• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 17 First 12345612 ... Last
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: 1972 CitroŽn D Special- "Celia"

Default 1972 CitroŽn D Special- "Celia"

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Toby,
    Originally the radio for a DS 3rd. nose was fitted in the pocket above the ashtray. As you can see it's an odd size and a standard din headunit will not fit. Continental Edison, Phillips and a few others made a unit that was a custom fit, these can be had for big money (think 600Euro ) with the only real benefit being original period fitment, most are mono and have limited FM band - I've seen these retro fitted with provision for USB/iPod connection but you are still dealing with pretty poor sound quality.

I'm waiting for RetroSound USA to release their 'Model 2' (currently no info on this model on their website but a quick search should reveal features) - http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

These will fit the centre pocket and come with USB/iPod/Aux/ and over and above their current models bluetooth for hands free. I plan to run through a separate amp. Front speakers are in the footwell on the raised box section and because the holes are already in place 6 x 9s in the rear parcel shelf. I'm not interested in Doof Doof, so if I install a sub it will be a small under seat jobby. The RetroSound can be customised to the look you are after, buttons/ knobs/ control face/ bezel illumination colours etc. Should be a good solution for a period look utilising modern technology.

Your work is progressing nicely, very satisfying setting the ratchet to 'tighten' one day 'oh yes', one day I'll have that pleasure

Cheers
    Chris
    Chris,

That's great- exactly what I wanted to know!

Ä600!?! I don't need sound that badly! That retroradio 2 looks fantastic- maybe I'll just wait it out until they come along.

I've got 6" holes in the rear shelf.. Can you get period looking speakers? I'll have to check out eBay.

I just bought myself a radiator.. $310 shipped.. Couldn't believe someone would actually make one of these! Fingers crossed it's half decent- I think I'll paint it black so it looks more original. I'll let you know when it arrives.. I measured mine up and it looks good...!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140865784...175%26_rdc%3D1

Advertisement

UFO

Being aluminium with only a fairly light metal frame they are flexible - not that you want them to! Unless you have a lazy $1200 or so lying around.

UFO,

Yeah, mine is very flexible.. I'm always super careful to make sure it's properly latched closed and keep it safe from disasters like a wayward garage door.

That makes the rectification of my racing bonnet vents a little more difficult though.. Bummer. Aluminum can be TIG welded by someone with appropriate skills right...?

Thanks,

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by renault12 View Post
    UFO,

Yeah, mine is very flexible.. I'm always super careful to make sure it's properly latched closed and keep it safe from disasters like a wayward garage door.

That makes the rectification of my racing bonnet vents a little more difficult though.. Bummer. Aluminum can be TIG welded by someone with appropriate skills right...?

Thanks,

Toby
    A good tradesperson should be able to produce a good result. I would think it to be a tricky project though, the alluminium is quite thin, aged and possibly brittle as a result of 30 years of flexing, it would require very skillful welding. The chances of horrible distortion make it a risky option. Getting your bonnet to and from exacerbates the risk.

Another option you could achieve from home would be panel adhesive, trace the hole, using a panel flanger/joddler (mine is 13mm) cut a repair panel 13mm bigger in all directions. Flange/joddle the panel which should now fit into place on the under side of the bonnet and be level with the outside. Use panel adhesive on the flange, clamp (tricky), and once set careful dolly work and a small amount of filler. The underside will not be seen with the insulation in place. 3M or Wurth have an appropriate product - quite expensive if you buy the application gun, I'd say not necessary as it is basically a two part epoxy you can mix and apply to such a small area without their gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Chris- you're a genius!

That's a great idea. I'll put that on my list- feels better to have a job "owing" but knowing you have a solution than having an unsolved problem..

All I keep telling myself is I'm so glad I bought a complete car. Would have been a total disaster to have bought a non running wreck.. I'd need a budget a million times larger than what I have.

Every little thing I saw when I bought her and thought "oh it's ok- all these bits are available new.. Imagine how nice it'll look!" has now turned in to "oh my god! Ä90 for a doorhandle!?!"...! Only thought of that after your comment on the bonnet lining- mine is missing; yet another thing to buy.

On another expenditure note, I always hated that a French car would have an imperial speedometer fitted! I was lucky enough to find a metric speedo assembly on eBay france yesterday for Ä6! Woo!

That'll be my "inside" job to do when i'm forced to spend time on the couch...!

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353199270.519545.jpg

How hard are they to change?

I'll have another go at something when I get home from work this afternoon- damn shiftwork! Need to go couch shopping though which may eat into my special garage time...!

Until next time,

Toby

Default celia- photos of radio

hi
    this is one model of these radios, it is fitted with a iPod jack and works, i searched for years to secure this and bought it is Germany, these are extremely scarce, the controls are not what they should be, but i have also managed to find the correct ones on the net to replace them when i fix it in the car. this is only for show and no go as they do not work in oz.
    There is also a up-spec model as well with one normal volume control,and a tuning wheel positioned vertically.
    my suggestion is that if you want to get the period radio,be very patient and just look on the net, they do come up from time to time and as it is not essential that it works so you can get these for reasonable money. i have come across other after i found mine.

trust this helps.
    i realise that this is not essential for the car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-dscn6247.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-dscn6248.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    hi
    this is one model of these radios, it is fitted with a iPod jack and works, i searched for years to secure this and bought it is Germany, these are extremely scarce, the controls are not what they should be, but i have also managed to find the correct ones on the net to replace them when i fix it in the car. this is only for show and no go as they do not work in oz.
    There is also a up-spec model as well with one normal volume control,and a tuning wheel positioned vertically.
    my suggestion is that if you want to get the period radio,be very patient and just look on the net, they do come up from time to time and as it is not essential that it works so you can get these for reasonable money. i have come across other after i found mine.

trust this helps.
    i realise that this is not essential for the car
    Lamoor,

That's fantastic! So if I understand correctly, the radio doesn't work (obviously the frequency band is different) but you've fitted an iPod jack and so it'll play things off an iPod?

Does it fit in the pocket on the dash? If it does- any chance of a picture fitted? I reckon that'd be perfect.. Then I get to remove my antenna AND have a period radio.

Perfect.

Thanks heaps for sharing and nice work!

Toby

Hi Toby,

I think you need to spend some time on the www.nuancierds.fr site. Here is a page on radios for you to start with:

http://www.nuancierds.fr/DT%20autoradios%203.htm

You might be gone for days once you start exploring !
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Icon3

Lamoor,

That's fantastic! So if I understand correctly, the radio doesn't work (obviously the frequency band is different) but you've fitted an iPod jack and so it'll play things off an iPod?

Does it fit in the pocket on the dash? If it does- any chance of a picture fitted? I reckon that'd be perfect.. Then I get to remove my antenna AND have a period radio.

Perfect.

Thanks heaps for sharing and nice work!

Toby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Hi Toby,

I think you need to spend some time on the www.nuancierds.fr site. Here is a page on radios for you to start with:

http://www.nuancierds.fr/DT%20autoradios%203.htm

You might be gone for days once you start exploring !
    Toby,
    If you really want to go that way I can put you in touch with a guy that repairs and modifies these radios with aux connections for ipod etc. The radios are sold in working order the Euro band is fine in Aus. These are a straight fit into the original radio pocket. Have a look at the site Michael pointed to above^

Currently he has at least four Continetal Edison ranging from 325 - 600Euro - plus shipping.
    These are three he sent me pictures of, I couldn't justify the cost and passed on all three.

Nice touch if you are after a totally original look, but for less than half the cost my money is still on the RetroSound.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-img_4958.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-img_4983.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-img_5101.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Oh my! What a fantastic resource! I've clearly been spending far too much time in the garage and not enough time researching.. That's amazing! Thanks so much for the link Michael- there goes my evening!

Chris,

You're right.. I had no idea they were that expensive. Amazing and fantastic to have such an authentic period piece but well outside what I'd be willing to spend.

I agree.. The retrosound seems like the go. Still- I'm getting well & truly carried away, I've got that much work to go before I need to panic about audio...!

Love researching this stuff though- part of the journey and the joy of owning a vehicle like the DS!

You guys are great. Thanks for the help and pointers; I'm itching to have it back on the road. Panel work will well and truly be the limiting factor during this initial phase (yes, there's a few different phases to get to my ultimate goal)!

I'm off to the garage for a few minutes before I need to do other things. I'll photograph any work worth sharing (don't hold your breath!)

Cheers guys!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Chris,

That's great- exactly what I wanted to know!

€600!?! I don't need sound that badly! That retroradio 2 looks fantastic- maybe I'll just wait it out until they come along.

I've got 6" holes in the rear shelf.. Can you get period looking speakers? I'll have to check out eBay.

I just bought myself a radiator.. $310 shipped.. Couldn't believe someone would actually make one of these! Fingers crossed it's half decent- I think I'll paint it black so it looks more original. I'll let you know when it arrives.. I measured mine up and it looks good...!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140865784...175%26_rdc%3D1
    When you paint the radiator, make certain you use the paint normally used for that. It's not a regular, run-of-the-mill spray paint, but rather it doesn't 'insulate' and clog the fins. Its a bit thinner than normal. Any rad shop should be able to sell you a can, or at least point you in the right direction.

In addition to RetroSound, there's Custom Autosound , which makes SecretAudio. Basically, a hidden stereo system.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default Celia

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    When you paint the radiator, make certain you use the paint normally used for that. It's not a regular, run-of-the-mill spray paint, but rather it doesn't 'insulate' and clog the fins. Its a bit thinner than normal. Any rad shop should be able to sell you a can, or at least point you in the right direction.

In addition to RetroSound, there's Custom Autosound , which makes SecretAudio. Basically, a hidden stereo system.
    hi guys
    yes great resource
    i agree with all of the above and the iPod connection was already connected, this guy basically deals with these types of radios. i met him through a friend and he used to go to old car swap meets and find these radios and then fix them up and sell to anyone who wanted period style units.
    my understanding is that the radio would not work but you connect the iPod and when you turn it on it plays through the speakers via the small amp i guess. i have yet to install so might get a shock if it doesn't work. But my intension was alway to fill the hole in the dash, and then get a stealth system by other means. this is the most practical when you consider the current technology available.
    next project to renovate the dash and install the radio. time time time where does it go!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Hotrodelectric,

I was just going to paint the tanks- I'm not all that concerned about the core as you can't really see that behind all the shrouds anyway. Will normal spray paint be ok for these areas..? I figured it would?

So.. Spent a solid morning on the car today before having to go to work.

I've mounted the numberplate which now all but completes the front end until I get the third nose panel back from paint.

I stuck some foam tape to the back of the numberplate to stop it from scratching my shiny new panel:

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353313208.479175.jpg

Then I used a tape measure and my ilevel app on my iPhone to ensure it was straight before drilling the holes..

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353313278.095220.jpg

Now tell me.. These are the original plates- now exactly 40 years old. I think that's pretty special.. Only thing is the front one (as you can see) is pretty badly worn.. Is this patina or just looking crap? I can get the original plates re-issued. It just looks a little funny with everything else nice, new and shiny and the numberplate so aged.. Kind of cool though. Thoughts?

I also embarked on the epic journey of replacing the rear window "mousse" seal at the bottom of the window.. Here's why:

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353313436.762730.jpg

Wow. I actually had doubts I'd be able to do this one on my lonesome.

On a positive note, there's absolutely no rust around the windowframe or at the base of the c pillars where they join to the parcel shelf! I'm pretty happy with that. I injected fish oil into the c pillars through the little holes in the back under the seal; not sure whether it'll do anything other than make me feel better!

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353313602.271266.jpg

Window back in and happy! I obviously Couldn't take photos as I was refitting.. I fitted the seal to the frame and then "levered" the window back in. I lubricated the seal with a little bit of fish oil (was on my hands!) and then persisted until I had it in the whole way round. Tough work. Ah well- at least it's done and looks much better for it. The citroworld seal fitted really well too just in case anyone is wondering.

So. Tomorrow.. I'm going to start taking my radiator out. Even if the new one doesn't fit, this one still needs to come out to be repaired. While it's out, I want to clean the engine bay properly. I'll have to buy a pressure washer unfortunately, probably one of those things I'll use rarely but still, will be useful when I need it.

Has anyone had success cleaning the brake ducts/radiator shroud using that blitz aluminum cleaner by chemtech..? That's what I think I'll try, but happy to hear suggestions.

Until tomorrow!

Cheers,

Toby

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353314352.005039.jpg

I'm in love!

Icon12

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353314352.005039.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	36739

I'm in love!
    They're addictive, for my part it could be the result of playing with Meccano when I was a child
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano

That the D can be taken apart and re-assembled mostly single handedly with a basic tool kit is a huge part of the appeal. Individual components are themselves beautiful objects, assembled there is little to compare in the price bracket. On top of that they are individually unique, even when they came off the production line no two cars behaved in exactly the same way. What other car comes to life in the way a hydraulic Citroen does on startup?

Celia will reward all and any pampering, involve your girlfriend or she may become a little envious of the attention given to Celia

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon10

Chris,

I've got that under control.. See, when I went to look at Celia, I was a little undecided- I mean, I always wanted a D, but was fully aware of the time/money required. Kate was there to persuade- she was all for selling my Megane and getting into something old again. I think she was sick of my lamenting about the fact I had nothing to do on the car other than clean. Well- we've well and truly solved that probloem with Celia!

Her only condition? That Celia be used as our wedding car. I sense there may be some pressure coming up. At least I can always say she's never finished!

On another note; ever since I got Celia, I've been wondering what colour she's painted. Knowing the paint code would be a massive help come paint time.. I could match to the faded paint on her now, but I'd much rather mix to a code if possible.

I previously thought maybe AC 305, Jonquille, may have been close- but it's definately not the colour. Too light and not vivid enough.

Well, thanks to MichaelR's fantastic link work (Told you I'd be spending more time on the computer!), I think I may have found it!

AC 307- Jaune Panama.

See examples here http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC%20307%20Jaune%20Panama.htm

What do you guys think? Craig- knowing the original owner, have you any idea of the colour? I would have thought that it was a Citroen colour; I mean there were so many great colours, particularly on the early cars, that I really wouldn't see the need (particularly for an enthusiast) to venture outside the family for paint..

They look almost identical to my eyes. Maybe I'll run it by the panel shop and see what they think. Even if it's not the same, I'm tempted to use this colour anyhow..

Thoughts?

Oh- one more thing! The bumpers.. they're stainless steel right? Obviously not a super high grade (They're still magnetic) but stainless rather than chrome?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image2.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-jaune%2520panama%25201960%25202.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-jaune%2520panama%25201.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image4.jpg  

UFO

Keep the original plates - don't get them remade. Mort's green D, while not an original colour, still has its original issue plates and they just look right.

I have always known this car to be this colour, but others who have known it longer may know otherwise. I've only known it about 15 years or so. Does it still have the very shiny rocker cover on the engine?

Making good progress. Good news about the C pillar. Those parts are usually first to rust if there is any problem with roof seals.

You will find a nice little trick when removing the radiator. The two screws (bolts) which fasten the base of the radiator to the cross member are not easy to get to. They run up from underneath! However, the upper ends (the hex is underneath) are slotted so they can be wound out with a narrow screw driver. Run a little WD 40 or something on them asap.

It is generally considered a bad idea to use a pressure cleaner in a DS engine compartment as there are lots of places that water should not be allowed to go. Be cautious with your cleaning.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Keep the original plates - don't get them remade. Mort's green D, while not an original colour, still has its original issue plates and they just look right.

I have always known this car to be this colour, but others who have known it longer may know otherwise. I've only known it about 15 years or so. Does it still have the very shiny rocker cover on the engine?
    Thanks Craig- I knew you'd have something for me! Yeah I'd guess it's been this colour for about 15 or so years judging by all the documentation and service books I got with the car. I'll definitely keep the original plates; don't know why I had other ideas! Pretty cool to think she's 40 years old.. Imagine the things this car has seen over it's life!

Yep- shiny rocker cover is still there. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow for you! Has it been polished do you think?

You will find a nice little trick when removing the radiator. The two screws (bolts) which fasten the base of the radiator to the cross member are not easy to get to. They run up from underneath! However, the upper ends (the hex is underneath) are slotted so they can be wound out with a narrow screw driver. Run a little WD 40 or something on them asap.

It is generally considered a bad idea to use a pressure cleaner in a DS engine compartment as there are lots of places that water should not be allowed to go. Be cautious with your cleaning.
    Michael,

Excellent information- so glad I started this thread rather than just soldiering on alone- great motivation but most of all, great information.

Thanks for the radiator removal tip, I'll spray some on tomorrow morning and let it soak, no rush to pull things apart!

I was actually thinking that about the pressure cleaner- that's the reason I don't have one in the first place. What's the generally accepted method? I usually don't let things get dirty enough to need serious cleaning. Maybe petrol and a paintbrush?

I'm having serious concerns about my radiator. Hope it actually fits. I've never had much luck with cheap Chinese stuff.... We shall see. Will be a pretty cool solution if it does fit though!

Thanks again all!

UFO

I recall that Jenny's partner at the time was a panel beater or painter, and he had a lot to do with the respray. (Come on Mort or DS, help me out here!) He also polished the rocker cover.

If you're going to pull the radiator out you may as well consider replacing the belts and lower radiator hoses at the same time - unless you know they are good.

Cleaning with kero and a brush and rags would probably be best.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I recall that Jenny's partner at the time was a panel beater or painter, and he had a lot to do with the respray. (Come on Mort or DS, help me out here!) He also polished the rocker cover.

Cleaning with kero and a brush and rags would probably be best.
    UFO,

That's the story I was told- thanks for confirming!

I used that exact cleaning method after I removed the radiator today, came up a treat!

I pulled the radiator out this morning; the new one has arrived and can be picked up from the post office tomorrow morning. I'll put some pics up when I get it.

As usual, pulling something apart has revealed a multitude of other things that need doing! Check out the radiator fan- not sure how this happened! Anyone got a spare or know where I can get one locally? I relly dont want to have to wait weeks for one from Europe. Same with the radiator hoses; I'd love to change them- where can I get them in OZ?

Photos are pre cleaning- I'll take some more when I trial fit the new radiator. MichaelR, you were right; removing the bolts that hold the radiator was quite a challenge. I couldnt hold it hard enough with a screwdriver! I had to resort to holding the nut with some vice grips (thankfully I could just "peel" back the metal covering the nuts on the top) and use a ratchet spanner underneath.

Feels like a never-ending project and I'm well and truly sick of not having a car!

I really need to get a better camera, the lens of my iphone is so badly damaged (dirty/scratched) so apologies for the woeful image quality.. It'll be better in tomorrows post!

Cheers,

Toby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image2.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image3.jpg   1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-image4.jpg  

Default Radiator Hoses and related stuff

Hi Toby.

When I was preparing Moby Dick for his rally experience, I wanted to make sure the radiator hoses were tip top. Unfortunately, the top one is pretty much only used on the D, but part of it at least can be adapted from a Mackay Rubber CH1241 hose. Not sure what car that hose is for, but I recall working my way through a wall of rad hoses with my samples looking for donors for the right bends and diameters.

The bottom hose was created from a couple of sections of a Mackay CH852 which as I recall was for a V8 Valiant! The D has a metal section in the middle as a tee off for the heater hose, and that enabled me to use different bits of the Valiant hose either end.

I ended up obtaining a good condition second hand top hose which I've still got. Murphy's law says that if you've got one, that won't be the bit that fails! (And no, I'm not parting with it, sorry) so I never had to test my theory of cobbling one together from odd bits.

I found that careful comparison with other bits revealed a couple of other compatible parts that weren't necessarily labelled Citroen. Here's the list I worked out:

Hydraulic drive belt: Bosch 11A0800 (2 needed)

Alternator Belt: Bosch 11A0980 (2 needed)

Thermostat is the same as a Peugeot 504, a TT238 (77 degree one) but make sure it's firmly clamped in position in the top hose so it can't be forced halfway up the hose and turn 90 degrees blocking the hose partly or you could end up driving from Nowra to Melbourne with an overheating D wondering all the way what was wrong. (Guess how I know this!)

Oh, and a recovery type radiator cap is a 536-07. I use a small plastic bottle as a catch tank and haven't had a major overheat since.

Incidentally, I also bit the bullet and cut my upper hose to accomodate an after market in line filter which has worked really well., It also lets me replace the narrower section with a straight bit of hose (not tapered) if ever I have to. The top hose shot shows the "Tefba" filter in place. The section between the filter and the radiator is the bit that can be replaced easily. Needless to day I didn't cut this hose until I had a good spare on hand.

The one of the bottom hose isn't really clear, other than showing why I replaced its sections. The two rubber sections were cut from the aforementioned Valiant hose.

Keep on enjoying your D-Special. I've had some great drives in Moby Dick and plan to have many many more. Don't obsess about getting every little detail right. In my opinion, the most fun is in driving these things, not looking at 'em. (Steps back cowering awaiting the castigation of the purists)

For what it's worth, I love that colour, and wouldn't care whether it's original Citroen or not. My car is actually Ford Ultra White which means I can touch up any indiscretions, or repairs, very easily. And it looks a million dollars when polished up.

Your car looks to be a lovely example, and it sounds like you're the right bloke to be its custodian.

May you have many wonderful times with the beast.

Cheers, Pottsy

1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-top-hose-showing-filter.jpg1972 Citroën D Special- &quot;Celia&quot;-bottom-hose-before-rebuild.jpg
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2006 307 Auto 5 Door ("Spike" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1982 ex UK 2CV6 ("Gaston") Under restoration
    Half of a 1984 2CV6Special ("The Alleged Vehicle")
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1098cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Keep on enjoying your D-Special. I've had some great drives in Moby Dick and plan to have many many more. Don't obsess about getting every little detail right. In my opinion, the most fun is in driving these things, not looking at 'em. (Steps back cowering awaiting the castigation of the purists)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Pottsy,
    You and Moby Dick have my utmost admiration and respect, Toby have a read through this thread for a glimpse of what Pottsy means when he says he enjoys driving rather than looking...

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...gle-Has-Landed

Toby, for hoses try Roger Parker in Adelaide. The top hose on a D seldom gives trouble are you sure you need to replace?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Hi Toby.

When I was preparing Moby Dick for his rally experience, I wanted to make sure the radiator hoses were tip top. Unfortunately, the top one is pretty much only used on the D, but part of it at least can be adapted from a Mackay Rubber CH1241 hose. Not sure what car that hose is for, but I recall working my way through a wall of rad hoses with my samples looking for donors for the right bends and diameters.

The bottom hose was created from a couple of sections of a Mackay CH852 which as I recall was for a V8 Valiant! The D has a metal section in the middle as a tee off for the heater hose, and that enabled me to use different bits of the Valiant hose either end.

I ended up obtaining a good condition second hand top hose which I've still got. Murphy's law says that if you've got one, that won't be the bit that fails! (And no, I'm not parting with it, sorry) so I never had to test my theory of cobbling one together from odd bits.

I found that careful comparison with other bits revealed a couple of other compatible parts that weren't necessarily labelled Citroen. Here's the list I worked out:

Hydraulic drive belt: Bosch 11A0800 (2 needed)

Alternator Belt: Bosch 11A0980 (2 needed)

Thermostat is the same as a Peugeot 504, a TT238 (77 degree one) but make sure it's firmly clamped in position in the top hose so it can't be forced halfway up the hose and turn 90 degrees blocking the hose partly or you could end up driving from Nowra to Melbourne with an overheating D wondering all the way what was wrong. (Guess how I know this!)

Oh, and a recovery type radiator cap is a 536-07. I use a small plastic bottle as a catch tank and haven't had a major overheat since.

Incidentally, I also bit the bullet and cut my upper hose to accomodate an after market in line filter which has worked really well., It also lets me replace the narrower section with a straight bit of hose (not tapered) if ever I have to. The top hose shot shows the "Tefba" filter in place. The section between the filter and the radiator is the bit that can be replaced easily. Needless to day I didn't cut this hose until I had a good spare on hand.

The one of the bottom hose isn't really clear, other than showing why I replaced its sections. The two rubber sections were cut from the aforementioned Valiant hose.

For what it's worth, I love that colour, and wouldn't care whether it's original Citroen or not. My car is actually Ford Ultra White which means I can touch up any indiscretions, or repairs, very easily. And it looks a million dollars when polished up.

Your car looks to be a lovely example, and it sounds like you're the right bloke to be its custodian.

May you have many wonderful times with the beast.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Pottsy,

Thanks for the information! The top hose is fine, and even so, not too hard to replace even when everything is fitted back in. The bottom one looks a little older though (and will be substantially more difficult to replace once everything is fitted back in) so I'd like to change that one if I can.

Ill head to Repco tomorrow morning as I needed a radiator cap anyway- now that I know the part number it'll be even easier (thanks again)!

Moby dick is amazing- you've made some great memories with that car! If my experience can be half as enjoyable and take me on half as many adventures as yours then I'm sure I've made the right choice!

Cheers again!

Toby

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hotrodelectric,

I was just going to paint the tanks- I'm not all that concerned about the core as you can't really see that behind all the shrouds anyway. Will normal spray paint be ok for these areas..? I figured it would?

Until tomorrow!

Cheers,

Toby
    Yah, the tanks are OK. You just don't want to build up what is essentially an insulator on the fins. You could probably get away with a quick spritz of standard flat black from a rattle can on the fins should you need to, just for dress. I learned that lesson the expensive way.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Page 2 of 17 First 12345612 ... Last

Thread Information