Xsara air bag light flashing!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xsara air bag light flashing!

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the air bag indicator light flashing on the dashboard. Its my elderly mums car - 2000 Xsara 1.6 Auto. Not sure where the most likely place to start is for rectification. I am led to believe the contact disc in the steering wheel could be the culprit.

Is there anything else to check or is this difficult, or dangerous, to dismantle and examine?

The fuel guage is also not working intermitently. The wire conection at the top of the tank are fine. Not sure if its likely to be a sender or dashboard issue?

Advertisement

More likely to be the underseat connectors. A Lexia will tell you where the problem lies.

Fellow Frogger

I think it will have a clockspring inside the switch unit behind the steering wheel (called a Comm unit) and that can give trouble. They eventually break. As addo suggests, there are other possible culprits such as connectors for the seat-belt pre-tensioners. As there are a number of parts in the airbag system, it's probably best to have someone read the fault codes that are causing the warning light to flash.

Thanks guys.

Will probably have to find someone with diagnostics to narrow it down I guess.......

1000+ Posts

My '99 Xantia wagon has had the underseat connectors soldered to solve this problem, but when I bought it the airbag light was flashing more of the time than it was not.

I opened the cover to the fuse panel and gave the panel a good whack. I also pulled out every fuse and sprayed the panel with silicon spray. The airbag light hasn't flashed since!

This technique has also 'solved' electrical problems in our '97 Xantia hatch!

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information