Xantia strangeness
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Xantia strangeness

I have a Xantia SX wagon (have owned it for a week). It is a Series II, in generally very good condition (thanks Harvey). There is plenty of fluid, but I haven't checked the condition of the filter (filter was cleaned when fluid was changed within the last 12 months).

Height correction works - if I sit in the boot the system "corrects" the height after 10 seconds or so.

However the rear does not rise properly if I shift suspension lever from "Normal" to "High" setting. Front rises up rapidly to maximum height, while rear is reluctant, only rising part-way. In fact to get the rear to maximum height I have to trick it. After moving lever to high, I wait for to the rear to rise as much as it can (ie very little), then sit in the boot. After 10+ sec, the rear rises back to where it was. I then get out of the boot, and the rear springs up to Max height and stays there.

Advertisement

Also the rear "anti-sink" doesn't work properly - rear will sink quite noticeably (5+ cm) overnight, while the front stays where it should.

Have driven several hundred km this week, and practiced "Citrobics" several times - doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Have just noticed another peculiarity. If I lower the car to lowest setting, let everything settle, then put height lever on "Normal", the rear rises rapidly, but the front doesn't budge. I have to put height on Maximum to get the front lifting. The rear, although rising to normal height quite rapidly, is still reluctant to rise to maximum.

So is there a problem, or is all this within bounds of "normal" for an SX wagon? My only test of "normal" is my Series I VSX...

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec,

I have a 1997 series 1.5 SX wagon too. It does have a lazy height corrector at the back as well. I think the anti-sink makes them lazy because they do such little work over the first 10 years of life. Have you checked the pressure in your rear anti-sink sphere?

Lubing the link to the height corrector might help a bit. It also sounds like you might have to check the height adjusting plates for alignment as a bit of distortion in the mounts can change the kludgy way they work to the extent that they might interfere with normal height operation.

So it sounds like you might need to spend some time checking out how it is actually working while on the hoist. They also really like to have their rear spheres nicley gassed up. Mine is a much nicer ride than my Activa at the moment.

Cheers,

Ken W

The break has 40mm diameter pistons in the rear struts, opposed to the 30mm ones in a sedan. While its clear benefit is more load capacity, I reckon it makes them harsher unladen.

Why we didn't get Hydractive wagons here, I have no clue. Gathering the bits to convert mine but the rear piping and brackets are not clear in how they're mounted, when one has nowt to compare with.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Why we didn't get Hydractive wagons here, I have no clue. Gathering the bits to convert mine but the rear piping and brackets are not clear in how they're mounted, when one has nowt to compare with.
    Cool - keep us updated please! I'm sure it's complicated, but best of luck.
    I too would love a manual VSX wagon, preferably with a 6sp conversion. I'm really happy with the ratios on mine, but an overdrive for quieter and more economical cruising would be great, as there's still enough grunt under 2500rpm most of the time.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hi Alec,

I have a 1997 series 1.5 SX wagon too. It does have a lazy height corrector at the back as well. I think the anti-sink makes them lazy because they do such little work over the first 10 years of life. Have you checked the pressure in your rear anti-sink sphere?

Lubing the link to the height corrector might help a bit. It also sounds like you might have to check the height adjusting plates for alignment as a bit of distortion in the mounts can change the kludgy way they work to the extent that they might interfere with normal height operation.

So it sounds like you might need to spend some time checking out how it is actually working while on the hoist. They also really like to have their rear spheres nicley gassed up. Mine is a much nicer ride than my Activa at the moment.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Thanks Ken - been doing non-car things for a couple of days .

Things seem a bit better - a bit more Citrobics and a 500 km trip (including some gravel roads and big potholes) seems to have improved the rear. Also I have adjusted the heights - the front had it's nose in the air, so I've dropped it a bit, and raised the rear a bit. Certainly looks better, but I think I've overshot a bit on rear.

Anyway, rear now rises to highest setting much better, although it's now reluctant to settle right down onto the stops. Rear Anti-sink seems to be doing it's job too. Front still wont rise from lowest to normal height - rear goes up, then pump amd regulator go all quiet - it's not even trying to raise the front. Moving lever to either if the "high" settings - even for a few seconds- seems to kick start it.

Re. spheres - all were regassed late 2006, only rear suspension spheres seem to have been checked since. So certainly this has to be on my list.

How does the anti-sink sphere work? I thought the anti-sink function worked by valves closing when engine stopped, which I presumed would be done electrically?

Re. lubing height corrector link - this is all external, so I could squirt it with silicon spray or some such without any dismantling? Might need professional help with those "plates"!

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information