DS Exhausts
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS Exhausts

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Exhausts

Hi All,
    The down pipe on my 67 ID19 needed replacing; the flange at the top was cracked and in general poor condition, so I had a spare manifold and down pipe from a later 2.3 car which I decided to fit. Not for the faint hearted it seems, the old manifold came off with no sheared bolts so that was good. I attached the twin manifold to the down pipe as I figured it would be easier then attaching in situ, but couldn't get it down between the chassis and starter motor. Took it all apart and got it fitted eventually with a lot of wrestling and grazed knuckles.D
    So a couple of questions:
    1) the flexi pipe is barely long enough to reach between the down pipe and centre box, so is it possible to adjust the position of the centre box and move it forward?
    2) does it make any difference or do any harm fitting a twin manifold to an ID engine?
    3) with the twin manifold it appears the air filter sits directly onto the exhaust, is this right or am I missing a bracket or rubber dampers?

Regards,

Advertisement

Ed

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Hi Ed

I don't think the twin manifold will do any harm to the small ID motor, just don't fit the one piece to a 23 motor, my friend did and it caused a weird knocking sound, which dissapeared when he changed back to the twin manifold. This was my experience, I can be wrong aswell.

You need a different air filter bracket, you are correct it fits onto the exhaust manifold
    Can't you just extend the flex with a suitable length pipe? your flex should give you enough flexibility to acommodate any movement even with the extended pipe

I don't have a pic of the bracket you need, but someone will

cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

1. A little juggling, it will all fit. If the flex pipe is the original length, then there is plenty to play with.

2.Absolutely no harm at all, it is a more efficient form of exhaust scavenge and will increase power, though not noticeably.

3. There is a bracket, rubber grommets and three large washers.

Hope this helps.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies, the "new" manifold came from a car that was scrapped years ago so the bracket etc should be in a box somewhere hopefully! I will check the parts manual to see what it looks like.

Regards,
    Ed

Thread Information