Tyre rotation and pressure sensorss 2009 C5
  • Register
  • Help

Default Tyre rotation and pressure sensorss 2009 C5

I want to rotate my tyres front to back and wonder if the tyre pressure sensors auto compensate for position change or are they coded into the electronics? I know I can compensate by reading front as back and vica versa when there is a deflate or puncture but it will irritate me!

Regards,

David

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, but not immediately.

The vehicle needs to driven at speed, on a road with at least a few bends, usually for 5-10 minutes before the computer sorts itself out and cancels the warning message.

Ensure that you manually verify the tyres aren't really flat beforehand though!

I don't know the answer to that question. However why do you want to rotate the tires. I have found with all our Citroens it is better to leave them where they are and just replace fronts when necessary. You will have to replace the rears after 2 or 3 fronts but it helps with the cash-flow and the tires seem to like it.

I just rotated the tires on the CX to use up the last bit of use and I get squealing around corners that I never get with XM1 Michelin. I can only put it down to the tires currently on the front spent the last few years on the rear.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I don't know the answer to that question. However why do you want to rotate the tires. I have found with all our Citroens it is better to leave them where they are and just replace fronts when necessary. You will have to replace the rears after 2 or 3 fronts but it helps with the cash-flow and the tires seem to like it.

I just rotated the tires on the CX to use up the last bit of use and I get squealing around corners that I never get with XM1 Michelin. I can only put it down to the tires currently on the front spent the last few years on the rear.
    Greg, good thinking! I have a friend with a recent C5 who is very sure that there is now road noise from the rotated tyres that he never noticed before.

I am close to trading the car in and just noticed on the weekend that the fronts were down to about 50%. By rotating them they should all be still looking good when I trade/sell her. A different look at economics.....

David

Fellow Frogger!

I find that replacing only two tyres (by not rotating) makes no difference in cost over the long run, as the fronts need to be replaced more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    I find that replacing only two tyres (by not rotating) makes no difference in cost over the long run, as the fronts need to be replaced more frequently.
    Yes, plus you end up with two old tyres you can't get wear out quick enough.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Yes, plus you end up with two old tyres you can't get wear out quick enough.
    Thats a good excuse to put the two new tyres on the rear and burn out the two old front tyres with excessive corner speed and power.

For completely different reasons, my rears are on the 3rd set of fronts (those PS3 rears have been banned from the front end duties).

By the third set of fronts, the car has become quite dangerous in the wet with random moments of oversteer, usualy when i'm least expecting it.

Jo

I agree - but as has been pointed out, the costs will be the same.

Perhaps it stretches the costs out a bit but you are still going through just as many tyres.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

Hi-Tyres set up a bias -they get used to working in a certain range-so when you put the rears on the front the tyres have to work through a much greater angle & therefore have to stretch far beyond that which it is used to-thus the lack of flaxibility causes excess strain /wear etc.on the tyre.
    A bit like an atrophied muscle.

I would imagine an atrophied muscle would not taste the best either-very tough & chewy.

Pekay.

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    I would imagine an atrophied muscle would not taste the best either-very tough & chewy.
    It's round
    it's got a hole in it
    it's chewy
    it's chewy and gritty

I think I'll haver another one.

On a serious note, I'd be even more cautious about uneven tyre wear on "modern" Cit/Pug models with ABS and TPMS, etc. These things can have a habit of throwing up silly errors because of such previously trivial details.

All the more reason to move them front to back every 5 or 10k
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

jmn

I was converted to the non-rotation school on the advice of someone here and it works for me. The original backs are now looking at the third pair of fronts and seem good for almost 40k kms. whereas before I was replacing ALL tyres at around 15-20k kms. Very likely that I'd now be on or close to the third set of four going on previous wear patterns.

Ultimately you have to go with what works best for you and for me that also means giving Michelin the flick after a very long partnership. Just not worth the dough anymore.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Fellow Frogger!

Hi C5 owners

What has your experience been with the reliability of the pressure sensors? Is it possible to turn them off if need via proxia?

cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    All the more reason to move them front to back every 5 or 10k
    I think tyres should either be rotated at frequent intervals, or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jmn View Post
    I was converted to the non-rotation school on the advice of someone here and it works for me. The original backs are now looking at the third pair of fronts and seem good for almost 40k kms. whereas before I was replacing ALL tyres at around 15-20k kms. Very likely that I'd now be on or close to the third set of four going on previous wear patterns.
    So unless I read that incorrectly, that works out to be:

One pair of fronts and one pair of rears every 20k = 8 tyres every 40k
    - OR -
    Three pairs of fronts and one pair of rears every 40k = 8 tyres every 40k

Incidentally, that seems like a rather high wear rate...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    What has your experience been with the reliability of the pressure sensors? Is it possible to turn them off if need via proxia?
    I'm fairly certain the system can indeed be turned off using the diagnostic software.

As an aside, the tyre inflation pressure sensors are powered by a lithium battery, which is designed to last approx. 8-10 years.

jmn

Diesel_vert.

It means that at around 40,000 kms. I am still on the original back tyres but on the third pair of fronts.

The fronts have only just been replaced so I don't need to worry about them for a while so that's three pairs rather than four.

My series 1 C5 with a light 2 litre petrol engine went through all four tyres at almost the same rate as it wore out only the fronts when I ceased rotating every 5,000 kms. Barely 4,000 kms difference between replacing two or four tyres. Dunno about you but to me that's significant.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Mark.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

JBN

I only replace the fronts and don't bother to rotate. My (aggressive) driving style rounds the edges of the front tyres and they are usually dodgy for depth on the outer groove. I would never move rear to front unless absolutely neccesary. The front tyres save my life. The rear tyres save the exhaust (like, if you don't fit them, the exhaust wears out dragging along the ground).

If you are trying to move a car on and want the tyres to look their best, remove each tyre one at a time, spray the inside and outside PLUS the tread with tyre cleaner. Let dry, refit and do the next one.

Having nice black grooves on the tread makes them look better than they are. Driven on a concrete garage (which usually has a fine coating of cement dust), lightens the tread surface, increasing contrast with the groove making them look even better.

Remember, a buyer is looking for faults to drop the price. Having the tyres look smicko gets their eyes moving to other areas. After degreasing the engine bay, a squirt of WD40 or Armorglase (whatever is handy) on the black plastic areas and the rubber hoses has a similar effect. I also do an oil change prior to sale. There is always some blokes old man who comes along and withdraws the oil dipstick to check the oil. They are pleasantly surprised to see correct level and very clean colour. Indicates the car has been regularly serviced. Many people lose interest in servicing a car that is about to be sold, it shows and can lead to a reduced price being obtained.

John

Thread Information