08 C5 2.2 twin turbo need replacing?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 08 C5 2.2 twin turbo need replacing?

Hi wanting to see if any one else has had similar trouble and if they have a cheaper alternative to replacing the whole turbo at a cost of $10,000 just for parts. the car went into limp mode with the screen suggesting
    anti polution problem. the dealer cleaned out carbon build up around waste gate shaft after removing the turbo ( the 2 are in the one housing). He has now done this twice the first under warranty and now at our expense since we are out of warranty. He then tells me this is normal wear and tear and we will have to replace the turbos within the next 12 months. The car has done 125,000km. Any one have a cheaper alternative? or do we just sell which would be a shame as otherwise a great car.

Look forward to your responses thanks john

Advertisement

for $10k you'd be better off looking into aftermarket turbo's on a custom manifold.

Fellow Frogger

Look at the air mixer valve down the front of the engine on the intake piping. It has a controller box on it and oil can enter via the spindle seal, causing the sort of limp mode problem you have. It's certainly not an easy one to find unless the technician has seen it before. The valve is several hundred new. You could try cleaning the circuit, but it may recur. It may be something else of course, even excessive leakage of oil via the turbo, but you might eliminate the mixer and bad vacuum solenoids first.
    Last edited by David S; 11th August 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Not sure why you have been quoted $10000 for parts alone when a turbo direct from France is:

Turbocompresseur, suralimentation Turbo's Hoet : 1104719
    Référence constructeur (Numéro OEM)
    •BAUER PARTS :
    T914717
    •BU :
    •CITROEN/PEUGEOT :
    0375N4 - 0375N5 - 0375P1 - 9684337780 - 9686782580
    •GARRETT :
    769901-0003 - 769901-3 - 769901-5003S - 778088-0001 - 778088-1 - 778088-5001S •MOTAIR TURBOLADER :
    Caractéristiques :
    ▪ Type de chargement : Turbocompresseur à gaz d'échappement

1853,54 € TTC
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 11th August 2012 at 06:43 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

If you want to supply me with you VIN, I can price you the exact one you need.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

Have you made inquiries as to whether they can be overhauled by a turbo shop

I believe the progenitor is swirl valve actuation failure (as intimated by David S), not the turbo spontaneously carking.

We have similar symptoms on the 2003 hdi. The maf sensor after the air cleaner has a broken sensor wire.
    It is linked to the CPU and controls the air and fuel mix by heating these fine wires and measuring the air mass passing over the wires causing cooling of the wires and thereby changing their resistance. These signals dictate the fuel/air flow into the motor via the CPU. (according to my reading)
    It is an easy job to inspect this unit. Some websites show how to clean these units on various cars. A special spray on cleaner is used for the job.
    Anti pollution problem is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Hi wanting to see if any one else has had similar trouble and if they have a cheaper alternative to replacing the whole turbo at a cost of $10,000 just for parts. the car went into limp mode with the screen suggesting
    anti polution problem. the dealer cleaned out carbon build up around waste gate shaft after removing the turbo ( the 2 are in the one housing). He has now done this twice the first under warranty and now at our expense since we are out of warranty. He then tells me this is normal wear and tear and we will have to replace the turbos within the next 12 months. The car has done 125,000km. Any one have a cheaper alternative? or do we just sell which would be a shame as otherwise a great car.

Look forward to your responses thanks john
    The one I had did the same thing. Intermittantly, and after turning it off, waiting for a couple of minutes it went away OK again. Two dealers tried to find out why and couldn't. I reluctantly traded the car because of the problem which as you know can be a bit dangerous when you don't expect it in traffic at speed. Make sure you're getting the right advice before spending big bucks or selling, but where from I don't know.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Thread Information