2CV Chassis Replacement - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 9 First 1234567 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2CV Chassis Replacement

Today's instalment doesn't involve sanding (I needed to stay relatively clean) but it did manage to get some tedious tasks out of the way.

The rear side windows are out without breakage, as is the fixed windows in the rear doors. All doors now are ready for sanding. All fixtures have been removed.
    There is some rust forming around the right rear side window (cannot be seen with window in) which would have caused problems later. It's only surface rust & easy fixed at this stage & with the ease of access.

The roof carpet lining is out & wiring to the rear lights/ fuel sender out too.

Hopefully there will be etch primer on all the panels after this weekend. Without sanding today I still think I can get all the panels back to metal by friday night.

The body will wait until after the welding is complete.

Saturday (if spray painting is possible) I will create a plastic cubby house as a spray booth, of course I will post pictures

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis61.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis62.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis63.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis64.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis65.jpg  

All Dolly decals & stripes will be painted on so I can wash/ polish without catching & feathering them.

Some measurements before they are paintstripped/ sanded away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis66.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis67.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gibgib
    Today's instalment doesn't involve sanding (I needed to stay relatively clean) but it did manage to get some tedious tasks out of the way.

The rear side windows are out without breakage, as is the fixed windows in the rear doors. All doors now are ready for sanding. All fixtures have been removed.
    There is some rust forming around the right rear side window (cannot be seen with window in) which would have caused problems later. It's only surface rust & easy fixed at this stage & with the ease of access.

The roof carpet lining is out & wiring to the rear lights/ fuel sender out too.

Hopefully there will be etch primer on all the panels after this weekend. Without sanding today I still think I can get all the panels back to metal by friday night.

The body will wait until after the welding is complete.

Saturday (if spray painting is possible) I will create a plastic cubby house as a spray booth, of course I will post pictures
    Hi Gib Gib,

What a hero....you don't do things by halves!.

How do you get on with WorkCover or its equivalent in QLD? Down here in the ACT they have massive fines ($5000) for home spraying of thinner based paints. Does the cubby house cover you for that up there? I suspect that we could get away with that here...but the right face mask would be essential. Be careful - I made my self quite ill a few years ago from inhaling acrylic and thinners - using a crappy mask. (took some months for my chest to recover)

This adventure should be listed in the tech forum with all the pics.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

mmm didn't know it could be illegal!

Thanks I'll do some research.

Bought 10 litres of molasses today & it's now fermenting (probably give it a week) in the back yard.

The bonnet gave me some grief. Most of it is covered with a plastic like layer about .5mm thick under the top coat that's a mungrel to sand &/ or paint strip.
    With what you see now, I went through 20 sanding discs (all I bought yesterday) & quite a few coats of paint stripper.
    Being Thursday night I did the bolt to Super Cheap to get some more discs for tomorrow.
    The hardest bit is done as the edges don't even seem to have undercoat

Somehow tomorrow, I need to finish the bonnet, light sand on underside as well to remove the glue from sound deadening, & all 4 doors both sides.
    We shall see
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis68.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis69.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis70.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis71.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis72.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis73.jpg  

UFO

Gerry

How much did the Molasses cost and wheredjageddit?

$12.65 for 10 litres.
    Bought at Furneys StockFeeds 594 Boundary Rd Archerfield.

Smells yummy now but it won't in 10 days

UFO

$12.65 for 10 litres.
    Bought at Furneys StockFeeds 594 Boundary Rd Archerfield.

Smells yummy now but it won't in 10 days
    That's a turnabout. Furneys Stock Feeds is owned by a family from Dubbo - where I come from. And here was me bagging out a Qld resident about not knowing where to find molasses

Continuation of images from above post....
    You should've given a warning like 'some viewers may find these images disturbing' before posting these pics

Good luck though, it'll all be repairable
    1986 2CV Spécial - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    That's a turnabout. Furneys Stock Feeds is owned by a family from Dubbo - where I come from. And here was me bagging out a Qld resident about not knowing where to find molasses
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by TinSnail1
    You should've given a warning like 'some viewers may find these images disturbing' before posting these pics

Good luck though, it'll all be repairable
    Hopefully this 2CV is not the usual.

Remember it looked like this:

Didn't get all the panels rubbed back today.
    Few things came up.
    The sander's velco pad really decided to not even hold a pad anymore so I had to try & buy a replacement. No go!
    I ended up peeling off the velcro & sticking on a new bit which seemed to have worked.
    A guy came to look at the C5 & is going to take it away on Monday. one
    Ordering a new galvanised chassis next week. two

Should have the sanding done by tomorrow. three

Want it all done by first week in April. Four
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis74.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis75.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis76.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis77.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis78.jpg  

Mr Greenblood purchased a you beauty air compressor today & I did my duty & was right there to borrow it, his new air hose, spray gun, work premises, power, spray painting pro-ess, & other associated equipment like a fellow frogger's supposed to do.

We eventually found a place to buy automotive paints on a Saturday morning after finding out Dulux trade Centres no longer keep automotive paint.

A trip to John's Automotive Paints at Hemmant for 4litres of etch primer, half litre of metal deoxidiser, 4 litres spray putty primer, 1Kg of bog & about 8 sanding discs = $122.

As you can see, basically all the bits to be "plum" (maroon colour) are now etch primed. Mr GB's output improved as each of the panels went through his spray booth.
    Note one of the images there is a deep sheen

Pretty bloody successful day I think.
    I will probably need to book Mr GB again in the not too distant future for the doors, bonnet, A panels & body

Thankyou very much Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis79.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis80.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis81.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis82.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis83.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis84.jpg  

Some more images from 18/02/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis85.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis86.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis87.jpg  

Gawd, ya ain't arf a bloody slavedriver are ya Guvner??

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Icon12

Mr Greenblood purchased a you beauty air compressor today & I did my duty & was right there to borrow it, his new air hose, spray gun, work premises, power, spray painting pro-ess, & other associated equipment like a fellow frogger's supposed to do.

We eventually found a place to buy automotive paints on a Saturday morning after finding out Dulux trade Centres no longer keep automotive paint.

A trip to John's Automotive Paints at Hemmant for 4litres of etch primer, half litre of metal deoxidiser, 4 litres spray putty primer, 1Kg of bog & about 8 sanding discs = $122.

As you can see, basically all the bits to be "plum" (maroon colour) are now etch primed. Mr GB's output improved as each of the panels went through his spray booth.
    Note one of the images there is a deep sheen

Pretty bloody successful day I think.
    I will probably need to book Mr GB again in the not too distant future for the doors, bonnet, A panels & body

Thankyou very much Chris
    My pleasure, no really... I enjoyed every minute

We should have taken a pic of John's Automotive Paints it would have put a few things into perspective, these guys are the best people, very helpful and at a guess a good 10% cheaper than their opposition - certainly no fancy overheads though...

I was thrilled with the days progress, as Shane has pointed out with his project it'll be quite some time with filling, undercoats and much, much more sanding before we start dressing Dolly in her new clothes.

If nothing else that pic of the reflection of my D in the Berlingo rear window more than made the day worthwhile.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    C5 HDi Rouge Lucifer

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

If all goes to plan and I can borrow a trailer, I have a bloody big ride-on to collect from Karralee on Sunday, so I'll drop in and say gudday.
    That should be a sight to behold, me hauling a loaded trailer through the middle of Brisbane...............no more Mr Nice Guy; better tell all Froggers to stay home if this eventuates.
    Might bring a few of the goodies from the cellar if I have time.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Geez the molasses is beginning to stink.

Mid week I'll takes pics of bits before they go in, & then, when they come out.
    I am supposed to leave it fermenting for 3 weeks but I'm not one to beat around the bush. I'll leave the bits in for a few days & check on them.

I have other plastic stuff soaking in bleach, I checked on these today & all is clean.

The front doors are pretty much ready for etch primer & I have started on one of the rear doors.

With the C5 gone I have extra space to work. I'll spin the body around facing down the driveway (still under the house) which will give me plenty of space behind as well as a good 5 metres in front.
    The space at the rear I will use for panel storage. The etched panels are currently residing in the laundry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis88.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis89.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis90.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis91.jpg  

Not much to report today. Been a bit busy with organising the C5 sale. It is now gone which leaves me with more space, only needing to accommodate 2 cars on the property.

So in light of this I spun the duck around 90 deg so access is easier. It also allows me to park panels in behind out of harms way, just need more cardboard.

Check the molasses!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis92.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis93.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis94.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis95.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis96.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis97.jpg  

So, all the doors are sanded now. The rear ones had very little filler in them, whereas the front ones had a lot. Hail damage was to the left rear door.

"A" panels have had one hit of paint stripper which damn near took it back to metal. They will be easy to finish off tomorrow. Both sides are to be painted yellow.

The body is completely stripped of all bolts & fittings. The rust area on the right rear near the tail light I knew about, but there is another section out of sight along the rear fold where two sheets are spot welded I didn't know about. All the areas to be welded/ looked at for repair I will wire brush back to bare metal hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.

Enough yabbering on, I took some pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis98.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis99.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis100.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis101.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis102.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis103.jpg  

More pics 21/02/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis104.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis105.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis106.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis107.jpg  

No piccies today.

Nearly half the firewall is back to bare metal, bonnet is completely paintless on top & residue of sound deadening has been removed with turps & paint scraper. The underside still requires a light sand.

Both "a" panels are back to bare metal & reverse side has been lighly sanded.

Windscreen rubber cleaned up in bleach & yellow paint along seam is now gone. Getting a new screen to replace this one I broke.

Grille is clean as now too.

Gathered bits of metal & bolts that are off colour ready for some molasses. I just hope I can remember where they all go as they were in some sort of order from when I dismantled the duck.

Forgot to say I ordered 1 litre of POR 15 & 500ml of metal ready today.
    I hope there's enough.

Here:
    http://www.ppc.au.com/prevention.htm
    & here:
    http://www.ppc.au.com/preparation_metalready.htm

Using the flappy wheel again on the angle grinder I was able to remove corroded metal from a few problem areas. Around the back right side window is now rust free, just requiring treatment & some more fine touches to the bonnet & all 4 doors with the angle grinder on slow speed worked well.

The doors have most of the hard to get at places now bare metal, I'll have to do the rest by hand.

The contact glue used to hold the roof panel carpets on proved to be difficult to remove. I ended up using turps & a scourer. Leave turps on the glue for a few minutes then rub with more turps within the scourer. It burnt my arms but after an hour & a half it was pretty much gone. I need to finish off with a turps filled sponge.

The carpet has been sent to mum whom I hope can create something a bit more classy than the grey feral look of the one I took out. It would look good in maroon colour carpet to match the plum & custard paint & seats.

Although these addon's are not original, I think you can get away with it in a 2CV, plus they are reversable & subtle.

Well I'm ready for some more etching at the weekend if the weather is kind. We do need the rain though.

I'll be casting some rusty metal 2CV fixtures to the smelly potion on Saturday. I was thinking that deep fryer baskets would be the go for dunking & de-dunking a heap of bolts.

No duck progress report for tomorrow, back into it on Saturday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis108.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis109.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis110.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis111.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis112.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis113.jpg  

More pics from 23/02/06
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis114.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis115.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis116.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis117.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis118.jpg   2CV Chassis Replacement-chassis119.jpg  

UFO

Just be careful about the metals you put in the molasses though. Make sure they are compatible with the brew and will not produce undesirable results - that is if you use deep fry baskets.

What about onion bags? They may be more neutral.

Page 3 of 9 First 1234567 ... Last

Thread Information