2CV Chassis Replacement - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 9 First 12345678 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2CV Chassis Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    What about onion bags? They may be more neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by UFO on Page number 2
    You Qlders really do some kinky stuff!

Advertisement

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib

Onion bags, as in the plasticky woven bags what onions does come in at the F&V shop. You may have to ask the shop for said bags as the onions usually come in these bags in about 10kg lots.

Even orange bags might do.

After today nearly all panels are etched & looks like we started bogging the worst of the bog jobs first, that being the front drivers door. I remembered quite a bit of bog had to be sanded out of both front doors but hardly any in the rear doors (or anywhere else).

A few little oil can effects on 2 parts of the front door were fixed using a bit of heat on the problem area, push in, & a wet rag over it to cool quickly. It was also neccessary to reglue the panel to the frame behind it two spots. We used a 2 part 5 minute epoxy which worked well.

Chris (new aka bogmaster No. 2) is quite handy with a spatula & a bit of bog. We initially started with a Motorgard brand of bog however it was a fibre glassy/ filler blend & set so hard even our new speed file couldn't really shift it.
    Another trip to Super Cheap Auto, 2.5 kg's of bog later & we were in business. It's nice to know the fibre blend is under the normal bog as it has really strenghtened the door with no metal popping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis120.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis121.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis122.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis123.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis124.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis125.jpg  

More pics from 25/02/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis127.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis128.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Gerry,

looks like your having fun there You might actually be able to get those 2cv panels straight with that speed file. I find it near impossible with a mechanical speed file. You see you would sit the file on the door to sand any filler .... And the door skin would buckle/bend very slightly under the file .... How can you level filler when the metal doesn't sit level

Have you made your first big run yet .... Gee's painting is fun

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi Shane,

It looks as though we have corrected any panel buckle by using the heat trick first. But you are right I think, with the speed file being almost half the length of the front door, it has to make things easier.

Chris is enjoying the body work more than me. It's a shame how quickly the time gets away, so I suppose, we are having fun.
    It'd be great if we had all the gear & could just spend 3 straight days on it

The only top coating we will do is the grey for the bumpers & a few other grey accessories in the car.
    Gotta go the 2 pack after all this work!

We decided to have another go at panels today, although after 25mm of rain at 11am it didn't look like it was going to happen. The rest of the day was sunny so Chris & I spent 2.5 hours this afternoon on dolly the duck.

No painting today (just sanding) but I think we layered the 4th & 5th coat of bog to the driver's door (which should nearly do it), & one coat on all the other doors which appear to be not nearly as bad as the driver's door.

We are going to try & find some time in the evenings this week to do some more work!

Had a clean up under the house & gathered all rusty metals together for their bath. These are the before shots, I'll get some when they come out next week or whenever it is.

The POR 15 arrived the day after I ordered it.
    I will be applying it to most of the black items that are reinvigorated, even though it states on the can it can be painted directly over rust!!!
    I just really want to see how much metal is still there first!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis129.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis130.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis131.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis132.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis133.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis134.jpg  

With all this enthusiasm coming from your offsider, I wanna be there when GreenBlood tells his missus he's gunna "blow a quick coat" over the C5 as soon as he bogs a couple of shopping trolley dings in the doors.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The C5 will have to wait until after the D is done

XM needs some touch ups as well.
    My ute could do with a new duco, as could my dads R4!

Icon12

Chris is enjoying the body work more than me. It's a shame how quickly the time gets away, so I suppose, we are having fun.
    It'd be great if we had all the gear & could just spend 3 straight days on it
    It is frustrating working weekends only (on a fun project), seems no sooner than you start to get somewhere it's time to pack-up

It would be great to have a dedicated Froggy space somewhere where members could come and go, work on their cars (mechanical and body work) leave everthing set-up, ready to put a few hours in.

Must say, I am enjoying this project, Gerry is not one to things by halves, the finished job should result in a stand-out 2CV (hopefully for all the right reasons)

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood

It would be great to have a dedicated Froggy space somewhere where members could come and go, work on their cars (mechanical and body work) leave everthing set-up, ready to put a few hours in.

Cheers
    Chris
    If someone has a spare $360k we could buy a brand new workshop with small office near Brisbane Airport that would be very suitable for bogging & using air powered mechanical aids.
    Also a big AF logo could greet commuters going to & from the International terminal.

In all seriousness, I'll get one under a contract tomorrow.

Decided to get the valve springs changed today before it get forgotten about. If you remember in another thread I had broken both inlets on separate occassions, replacing them with valve springs from a GS. A broken one pictured.
    I figured there may have been a bad batch so I have now replaced all 4 for proper 2CV ones. Still needing to adjust the tappet clearences.

Check the 2 exhaust valve springs, there is a rusty look to them.

I also checked all the valves for damage by pushing them into the cylinder & shining a light down the spark plug hole while rotating them. All looked OK appart from some carbon on the face of the exhaust valves.

Did some more back to metal cleaning on the body. The Hammerite is clogging up the flappy disc. Tonight I tried to remove most of it with turps.

Can't get the master cylinder any greener. Anyone got ideas?
    The LHM bottle is clean now as is the lid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis135.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis136.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis137.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis138.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis139.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis140.jpg  

Icon10

If someone has a spare $360k we could buy a brand new workshop with small office near Brisbane Airport that would be very suitable for bogging & using air powered mechanical aids.
    Also a big AF logo could greet commuters going to & from the International terminal.

In all seriousness, I'll get one under a contract tomorrow.
    ??? Did you forget the smilie - I'm booking my D in straight away

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

More pics from 27/02/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis141.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis142.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis143.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis144.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis145.jpg  

Ordering a new galvanised chassis next week. two
    Hey GibGib,

Where'd you order your galvanised chassis from?

I might be in the market myself either in the next few weeks or in about 12 months after having a few unfortunate 'knocks' underneath by a limestone boulder whilst travelling the Trans-Access Road between Kalgoorlie and Forrest last week.

A lesson learned that the original chassis isn't very strong when it comes to things like that. Damn shame coz there was no rust in it

Good thing is...it's all repairable and parts available

Paul
    1986 2CV Spécial - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TinSnail1
    Hey GibGib,

Where'd you order your galvanised chassis from?

I might be in the market myself either in the next few weeks or in about 12 months after having a few unfortunate 'knocks' underneath by a limestone boulder whilst travelling the Trans-Access Road between Kalgoorlie and Forrest last week.

A lesson learned that the original chassis isn't very strong when it comes to things like that. Damn shame coz there was no rust in it

Good thing is...it's all repairable and parts available

Paul
    That's bad luck

Get all your 2CV parts from Peter F in Perth, he is great!
    Chassis's (Chass-eye) are here

Picked up my new galvanised chassis today at Bunnings.
    Had heaps on the shelf & on special too.

Didn't get a lot done on the duck & tomorrow will be a similar story.

Cleaned more firewall back to bare metal for a few hours this morning though.

Did some gardening due to the supposed deluge we will be getting on Thursday.

Today mostly involved chasing my tail at an auction, & tomorrow, Sunshine Coast to do some house repairs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis146.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis147.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis148.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis149.jpg  

Icon12

Picked up my new galvanised chassis today at Bunnings.
    Had heaps on the shelf & on special too.
    Should've waited, tomorrow Super Cheap have got a 50% off on all 2CV Chassis Sale

So I guess you won't be coming over to FOP for a nice evening of sanding then?? I'm thinking of sticking around for a while, make a bit of bog-dust. We've got the forklift on the road again, so I'll work in the area behind the roller door with a couple of fans pushing the dust.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

When, tomorrow night?

That is cool with me, I'll be there

My time of duck completion may be de-railed tomorrow if I find out I need to go to Melbourne next week until the 22nd

Icon12

My time of duck completion may be de-railed tomorrow if I find out I need to go to Melbourne next week until the 22nd
    Awwwhh shoot, I'll have it all painted before you get back

I'll give you a buzz when I've got all the 'work' work out of the way

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tonight, Chris & I sanded the bog applied last weekend to a reference level & hopefully added our last bog coat on the doors before packing up.

Another night with the same steps should see us etch priming first up on the weekend & hopefully to the next step with the doors, or, starting to bog the 4 guards & boot lid.

The bonnet is on hold due to the welding required & unknown heat distortion that may have an effect on our hard work.

The only other panels remaining so far pretty much untouched are the 2 triangle panels over the front guards, & the car body (waiting for welding).

Front & rear bumpers will require a top coat of grey & there are a few odds & sods that are grey as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis150.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis151.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis152.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis153.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis154.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis155.jpg  

Bought 1 metre of material (maroon to black acid washy look) for the roof side carpets at Spotlight between doing other stuff today.

Also picked up some spot putty, sanding discs & a new obital pad velcro thingy (that doesn't fit ).

Anything else today was non-duck.

Chris & I spent the afternoon (11am - 6pm) removing bog that didn't set properley from Wednesday & filling the front & one rear door hopefully for their last sand before more etch primer when the weather improves.

In between time we were trying to download & backup the database on aussiefrogs

No pictures, it's pretty much the same as Wednesday night's lot, sanding & filler

Fairly wet old day here in the sub tropics but we had a go at body repair work anyhooo.
    Chris & I finished off a door!.....well not completely.
    The driver's door (worst one) is ready for the next stage (etch primer again).
    The other front door is requiring some more bogging product.

The wet weather played havoc with the air compressor & air sander with water in the line. Eventually we had to stop.

I continued removing paint from the rest of the body this afternoon.

Can anyone tell me whether it's worth having the whole body galvanised?
    Check this site: http://www.duckservice.nl/koetseng.html
    I realise all the paint must come off before it's dipped.

I was quoted $95 to hot dip galvanise a chassis so I figure it would cost about $150 for the whole body which could then be painted as per usual processes.

Galvanising it attractive because it would stiffen the oil canny panels some what.

Not much done to the 2CV today however I picked up some sheet metal for the firewall repairs & a wire brush thingy for the angle grinder.
    After reading Alan Moore's response to my Galvanising body thread, I may have the body sandblasted after the welding is complete.

Peter Fossellius is in Goondiwindi tonight & will be here in Brissy tomorrow afternoon
    Then, much welding on the body & I'll post lots of pictures as well.

Page 4 of 9 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread Information