Doors won't stay locked!
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Doors won't stay locked!

New problem in the spoilt Xantia wagon (as in spoilt brat):

Frequently when I lock the car, the locks all spring open again. I don't have a working remote, so this is done with the conventional key. I have tried both - same result. If I hold the key in the "lock" position, usually everything stays locked. If I go around and open and slam every door (inc. boot) it usually locks OK (until next time).

Presume the most likely candidate is one of the door sensors, but what am I looking for? Where are they? My Series I Xantia has conventional spring-loaded buttons near the hinges, that get compressed when the door closes. The Series II has none of these - and no little holes (plugged or unplugged) where they might have been...

Advertisement

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

Isn't that what happens when one of the doors or tailgate has failed to lock and it unlocks? I'm not sure, but I thought that was part of the system. Some lubrication perhaps??

1000+ Posts

Have squirted all visible mechanisms with SupaCheep's finest - will see how it is in the morning. Hope I don't have to dismantle anything

JBN

If your remote is not working, buy a SuperCheap remote central locking kit. Keep the remotes and the black box. Wire the black box into your existing system. Discard the Citroen "plip" system. It never worked well on a good day. If you want further info and which wires to connect, PM me and i will send a Word document with pictures and explanation.

I find the boot is the biggest problem to the central locking (however actioned). I usually get mad, slam the thing, go through my list of French adjectives to describe me current feelings on Citroen and it disappears.

I have concluded that with any car's locking/security system, a thief has a shorter concentration span than an owner. If the thief can't break into the car within 30 seconds, he will go on to another car. The owner will persist indefinately to try to get the system working. Don't worry too much if you can't lock your Citroen. As soon as a thief reads Citroen on your car, he will cross to the otherside of the road and pick on something else to bring in the daily bread.

John

Try locking with the key in other door.

When the micro switches that control the central locking wear, you can get a "bounce" on the contacts.

This has the effect of immediately unlocking the car again.

Sometimes it's just an adjustment, sometimes the switch/lock assembly needs to be replaced.

1000+ Posts

Arrg!!! I have to deliver this car to Canberra in a week, and I'm still finding problems!

This locking problem has only just reared it's ugly head, & I've just been sidetracked into fixing the windscreen washers! The plastic hose had been crimped where it runs up past the bonnet hinge, and it finally cracked. Rather than removing the wing/mudguard or bumper to get access (which no doubt will have to be done soon to wash the crud out of the washer bottle), I used a joiner. Then had to find a pin/needle to adjust the jets, which were a bit unfocussed (like me at the moment)!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    If your remote is not working, buy a SuperCheap remote central locking kit. Keep the remotes and the black box. Wire the black box into your existing system. Discard the Citroen "plip" system. It never worked well on a good day. If you want further info and which wires to connect, PM me and i will send a Word document with pictures and explanation.

I find the boot is the biggest problem to the central locking (however actioned). I usually get mad, slam the thing, go through my list of French adjectives to describe me current feelings on Citroen and it disappears.

John
    Thanks for offer John - does this work for both Series I & II? Maybe one day I'll follow this up for the VSX (Series I), but I won't bother ATM for this car (Series II wagon). Yes I found that slamming things seemed to help too!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Try locking with the key in other door.

When the micro switches that control the central locking wear, you can get a "bounce" on the contacts.

This has the effect of immediately unlocking the car again.

Sometimes it's just an adjustment, sometimes the switch/lock assembly needs to be replaced.
    Rob I think you're on the money, but it's worse than I thought . The passenger door lock is much worse! At least with the driver's door, if I turn the lock and hold it for a moment, it doesn't 'bounce'. The passenger's door bounces no matter how I hold my mouth.

To adjust I presume the inside of the door must be dismantled?

So most probable conclusion is that the door locks have been swapped in the past. Out of interest, does a remote trigger the problem, or only a real key?

Cheers

Alec

JBN

I found the remote seemed to eliminate the problem. I had to swap the passenger side barrel to the drivers side as it was too worn to work. After I heard that a new barrel for that key would cost $200 and a couple of weeks wait ex France, I opted for the SuperCheap remote. Works like a charm for Series 1.

That remote also works much better than current Holden HSV remotes or current BMW remotes. Both the latter ones are difficult to operate instictively and in the case of the HSV, impossible to decipher the black symbol on the black background without glasses. The SuperCheap has a big purple button to lock the car and a smaller black button to unlock. Both have very good clear white symbols to denote "lock" and "unlock".

John

1000+ Posts

Icon8 Pesky door lock buttons

Update:

Problem was not key barrels - both work fine. The remote didn't solve the problem - same issue, locks would "bounce" open again. Doors could only be locked using the key in the driver's door - and then only if I held the key in the lock position for a second - failure to hold the lock position caused all doors to unlock again.

Lexia reported Passenger door lock fault. Inspection showed that the front passenger door had indeed been molested - lining had been torn open (repaired with masking tape) and there were scratches in the vicinity of the door latch/lock mechanism.

French Connection were able to remove the mechanism from a wreck, and post it to Canberra overnight - excellent service, much appreciated! I think it has impressed my son that just because he is now driving an unusual car, it doesn't mean that sourcing parts needs to be a major drama.

Of course no sooner had I completed the transaction (Mastercard debited etc.) than the problem disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared . However, given the intermittent faults in various other electrical components (boot lock actuator, electric windows, rear window wiper) I wasn't about to give it the benefit of the doubt - followed Robmac's advice and replaced the unit as planned.

All is now well, BUT I have problems with those pesky inner door lock buttons. Although I poked a small screwdriver into the appropriate hole to release these from the vertical steel rod, I can't get them back on properly.

At least one came off in two pieces (the moving part separated from the fixed section) - is this one broken, or are there different designs?

When I tried to reinstall, one lets me lock the door, but won't unlock it (it doesn't seem to have properly grabbed the rod). Another clicked into place, but seemed to be set too low. It then caused the locking to "bounce" all over again ! (could this have been the problem in the first place). Managed to release it with some difficulty (because it was too low), and have left it just sitting in place (for cosmetic reasons). Have issued strict instructions that it is not to be used .

Should I just buy some new ones? I suspect that if I get 2nd hand ones I'll probably have the same problems... Does anyone know if they are still available new (haven't been game to ask Continental Motors...).

The only reason I can think of for wanting to use these buttons would be if the car's occupant felt under threat, and wanted to quickly activate the central locking while in the car. Unlikely? Perhaps - but I'd like to get them working. More worrying is the potential for the passenger side unit to muck up and prevent the car being locked...

Cheers

Alec

The inner forked bit of the lock button needs separating and dunking in boiling water to reset it. Then reassemble button and follow the instructions of "kellyo".

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    The inner forked bit of the lock button needs separating and dunking in boiling water to reset it. Then reassemble button and follow the instructions of "kellyo".
    I have heard of "memory plastics", but had no idea my Xantia was so sophisticated !!

I can see that kellyo is/was moving through a very similar life stage to me, with many similar issues. However "Search" isn't really as helpful as it might be . Found that if I use the "Vbulletin Advanced Search", and search for User Name "kellyo", I only get 9 threads started by kellyo (bizzarely, at the bottom of the page it states "Results 1 to 9 of 11", with no way I can see of displaying the other two threads. Perhaps they are the 'R' or 'X' rated ones!), and no threads that he contributed to (but did not start).

When using multiple terms, the search engine seems to default to 'OR' - meaning that it will list every post that has at least one of the terms, rather than only showing threads that have all search terms('AND'). So any attempt to search for "Xantia door lock" produces a list of about 15 pages of threads that mention any one of the three words.

Anyway after much searching and reading, I found this http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...6amp%3B+button , in which John (JBN) gives a very good description of what to do.

Still not sure if units that come off the door in two separate parts are broken, or just an earlier model...

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 21st September 2012 at 09:52 PM.

JBN

The door lock design is a standard Bureau de Bastard one. I preferred the simple BX screw on knob design as it always worked.

I understand your desire for the occupants to be able to lock the doors internally if they feel in danger. May I suggest that if you can't get the doors to function properly, you get a CITROEN sign from the back of a wrecked Xantia and instruct any occupants to flash this sign at anyone attempting to break into the car. Grown men have been known to run for their lives when shown the CITROEN sign.

John

1000+ Posts

The door lock design is a standard Bureau de Bastard one. I preferred the simple BX screw on knob design as it always worked.
    Hear hear!!! It's pretty clear to me now that my mistake with the passenger lock was not locking the doors before trying to press on the button - result: it went down too far, preventing the door from locking (button couldn't be pulled any lower...). Never would have happened with a simple screw-on design! I am now about 800 km away from the vehicle, but I suppose I could pracice on my VSX ...

I understand your desire for the occupants to be able to lock the doors internally if they feel in danger. May I suggest that if you can't get the doors to function properly, you get a CITROEN sign from the back of a wrecked Xantia and instruct any occupants to flash this sign at anyone attempting to break into the car. Grown men have been known to run for their lives when shown the CITROEN sign.

John
    Hmmm - the Citroen sign has come off the back of the car, so you may be onto something John! Peugeot has it's lion, perhaps Citroen could adopt a big cat. A few tiger pictures displayed in the windows may do the trick! On the other hand, apart from the crocodile (which are too far North to be considered a threat by most people), the most terrifying animal routinely seen in these parts is the pig dog, surely a "breed" directly descended from the Hound of the Baskervilles.

A few life-size pictures of pig dogs displayed from rear windows, or better yet a real live pig-dog in the back seat, should provide all the security anyone could need.

But hang on - my son and his partner are expecting a baby, which won't be able to travel in the front seat because of the passenger airbag, so will have to travel in the back. Should be OK though - a pig dog should be able to tell the difference between a baby and a piglet shouldn't it ?

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Finally got around to dealing with with the door lock problem! All 4 press-button door locks were either missing, broken, or incorrectly fitted .

Now that I have a spare parts car, a few jobs are gradually getting done .

Once I understood about removing, heating and refitting the middle grippy bit just to the first stage, it only took a couple of goes on each door .

John's How-to really saved the day, however the link in post #10 no longer works. Hopefully this replacement link will work:

Xantia lock button

I have been a bit slack about car maintenance - completing this job, even though it was not very big, was satisfying and should encourage me to go on to bigger and better things - such as the boot lock on the wretched wagon!!

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information