1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia" - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 17 First 1234567814 ... Last
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: 1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

Fellow Frogger

Spheres are fairly easy to change. You depressurise the system by lowering it to minimum height and then undo the regulator bleed screw half a turn to release the pressure in the accumulator. You will need a strap wrench of some kind and rags to catch the fluid that will leak when you remove the spheres. Sometimes spheres can be undone by hand, which is fine as they don't need to be overly tight. Obviously, you need to jack the back a little and you don't even need to remove the rear guards. The accumulator is a little more of a fiddle as it's not easy to get at without removing the regulator. Someone who knows what to do would have a full set of spheres changed and cleaned up well inside an hour. It's worth having a go yourself. Start with the front.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by renault12 View Post

Annoyed I wasted the money doing the thermofan thing properly. I'm so tempted to remove it completely now. I'm sure I don't need it anyway and it'll only impede the efficiency of the death fan anyway. I'll see how I feel.

Well friendly advice and regular technical days are also what the CCCNSW can offer you...
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Default 1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"

!!!!!

How does the speedo cable join separate!?!

It's driving me nuts!1972 Citroën D Special- "Celia"-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354945310.375386.jpg

Icon3

!!!!!

How does the speedo cable join separate!?!

It's driving me nuts!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354945310.375386.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	37492
    That's not the speedo cable

The spedeo cable is quite thin by comparison, the join under the bonnet should be around where the sphere sits usually a grey cable with a brass knurled male female connection - just unscrew to separate.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks Chris.

I thought this may be the clutch cable when I started but it's not- what is it?

Ill go and look for the real speedo cable now.

Oh and while you're imparting wisdom- do you know the easiest way to get the exhaust downpipe off? From the top or bottom..? I can't see how it can be done with the manifold still on :-(

Fellow Frogger

The cables of that size are the clutch and handbrake cable. Just follow them both to make an ientification. The speedo cable will run from the front of the gearbox, up past the air cleaner and then in through the firewall just next to the steering column. There should be a join roughly near the right side suspension sphere.

I don't think you'll be able to remove the manifold with the downpipe attached unless you are removing the engine/gearbox as a unit and split it at the flexible pipe underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The cables of that size are the clutch and handbrake cable. Just follow them both to make an ientification. The speedo cable will run from the front of the gearbox, up past the air cleaner and then in through the firewall just next to the steering column. There should be a join roughly near the right side suspension sphere.
    It's the handbrake cable!

Thanks David, that clears that up. I thought it looked like a very "robust" speedo cable.. Now that I've fiddled with that, do I need to adjust the handbrake? Where is the adjustment undertaken..?

Thanks!

Fellow Frogger

It's the handbrake cable!

Thanks David, that clears that up. I thought it looked like a very "robust" speedo cable.. Now that I've fiddled with that, do I need to adjust the handbrake? Where is the adjustment undertaken..?

Thanks!
    YES! As with all hydraulic Citroen cars with pressure brakes (DS/GS/CX/BX/XA/XM but not C5/C6), you MUST have a working handbrake or you can't stop if you lose hydraulic pressure. Same in the morning when you go to start it. The handbrake is the only way to stop it rolling. It obviously worked before, so adjust it back how it was - look for the corrosion marks on the thread as an initial guide as to where it was.

Re NSW rego plates: In NSW you get 3 months to renew the rego. Leave it longer and you lose the rego plates forever. If it will be more than 3 months out of rego and you want to keep the plates (in this case you want to), you MUST put them in storage. The best you can hope for if you lose the original plates is black and whites with the same number and an annual extra fee.

YES! As with all hydraulic Citroen cars with pressure brakes (DS/GS/CX/BX/XA/XM but not C5/C6), you MUST have a working handbrake or you can't stop if you lose hydraulic pressure. Same in the morning when you go to start it. The handbrake is the only way to stop it rolling. It obviously worked before, so adjust it back how it was - look for the corrosion marks on the thread as an initial guide as to where it was.

Re NSW rego plates: In NSW you get 3 months to renew the rego. Leave it longer and you lose the rego plates forever. If it will be more than 3 months out of rego and you want to keep the plates (in this case you want to), you MUST put them in storage. The best you can hope for if you lose the original plates is black and whites with the same number and an annual extra fee.
    Thanks so much for your help.

I've put the handbrake back to how I found it- all works perfectly.

Well- I don't feel like a total clown now; I realized why I couldn't find the speedo cable! Someone has "insulated" the cable in fuel hose- I saw it while I was searching but thought it must have been the fuel hose!

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354964556.089502.jpg
    You can see it in the bottom right of this picture. I'm going to take it off- the speedo cable is all rusty on the outside (speedo worked well though & didn't bounce too much so ill probably leave it for the time being) as moisture has been trapped inside the hose.

While watching "from Russia with love" this evening (the baddies drive a traction!), I changed the speedo and cleaned up the instrument cluster.

Metric vs imperial:

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354964665.618642.jpg

I used a brush to dust everything before using Meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish (very fine abrasive) on both the inside & outside of the instrument windows and used it to polish the chrome rings (much softer than metal polish). I then finally finished it off by going over the chrome with some autoglym super resin polish using a cotton bud.

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354965254.985851.jpg
    1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354965319.483667.jpg
    1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354965359.169647.jpg
    1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354965469.768297.jpg
    Happy with how it turned out! I also used the temperature gauge sticker greenblood kindly supplied- looks fantastic, thanks again!

Ill put it back in tomorrow morning before work- now I just need to clean up the rest of the dash!

I also removed the exhaust this afternoon in readiness for the arrival of the new one- remarkably simple to do actually! Hopefully the new one goes on as easily as this one came off!

Good to know. It's still registered (I'll make sure it says that way- hopefully only another couple of weeks & it'll be drivable); renewal is due in march.

Apparently the previous owner had a fairly sympathetic inspection location- must have been a very cursory inspection given how much work I've had to do to have her what I hope to be semi reliable!

I'm thinking I'll have a go at changing the spheres myself (with mnm's help!)- it'll save me having to get it somewhere while she's undrivable too.

On the panel work front, the bootlid is now finished and ready for primer. I'm pretty happy with how the internal support came up! 1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354966054.541027.jpg
    1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354966077.323568.jpg

The door is coming along well- I've made my own repair panels for the sections that needed new metal. The door bottom, for the most part, was ok- just a couple of rust holes. I decided to cut those sections out and weld in patches rather than fabricating an entire new door bottom. A light skim of filler n you shouldn't even see where the repairs were.

The door skin is good now too- I forgot to take a picture but I'll grab one tomorrow. There were several rust repairs obviously from when Celia was painted the first time- most of which were fairly average... In some parts the filler was over 14mm thick! I cut those sections out completely and welded in new metal (well Chris, my panelbeater friend did- well beyond my welding skills!). At least the panels I'll have repaired are done properly and will last many years.

For the rest of the doors I think I may buy replacement skins from franzose or citroworld- anyone used them? I'm a little concerned about the quality.

Your making great progress, your instrument cluster is one of the better ones out there, cleaned up very nicely well done. Take care now when re-fitting just a gentle nip up on those fixing screws.

I very impressed that you have removed the engine pipe without any trouble I'm thinking it must be the single pipe rather than the duel? If it's the latter then double well done, that in my view a real mongrel of a job.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

1000+ Posts

Bad Bertie had rear passenger doors for sale try him, I bought a nice rear bumper off him in July, he's a good bloke

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Your making great progress, your instrument cluster is one of the better ones out there, cleaned up very nicely well done. Take care now when re-fitting just a gentle nip up on those fixing screws.

I very impressed that you have removed the engine pipe without any trouble I'm thinking it must be the single pipe rather than the duel? If it's the latter then double well done, that in my view a real mongrel of a job.

Cheers
    Chris
    Difficulty is relative dependent on the skill of the mechanic I suppose. But I do like your use of duel instead of dual.

Cecilia is a late D Spec so would have the two piece exhaust manifold.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Difficulty is relative dependent on the skill of the mechanic I suppose. But I do like your use of duel instead of dual.

An appropriate accidental Craig, well spotted we are both all too aware the difference one single letter can make - especially when communications are possibly sensitive and should be private (private joke)!

With regard to the dual manifold, there have been many skilled mechanics with the best tools at hand that have cursed the connection between the manifold and engine pipe - Toby is well deserving of a good pat on the back for his effort.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

UFO

An appropriate accidental Craig, well spotted we are both all too aware the difference one single letter can make - especially when communications are possibly sensitive and should be private (private joke)!

Cheers
    Chris
    To quote Big Bang Theory "Bazinga!"

Icon11

To quote Big Bang Theory "Bazinga!"
    Bazinga!!! I think you'll find this D Special's name is Celia - not Cecilia

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Cheers
    Chris
    Haha you're right! And yes- the most unpleasant job thus far. On a positive, I'm very proud of myself- I changed the 2 front spheres! They came off much easier than I thought.

Apparently they're CX spheres.. Anyone want them? Guess you'd need to check them but the ride was still quite good. Free to good home.

Ill print the CCCNSW membership form this afternoon.. I'm going to need some lhm!

Still need to work out how to put the new downpipe on. Any tips? It's almost impossible to access the bolts!!!

Fellow Frogger!

If I remember correctly, reached form underneath using a socket on the end of about 1/2 hundred extensions !!!

Fun job. Do spray the nuts liberally for a few days before the event. The ones on the car I mean !

Richard

UFO

Cheers
    Chris

Stop it, you're breaking my heart! We had too much of a good time this afternoon hosting an afternoon tea for Gerry and Yo Freed while they caught up with their South Coast branch of CCCNSW old friends. Cake? Did someone say cake?

Anyway, a couple of 3/8ths extensions with the far end one being a wobble bar (not universal) and you should be able to get onto it. Look for my starter motor replacement thread from last year for some clues.

Thanks guys. I hoped there'd be an easier way than I had to endure while removing it.. Obviously not.

Ill make sure I put some anti-seize compound on the nuts when I put them on (if I ever can!) to make the job easier if there's ever a next time *reaches for wood*.. I hate jobs like this.

Instrument panel is back in the car safe & sound. I'll take some pictures during tomorrow's work session.

Seems like everything I do just adds another 2 jobs to the list- this is going to be never-ending. Removing the air cleaner revealed the inlet hose was held together with silicone.. New one of them required too!

I think, no disrespect to the prior owner, that Celia has been a tiny bit neglected over the last few years. Fundamentally a good, clean car but with a few years of maintenance and replacement parts required...

Icon3

Thanks guys. I hoped there'd be an easier way than I had to endure while removing it.. Obviously not.

Ill make sure I put some anti-seize compound on the nuts when I put them on (if I ever can!) to make the job easier if there's ever a next time *reaches for wood*.. I hate jobs like this.

Instrument panel is back in the car safe & sound. I'll take some pictures during tomorrow's work session.

Seems like everything I do just adds another 2 jobs to the list- this is going to be never-ending. Removing the air cleaner revealed the inlet hose was held together with silicone.. New one of them required too!

I think, no disrespect to the prior owner, that Celia has been a tiny bit neglected over the last few years. Fundamentally a good, clean car but with a few years of maintenance and replacement parts required...
    Haynes says re-fit is reversal of removal

I think the salient points have been raised, I will say if you can get someone to help it will make the job much easier. My daughter helped with mine, I worked under the car and Miss GB guided sockets onto nuts etc (small fine fingers being a big advantage). Working under the car I advise safety goggles, crud will drop and the occasional spanner/socket etc. In reality there is only one awkward nut to reach at the union the other three can be attended to from above. Fit the new gaskets to the down-pipe they will hold in position as they are a firm fit and feed the pipe up into position.

When you say next time, that is probably going to be when you need a new starter and/or engine mounts - do you know the condition of these items. The starter requires removal of the exhaust manifold(s) and therefore dropping the engine pipe. If there is any doubt regarding condition of either the starter or engine mount(s) it may be worth including this work as you are half way there now.

If you are ordering a new carby to air-cleaner hose get the two breather hoses at the same time, your old hoses are probably brittle and ready to break up.

Probably not what you would want to hear as you are keen to get the car back on the road, but it would be remiss not to give this advise whilst things are apart

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

And my contribution, based on bitter experience, is to replace the four studs in the manifold flange before reassembly. One oc mine sheared off on final tightening
    Also, as GB mentioned, now would be a good time to check on the condition of engine mounts while you have access.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

UFO

Yes, Greanblud and Michael beat me to it. Do engine mount rebuilds and the starter while you're staring at them.

!!!!!!!!!!

FAR OUT!!

How the hell do I get the downpipe out!?! Can I do it with the manifold still on!?!

!!!!!!!!!!

FAR OUT!!

How the hell do I get the downpipe out!?! Can I do it with the manifold still on!?!
    Ahh, I thought you had removed the engine pipe already? I've not had to completely remove one myself, just get it out of the way to remove the manifolds to get to the starter and engine mount...

So, let's see where you are at.
    Have you released the lower bracket from the gearbox and released the engine pipe from the flex that joins to the muffler?

Is the car raised and sitting on stands? If so are you finding there is insufficient room now below the car to drop the the engine pipe low enough to clear the underside? If so, do you have a trolley jack to get enough clearance (careful if you raise the car make sure you place some timber under the stand as you lift.

Let us know what is causing the problem, if it's not going to come out from underneath then yes you will have to remove the manifolds and bring it out from above.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Page 4 of 17 First 1234567814 ... Last

Thread Information