The SM appreciation thread
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: The SM appreciation thread

Default The SM appreciation thread

G'day all,
    I thought we could have a collection of images and thoughts on the SM. I will start off with a few images of my own. This was purchased earlier this year and has been a pleasure to have in my garage. It is the first old car I have had which is fully restored. Every other one has had a few things needing doing, usually paint work. This one was restored in the early naughties and has done few miles since and is still in lovely condition. Having owned DS's before which I am still very into, it is the SM that has always been a car to which I have aspired. I have always thought of it as the ultimate DS, and in almost every respect it is. The one area in which it is limited is interior space. It was easy to pile a bunch of mates or family members into the cavernous interior of the DS, but the SM is much tighter so consequently does not get the same amount of use as the DS. But one area it really excels is in the engine department. The V6 is a blast with a great sound, a turn of speed and a torquey long legged lope a DS can can never compete with.
    Anyway I have attached few images of my 1972 US spec 2.7, 5spd manual, beige metalic with tabac leather beauty.

just before I purchased

lovely tabac leather interior

engine bay

as seen in 2004

Advertisement
    Last edited by deesse; 4th August 2012 at 10:13 PM.

Default a few more SM's

A few other images I have collected

a really low milage example seen at the CCCV 2004 concours

interior

3 nice bums

cheers Tony

It's a beauty Tony, I also remember it from the 2004 Concourse, obviously you spied it too. Did your determination to own it one day begin way back then? Mary loves them too, so maybe when you're finished with it we can also buy another of your cast-offs.
    74/75 DS23 Pallas 5 Speed Carby

83 2CV Charleston and an 89 Dolly (in NZ)

80 GSA - ready to restore
    03 Peugeot 406 Hdi
    01 Renault Scenic

mnm

That is a diiivine colour on your car.. I like AC 525 Vert des Tropiques Métallisé. My other half says it's the same colour as gangrene though..

Matthew

mnm

Have you seen this table? it lists the sales percentages of each colour for the SM. I'd like to see these stats for the DS.

http://users.skynet.be/sky38711/allf..._sm_colors.htm

Feuille Doree peaked at 21%. Isn't that Golden Shower?

Matthew

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    That is a diiivine colour on your car.. I like AC 525 Vert des Tropiques Métallisé. My other half says it's the same colour as gangrene though..

Matthew
    Aha, taken at the last Frog-n'-Pizza show in Los Angeles. I intimately know that forest green D in the background.

I'm on the fence about the Tropical Green. I've seen other SMs in the flesh with that color, and I'm just not sure. Eh- it's a matter of taste. I can, however most assuredly tell your wife it is NOT the color of gangrene- of that, you can be sure
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 5th August 2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: stupid grammar
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

looks fantastic Deese!!!

nice to see a Beige SM ---there dosent seem to be many photos of this colour yet in 1973 20% of all SM were Beige.
    After years of owning a classy Black DS Pallas and loving it, Ive finally bitten the bullet ----Im buying an SM

I too have a Beige car ---a 1973 3 lt 5 speed. only 35,000 miles I understand Citroen only made about 1800 with 3 lt motor and only 600 of these were manuals

Currently being restored by the SM guru Mr Jerry Hathaway at SM world in California.
    due to be shipped in the next week ---cant wait to drive it.
    As soon as it arrives on these shores Ill post some photos for all to see.
    The DS is taking a cruise to Hong Kong as no one here was interested to buy it. Had to be sold as SWMBO ruled only one old car at any given time.

I must also take this opportunity to thank all those poor souls Ive badgered over this past 12 months trying to get every little bit of information I can about the mighty SM.
    So thanks to UFO and all those in Victoria who have given me advice.

cheers
    Colin

s

Ooooo, Colin, you did well. You get it from Jerry, it WILL be right. Is the car a US market one?
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 5th August 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: redundancy
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

The SM in the second post, shot at the 2004 Concours in Melbourne, is my car. It is a 1973 US-spec 3 litre auto which I imported from Florida in 2004. The body colour is Or de Simiane (metallic gold). At the time of the photos it was unregistered as I was still fighting my way through the $#@%&$ VASS process. When purchased the SM had travelled just under 10000 miles and we have put another 4000 miles on it to date. It was voted "Best in Show" at the 2011 CCOCA/CCCV Concours but it's no garage queen - I regularly use it to go to the supermarket.
    Deesse, is your car Beige Tholonet or Sable Metallise? I think I may have left drool on it if it is the car I recall.
    roger

Yes Hotrod ---the SM is a US delivered car.
    ive opted to keep it that way except for the side reflectors and the rear licence plate light.
    I believe it was a Seattle car that lived in Spokane for a while then moved to Boulder Colarado.
    Yes Jerry is the man ------however it is costing me more each day as he suggests replacing this and that as the project progresses. Im not too worried as I like good workmanship and of course nice cars.
    He says it is a beautifull lady ---and especially beautiful as it is finished in Beige Thonolet.
    Will post photos ---probably not untill mid October after it arrives.

Thanks for your kind words everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
    It's a beauty Tony, I also remember it from the 2004 Concourse, obviously you spied it too. Did your determination to own it one day begin way back then? Mary loves them too, so maybe when you're finished with it we can also buy another of your cast-offs.
    Hi Dave, back in 2004 when I first saw this SM they seemed way out of my league and subsequently I briefly toyed with the idea of SM co-ownership and even placed an add in the CCCV newsletter, but had no serious takers. So it was still a case of dreaming. I did however love the colour and the look of the lovely flanks unadorned with indicators and plastic strips which I think somewhat date the look of an SM. And of course when I am finished with it I will give you a call.

Hi Colin, you must be so excited having your SM custom restored by the grumpy guru. It will be great to drive with the 5spd and 3litre engine - the ultimate combo. I think my colour must be Sable Metalise as that is the colour listed for 1972. My car arrived in Australia painted Corvette yellow and was returned to the original by SM Australia who also claim to have altered the tinting slightly with a little red. I hope we can see you at the next concours at Como park in October.

Hi Roger, Glad to hear from you as the owner of the lovely gold SM in my photo. I still marvel over your car's amazingly fresh looking interior. Good to hear you are using it too. Hope to see you at the next concours or club drive (October I think).

I have added a couple more photos taken at the Williamstown Railway Workshops where I visited on the weekend and amazingly can wander about unchallenged by anyone. A few of my other interests - old industrial sites and trains.

cheers Tony
    Last edited by deesse; 6th August 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: forgot to sign off

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

SM's are one car I'll have to admire from afar ..... If I ever win tattslotto I'll have to offer lhs2 a big chunk of it on the promise if he ever sells his incredible SM, he lets me have first offer Like most cars that are in downright stunning condition, it will unlikely ever come onto the market though ................. and I still have to win tatts first

anyway I'm going to beat you guys to posting a piccie of the salt racer :

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If you really want to appreciate the SM, a trip to Jerry's personal garage will knock your socks off. He has several cars that are as close to brand new as any one could possibly be.

Tony, those are some really nice shots of your car. I especially like the one with the stacks of rail bed material.

Was your car done here, or at SM Australia? I understand they do some pretty sharp work, too.

Default all right

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    If you really want to appreciate the SM, a trip to Jerry's personal garage will knock your socks off. He has several cars that are as close to brand new as any one could possibly be.
    I would love to visit Jerry's personal garage and when next I am in the States I will. Last time I was there was 89 so I am due for a trip.

Hey Matthew, I think that turquoise blue colour looks pretty good on the SM even if it is a little like that multi coloured street car paint.

Shane, I love that SM duo and the metalic dark red colour looks fantastic on an SM. It would be my choice if I had to decide.

Hotrodelectric, my car was done by SM Australia in the early 2000's and still looks great. It has had the engine bay detailed and still cleans up beaut. It is the first car I have ever owned where cleaning the engine has some appeal. The others were either too deteriorated or cars I didn't care for that much. So I am pleased with SMA's work.
    The railway workshops are a heritage treasure here in Melbourne, and a great site for poking around old stuff. There are some dedicated enthusiasts restoring steam engines, railcars and carriages. Most cities have lost this part of their past now.

cheers Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Tony, those are some really nice shots of your car. I especially like the one with the stacks of rail bed material.

Was your car done here, or at SM Australia? I understand they do some pretty sharp work, too.

I CERTAINLY GOT PRICKED STILL BLEEDING
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Do you still have yours, ARCHRIVAL?

The SM's kissin' cousin: the Maserati Quattroporte II

^^ Note the DS clock and SM air-con vents!
    Houtan likes this.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Hooniverse did a piece on that Maserati...

http://hooniverse.com/2010/03/12/the...ouble-italian/
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Hooniverse did a piece on that Maserati...

http://hooniverse.com/2010/03/12/the...ouble-italian/
    That article reads as though the guy who wrote it was high on wacky weed!
    Cheers Gerry

Do you still have yours, ARCHRIVAL

I do and it is sitting in the shed waiting for my patients to return !!!
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bronze SM

Tony,

I love your car.

Just checking if it was the one in Unique Cars about a year or so ago, and a beautiful metallic brown DS with apricot interior. Was that there when you got the SM?

Magnificant pics and I love that industrial rustic one from rear of car.

Glad that it is great hands, and the interior is amazing too.

Chris Mortimer

Default The Earliest SM Prototypes

These are official factory early photos from when Citroen began to explore the possibility of the V6 Maserati.....

A little later on, '68 or '69 I think.

Floor shift manual too...

Yep, they're my photos, inasmuch as I own them. They're not nicked from anywhere.

Fellow Frogger!

One wonders why the original DS designers didn't turn the suspension units around like in this prototype... think of all the potential extra space it would have liberated and maybe have reduced the unbearable heat sink into the cabins...after all that is all really empty space in a DS...longer sphere life and engine mount life too away from the exhaust manifold's heat...maybe it was all to do with crush zones ???

Great proto-SM photos, Richo.

Interesting to see how the SM steering wheel and clutch pedal were some of the first ideas.

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The SM appreciation thread-email001.jpg  

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... Last

Thread Information