Update to my 2009 C5 transmission problems...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 3 Post By RossB
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen

Thread: Update to my 2009 C5 transmission problems...

Default Update to my 2009 C5 transmission problems...

In an earlier thread regarding reliability/faults occurring in the 2nd generation C5 now that they had been on the road for a few years, I mentioned problems with mine, particularly with the auto selector getting stuck in park. To recap:to fix it the brake switch was replaced (which solved other random issues), then the brake switch was adjusted on several occasions, then the entire transmission was replaced - still no good, but now we had random high revving during up changes - then the selector with gate/solenoid was replaced. Last week we seem to have fixed it. It has not been caught in park for a couple of weeks now, and the random high revving between up changes is settling down quickly - solution? ...... earthing issues from battery and/or earthing issues from the body computer. At least I have a new trans at 40,000 km at no cost! Gotta look at the upsides.....

Advertisement

David

jmn

G'day there Pak.

I've had similar issues on my car.

First to play up was the brake switch. That led to all sorts of alerts showing up and the disabling of the cruise control. Fixed under warranty.

The transmission selector became reluctant to shift from Park like yours but again, the solenoid was fixed relatively easily also under warranty. These issues are unrelated and I'm surprised that it was thought that brake switch replacement would fix the selector.

Puzzling that they changed the gearbox. Big job, are you sure they actually did that? So far the Japanese made Aisin gearbox has given exemplary service across the large number of cars that it is fitted to (Pugs, Cits, Alfas and Volvos).

Happy motoring.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Hi Mark,
    yes, they certainly changed it for a new one which was sitting in stock in Sydney. If it isn't new then they did a really good job of cleaning it! The price of the trans ex Sydney was $10,800 - whole job around $15,000. Some questions were asked when the problem wasn't solved, but they did it on instruction from France (in writing). Luckily they were able to replace the faulty steering rack at the same time...........

David

JBN

Note to self. Do NOT contemplate replacing the Xantia (with ZF gearbox) with a C5.

John

UFO

Sadly not surprising that the so called dealer seemingly did not follow the factory issued instructions to change the brake circuit electrical loom piece under the dashboard to resolve the problem in the first place. The fault should not have been the switch but a too short inserted section for RHD cars that caused the problem of cruise control inactivity and park position locking. A very quick and simple fix. In fact Citroen Aus issued recall notice letters to all known owners.
    Motorgnome likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all

Being an owner of new 2012 C5, can I assume then that the switch issue (or loom?) has been resolved on the newer cars?

Also, is there an emergency release for the shift lever in the event of a power failure? Most japanese cars have this, but couldn't find reference to it in the owners manual.

cheers

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Hi all

Being an owner of new 2012 C5, can I assume then that the switch issue (or loom?) has been resolved on the newer cars?

Also, is there an emergency release for the shift lever in the event of a power failure? Most japanese cars have this, but couldn't find reference to it in the owners manual.

cheers
    I recall that there are instructions in the manual for both the gearlever unlocking and the brake release. However I am 11,000km away from my car at the moment.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

I've just bought a 2009 C5 X7. 167,000 k's on the clock. On the long (150km) drive home (in the rain) the transmission indicated a fault and stuck itself in D3. The cruise control also stopped working, but I guess that was because of the auto fault.
    I pulled over and then restarted it and pulled away fine but it would still go no higher than D3.
    I then stopped and switched off for about 5 mins. After this I restarted and had no problems for the rest of the drive.

I was told by the seller that this problem had occurred and that Continental Cars had replaced the fuse box to fix it.
    So now I am wondering - is my problem related to poor earthing or the too short cable for RHD cars?
    Can anyone give advice?

Did you get the full christmas tree lights display on the dashboard as well?

You car has gone into full limp home mode and been locked into 3rd gear for the duration. There will have been some fault codes stored during the event that would probably help someone in the know diagnose exactly why this happened. Certainly my C5 did this early in its life and changing the engine fusebox did sort the problem. I think various bits including the transmission ECU lose power and the rest of the system reacts by enabling limp home mode. Maybe the replacement fusebox is not 100% or there are some other power connector problems to some of the ECUs.

Hopefully it will not happen again. At least you have worked out how to get is back to full operation again.

Cheers, Ken

UFO

Mine had a hissy fit last year when a temp sensor on the outside of the gearbox failed. Symptoms sound like your car's. As I was already on my way to Sydney when it started to fail I was able to get it to Continental. They had it sorted by lunchtime the next day and it cost all of $400. Easy! Once they plug the car into the computers it is simple to diagnose and repair.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

And also , do not forget that the same symptoms, limp mode, service light on, and restarting appears to fix, only until next time, can also be brought on by a failing engine speed sensor. Diagnosed instantly and fixed for $198 by the Gold Coast dealer.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Tadpole

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I like the idea of the event bring stored in the computer. I'll book it in on Monday and see what they find.
    Thanks again.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just a word about stored codes in the computer. If there is a failure of a particular sensor or actuator then the code stored and also the circumstance of the failure, also stored in memory will give an instant answer and can be quickly corrected

However if the problem is a faulty electrical part like the fuse box or a wiring connector not making contact intermittently or something odd like that, the codes recorded may not directly point to the problem. Indeed there may be multiple codes shown which appear to be unrelated to anything sensible. This is when you need a good experienced workshop that can sort the problem without changing a heap of expensive parts that are actually OK, before they get to the root of the problem. Unfortunately a lot of our Citroen dealers do not seem to be in this category.
    Jaahn
    PS the same things apply to all modern cars of all brands.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by RossB View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. I like the idea of the event bring stored in the computer. I'll book it in on Monday and see what they find.
    Thanks again.

9759 1977
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Had another problem happen today. Or maybe another version of the same problem. I went briskly around a tightish sweeping left hand curve that was about 3/4 if a circle, at about 80km/h and suddenly got a ESP fault and SERVICE word appear and this time I was stuck in D4. Pulled over, waited 5 mins, happily on my way again.
    So I am thinking that there is something loose or losing contact somewhere.
    Hopefully I can pass this on and they will look beyond fault codes if they don't point to a definitive answer.

Tadpole

Continental decided it was the engine speed sensor. So that was replaced and all going so far. 😃

jaahn, Ken W and UFO like this.

UFO

Continental decided it was the engine speed sensor. So that was replaced and all going so far. 

You've gone to the best place in Sydney to get it sorted.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Continental decided it was the engine speed sensor. So that was replaced and all going so far. ��

I knew that! (post#11)
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 20th November 2018 at 08:35 AM.
    UFO likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Thread Information