Bx 16v head bolts
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Bx 16v head bolts

The bx dramas continue very expensive head job welding value reseating pressure testing etc .Then go to put head on following instructions and bolts are pulling out of block . Is this the end for this motor or is there a solution so far 3 bolts have pulled thru in final torquing process
    CAN WE RETAP AND USE 13MM BOLTS
    Or do I ditch the block .
    This is really giving me the shits as I could have just dumped a low km motor in and saved all this hassle and money
    I feel like doing a Shane and torching the bloody car

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Electrolysis has damaged the threads badly? I take it they're pulling out on the angular torquing. Some creative Helicoiling or Keenserts may be better than upsizing the bolts.

Just to check your reference: 60Nm torque, all bolts. Then slack off in turn, tighten to only 20Nm, then 300į? Wurth CU800 or similar on threads?

You need to helicoil the block. To do it properly and easily, pull the motor out if not already. You'll need M11x1.5 extra long helicoils. I can't recall whether they're 2 or 2.5. Buy ten and do the lot.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default thanks gentlemen

I was hoping that the motor didn't have to come out as I would put the other motor in then .This is costing more than the car is worth but whats new
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

If the block isn't corroded around the liner seats I wouldn't throw it away. Good blocks are hard to find. If repaired properly, fitted with new head bolts (lubed) and tensioned correctly, it will last another 400 000Km.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    The bx dramas continue very expensive head job welding value reseating pressure testing etc .Then go to put head on following instructions and bolts are pulling out of block . Is this the end for this motor or is there a solution so far 3 bolts have pulled thru in final torquing process
    This is really giving me the shits as I could have just dumped a low km motor in and saved all this hassle and money
    New bolts?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Archie,

Are you going to use the Peter T special thin head gasket so you get the proper compression and therefore much better low end torque etc?

Cheers,

Ken W

Ken the head has been dressed down a bit after welding so i think compression will be up a bit .
    I just want to get the head on on the car going at the moment we are using 12mm kleenserts and unibrako bolts have no idea of torque bettings maybe 50 pounds or less we will see

1000+ Posts

Sorry - must have missed something here - did you explain why you kept going after the first one stripped?

Glad you are winning now...

Cheers

Alec

Ken the head has been dressed down a bit after welding so i think compression will be up a bit .
    I just want to get the head on on the car going at the moment we are using 12mm kleenserts and unibrako bolts have no idea of torque bettings maybe 50 pounds or less we will see
    I think you would be pretty safe. I pull m12 404/504/505 head bolts down to 60lb/ft and have never had a problem. They are not TTY of course. I guess neither are cap screws.

The attached suggests you can use more, but you want the inserts to stay in head.

http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I think you would be pretty safe. I pull m12 404/504/505 head bolts down to 60lb/ft and have never had a problem. They are not TTY of course. I guess neither are cap screws.

The attached suggests you can use more, but you want the inserts to stay in head.

http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx
    I must be missing something.

Are you using the correct and new stretch bolts and torquing/untorquing/rotating to angular spec?

There have been other posts relating to stripping these female threads re-using old bolts or overtorquing with non-stretch bolts.

Just curious, as I might be there myself one day...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I must be missing something.

Are you using the correct and new stretch bolts and torquing/untorquing/rotating to angular spec?

There have been other posts relating to stripping these female threads re-using old bolts or overtorquing with non-stretch bolts.

Just curious, as I might be there myself one day...
    I was replying to post #4. From that post I believe the TTY bolts have been dispensed with and cap screws used and simply torqued. Inserts have been fitted to the block.

I was passing on my experience with Peugeot XN engines and stated torque settings I use.

Every XN engine I've ever built, I just clean the block threads with a tap. Lubricate the thread with never seize, fit the head bolt and washer with plenty of oil between the washer and bolt head and torque in three steps.

There was no intention to make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I was replying to post #4. From that post I believe the TTY bolts have been dispensed with and cap screws used and simply torqued. Inserts have been fitted to the block.

I was passing on my experience with Peugeot XN engines and stated torque settings I use.

Every XN engine I've ever built, I just clean the block threads with a tap. Lubricate the thread with never seize, fit the head bolt and washer with plenty of oil between the washer and bolt head and torque in three steps.

There was no intention to make recommendations.
    Hi - I didn't take it that way at all (as a recommendation, that is) but thanks as I think now I understand what you were getting at.

Non-stretchy but new bolts, torqued to the spec you've found works perfectly well?

Do you re-torque later out of interest?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Hi - I didn't take it that way at all (as a recommendation, that is) but thanks as I think now I understand what you were getting at.

Non-stretchy but new bolts, torqued to the spec you've found works perfectly well?

Do you re-torque later out of interest?
    With a copper composition gasket or if using hylomar I re-tension the head after 500km or so.

With monotorque type gaskets I don't bother.

I should say XN engines (except the very late FI) are non tty bolts anyway. All blocks are cast iron, so there is never a thread problem.

VIP Sponsor

What were the original bolts you used when they kept taking out threads?

We were using the original stretchy bolts new of course and the thread that was tearing out was a good 15mm and this was on the slack of and 150 degree final pull up . The inserts are the thick kleen serts 12mm there fore can not use original bolts and they are now not recessed as per the original but the meat they are in looks substantial enough and their outer thread is nice and coarse for a good grip .
    I did note after we started this proceedure that the cadillac northstar motors have the same problem and that they make a kit for these 11mm 1.5 pitch but too late she cryed. I just want the car going again and not added to the citroen to do pile of dead ones sitting in the workshop

How much were the Keenserts and new M12 cap screws?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Default cost

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    How much were the Keenserts and new M12 cap screws?
    Have not got the account yet but was quoted 750 to do the 10 with Helli coils ~250 i would guess biggest problem drilling out the rear holes and making up a new locator ferrule
    some skinned knuckles so far
    what torque do you think would suffice Peter?

Thread Information