french style rubber strips. I had to remove the moldings first, which was made easier with this little tool..

Bye bye.... anyone need a relatively new foam seal???

Bit of rust on the edges but otherwise solid all round. So gave it a scrub up , fresh coat of paint and crimped in the rubber strips.

This has resulted in two things.. the boot lid has a nice clunck now when I close it and it also sits lower when closed, improving the lines of the car. It always bugged me that the lid sat up too high above the rear guards with the foam seal.

Probably sounds mad but I like it.. hee hee.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 20th July 2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Boyracer and Tex like this.

Many thanks for the link Matthew...

mnm

So the madness began today... on the to do list are replace steering rack boots, water pump, hydraulic feed line, engine cross member support rubbers and radiator.

I started with the steering rack as it was the job I was most dreading. Easy enough to remove, I've made appropriate markings for reassembly. Certainly could do with a fresh coat of paint while it's out. Here it is in all it's filthy glory.

You can see here the tie wire on the inner ends of the boots... I've had to stretch both boots twice and tie them up as they kept tearing at the ends, hence the necessity for this task.

Following Chris's suggestion and not having electric conduit to hand I used a ring spanner to form a ramp with the stud at it's extreme. I also used one of the cover plates that fit under the yoke to form a ramp were the hydraulic inlet studs are at the other end. Here is a pic of them wrapped in tape.

I then covered everything in LHM for lubricant and with dry hands used a pull/rotate action to slide the sleeve up and over. Unfortunately no pics of this as I wasn't game to stop, but I was surprised it bloody worked!

Here is the result and the bloody aftermath to prove it.

It wasn't all smooth sailing however. I got one of my original Citroen sleeves on first... the hardest part, but with the second sleeve it bloody split..dam! So I had to use one of the repo sleeves. As suggested on Chris's thread, the tape needs to be wrapped so there's no edges for the sleeve to get caught on. It wasn't easy but there ya go...it can be done.

Meanwhile, I removed the underpan and brake ducts for a clean... next time something drops into the abyss, it won't be retrieved covered in goop.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 10th June 2014 at 11:53 PM.
    GreenBlood likes this.

mnm

Ok... here's the rack all ligarexed and fresh coat of Brunswick Green...installation tomorrow.

Also today I replaced the HP line with a stainless steel job. Had to do a little bending to get it lined up properly, Also the rubber collars in the clamps were toast so waste not want not, I had to fashion some from the torn NOS steering sleeve. Being an unknown quantity, like the water pump, I wanted to replace them and start fresh.

Removal of the water pump required the removal of 2 long studs so I could then turn it anti clockwise and lift it clear of the pulley.

Hmmmm, that pulley's all shiny..I hate it when I make a clean bit..

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 10th June 2014 at 11:54 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Well done Mathew. Pity about that NOS boot. At least you know you can replace the repro boot with ease!
    Were you replacing a factory water pump? If so, keep the old one as it's useful.
    I can't remember, but I think that bottom stud ends in the coolant rather than a blind hole. I have a memory of having coolant weep out via the studs that go into the coolant and having to remove them and reseal them. Watch for leakage.

1000+ Posts

Keep posting photos of your engine bay Matthew. I need to find out where everything goes on my DSpecial!
    mnm likes this.

mnm

Thanks David... yeah that boot, I was bloody gropable! Oh well, as you say the good one's on the inside at least. Not sure it it's a factory water pump.. the pulley is silver if that means anything...it's probably fine now that I look at it, impellers are good and no movement in the bearing so I'll hold on to it for a back up I guess.

Yes, the stud at 6 o'clock goes into the pump cavity so I put some sealant around the thread. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tips, please keep it up I really appreciate the advice.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Well done Mathew. Pity about that NOS boot. At least you know you can replace the repro boot with ease!
    Were you replacing a factory water pump? If so, keep the old one as it's useful.
    I can't remember, but I think that bottom stud ends in the coolant rather than a blind hole. I have a memory of having coolant weep out via the studs that go into the coolant and having to remove them and reseal them. Watch for leakage.

Fellow Frogger

The factory pumps have a part number like DX.... cast on them, the finish on the casting is generally quite smooth and the pulley is riveted together. The aftermarket pumps are fine, but do look different to the original item and only come as a 2-row pulley pump. They don't make a three row pulley pump, which is what people need for A/C, so they (e.g. Darrin) buy and modify a factory pump to fit A/C to a car.

mnm

Today was mostly about putting it all back together. First task was replacing the bushing in the gear shift bracket. It just rotates and slips out, you can see the amount of wear as compared to the new one. There's still a bit of give but better than it was. Big thank you to Richo for the part.

Next, the steering rack. Reattached the yoke and control arms, lined up my markings then checked alignment with the tool my brother made for me.

New o rings..

NB, Stephen made this based on the schematics posted on another thread a while back. The alignment is done without the collar on the spindle... it doesn't fit otherwise.

Plenty of clearance above the steering rack hydraulic lines..

My car had the radiator fan with the hole in the middle. I replaced it with the older style, just because it's cool.

Finally, fitted the new radiator. This is a 3 core unit as opposed to my old 2 core radiator.

So it's all gone back together without much hassle. No bits lying around without a home. When I was dismantling I screwed all the fixings back into their rightful place, that way they didn't get misplaced, I didn't have to remember what went with what and they were there when I needed them. Refill the coolant tomorrow, I have to get some demineralised water... what's the ratio of coolant to water for the DS?

Cheers

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

Have someone push the clutch pedal to it's full extent and make sure the lever doesn't touch the pipes on the rack.
    The plastic ring for the gear selector wears, but so do the aluminium housing and even the shaft. It really wants a gaiter of some sort as it will attract grit if you grease it or wear without any lube. A weak design point.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Have someone push the clutch pedal to it's full extent and make sure the lever doesn't touch the pipes on the rack.
    The plastic ring for the gear selector wears, but so do the aluminium housing and even the shaft. It really wants a gaiter of some sort as it will attract grit if you grease it or wear without any lube. A weak design point.
    Excellent... shall do. And you answered my next qtn about greasing the bushing.

Thanks
    Matthew

1000+ Posts

Bit of silicon spray could be the go?

mnm

Ok, everything's back together, systems fully operational. No leaks, steering works, temp gauge reading midway. I'll keep monitoring over the next couple of days though. Spare wheel shod.. finally can start rotating the tyres.. yay!

One small glitch, I put the linkage for the steering headlights on the wrong way and it caught on the steering arm and broke the white plastic collar... woops. Fortunately my hours trawling the net for spares have paid off as I had a spare...

So the hook goes on facing down...

Matthew

UFO

One small glitch, I put the linkage for the steering headlights on the wrong way and it caught on the steering arm and broke the white plastic collar... woops. Fortunately my hours trawling the net for spares have paid off as I had a spare...

So the hook goes on facing down...

Matthew
    Don't worry - we've all done that - at least once!

Looks great Mathew, makes me wish I had used satin black on the rear number plate panel.
    The spray job on the rear wing looks first class. Looking forward to future up dates. keep up the excellent progress.

mb
    mnm likes this.

mnm

Not much to show for today's efforts... tidying up mostly. I had a little green LHM sticker for the cross bar that sits under the spare tyre but I didn't want to stick it on this filthy thing...

So I attacked it with my polishing gear and ahhhhh... well who says you can't have bling in the engine bay?

So all that for this little guy... a bit over the top I admit, still, looking forward to doing the rest of the bright work on the car when the time comes.

Matthew

1000+ Posts

Bit of clear coat will keep the spare tyre support shiny Matthew, I painted mine AC 140 realized it wasn 't painted in the first place and got it off after some serious effort, I had painted it too well... They corrode though I noticed so I buffed mine up and gave it a blast of KBS clear. You can only use that paint in batches of jobs, it goes off rapidly and the tins are a complete bastard to open and almost impossible to reseal, wheel clearcoat would do it. Great to see your progress. I am having parts sourcing problems with mine, manual indicates I should replace conrod screws and can't find any. I was raging it till this latest speed hump.

mnm

Cut and buff day! I think this part of the whole process is the most interesting... some wet 1200 grit on the panel and it looks like utter crap..

A dab of cutting paste and a lambs wool pad... go go go..

And eventually you end up with this..

Not a bad result in the end. It certainly wouldn't win anything at the show but it's a start. Alas my stint at Mum's must come to an end. Back to work next week, someone's gotta pay for all this.. stay tuned, same DS time same DS channel...

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 14th June 2014 at 06:53 PM.
    forumnoreason likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Don't worry - we've all done that - at least once!
    **Pinched, snooty face with nose well into the air**

I have never done that. Not withstanding the fact we didn't get turning headlights, still.....

No worries, Matthew. You're doing a fair sized recommissioning. Niggly, bothersome crap like that is going to happen.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

mnm

Greetings all,

I've said it before, I'm fickle! I had a chance to see DStragic's Safari in the flesh a while back, painted in Rouge Hermes, a 1990s Citroen colour. I picked up a chip repair sample of the colour from Ebay and had it matched. I've spent the last few days sanding back the Gris D'anjou fender from my previous visit and hitting it with a few coats of said rouge... whadayathink? It's very rich, this is fresh off the gun...cut and buff would come later to bring out the gloss.

It certainly makes the Boredaux look sad and tired..

I fluked it on this pass... lovely shine.

Sadly not much time for anything else... heading home tomorrow.

Matthew

Icon6

Greetings all,

I've said it before, I'm fickle!
    I've spent the last few days sanding back the Gris D'anjou fender from my previous visit and hitting it with a few coats of said rouge... whadayathink? It's very rich, this is fresh off the gun...cut and buff would come later to bring out the gloss.

Matthew
    Colour is such a personal thing, you are in a much better position to judge but. . .

Rouge Hermes looks quite pinky on my screen, to be perfectly honest I prefer the Boredaux. A real comparison would be to have a freshly painted Boredaux panel with the Rouge Hermes. There is much more depth in Boredaux, look at the reflections in the lower bootlid and on your front guard and door, freshly painted and buffed very classy.

Having said that I was very taken with Gris D'anjou

Hey that finish is no fluke, you've got the painting sussed, for gloss off the gun using acrylic lacquer, add thinners to your final coats - but that panel would buff very nicely after a week or so.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Colour is such a personal thing, you are in a much better position to judge but. . .

Rouge Hermes looks quite pinky on my screen, to be perfectly honest I prefer the Boredaux. A real comparison would be to have a freshly painted Boredaux panel with the Rouge Hermes. There is much more depth in Boredaux, look at the reflections in the lower bootlid and on your front guard and door, freshly painted and buffed very classy.

Having said that I was very taken with Gris D'anjou

Hey that finish is no fluke, you've got the painting sussed, for gloss off the gun using acrylic lacquer, add thinners to your final coats - but that panel would buff very nicely after a week or so.

Cheers
    Chris
    Yes it does look a bit pink on the screen... looks better in the flesh. I've painted a spare fuel filler flap to take back to Sydney and compare with Steve's Safari. His looks less pink from memory. I may have to match his fuel flap instead.

It's all good practice though regardless of the outcome. Yes, the gloss off the gun was very exciting to see... but it was mixed with that dull over spray look on other parts of the panel. I'll try more thinners next time as you suggest, this mix was 1:1.5. I havbe read somewhere you can keep thinning out as you add more coats??

Cheers

Matthew

PS: NEWSFLASH! The other half, BTW, has given me carte blanche to use my next bout of annual leave to spray the car. It's gonna happen!
    Last edited by mnm; 12th October 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information