Change of distributor for Citroen cars
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Change of distributor for Citroen cars

Hi all, noted in the press this week that Ateco will no longer distribute Citroen by year end. Distribution likely to transfer to Sime darby who distribute Peugeot in this country. I am concerned about what that means for my warranty on my new Cit which has 2 years left! By law, should the warranty responsibility transfer to the new distributor?

Advertisement

To the pug owners out there, what has your experience been with Warranty claims?

Cheers

The normal procedure in these cases is that the new distributor assumes the warranty on behalf of the manufacurer. Sime Darby are a large conglomerate, the model used in the novel " Taipan" and have resources and scale way beyond Ateco. It has to be a positive step in customer service and support.
    The transition probably explains the shortage of cars in the pipeline.
    My concern, expressed in another thread, is that it could make good sense to them and to the customer service if they merge the dealer networks. That being so, the poorer performing dealers will go and so it is prudent to get continuity of support by buying from a winning dealer.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

VIP Sponsor

Warranty will be unaffected by the change as the incoming distributor will have to ho our existing warranties.

However I am somewhat dubious about the future market potential for Citroen under Syme Darby, particularly in respect of the recent comments of the new General Manager, who announced that he is NOT interested in bringing in Diesel versions of Peugeot and instead will focus on the 'sportier ' models.
    Dare I be so bold as to say that his words are akin to those of an idiot, does he not realize that without the Diesel models Peugeot would have sunk to oblivion, in this market, back in the mid 1990's

That is a curious comment in view of the battle of words between PSA and the Government here in which the Diesel Hybrid is being presented as a trump card.
    For some idea of the scale of Sime Darby see their web site
    http://www.simedarby.com/
    Last edited by gerry freed; 27th July 2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    However I am somewhat dubious about the future market potential for Citroen under Syme Darby, particularly in respect of the recent comments of the new General Manager, who announced that he is NOT interested in bringing in Diesel versions of Peugeot and instead will focus on the 'sportier ' models.
    From what I have read, all he really said is that he wasn't interested in importing a diesel version of the (soon to be released in Australia) 208. From that, a few commentators have seemingly drawn a long bow (or created a catchy title) and declared that Peugeot have killed diesel engines.

It's a shame, but I don't think there is much of a market here for small, city cars like the 208 in diesel, especially when diesel prices and petrol prices are not favourable. The diesel 308 is probably a lot more popular than the petrol 1.6 version, however and makes good sense to keep importing.
    Last edited by SLC206; 30th July 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger

The diesels are really very good powerplants, but not always the best choice for everyone. I wouldn't put my mother into a diesel with a particle filter when the car is really only a shopping trolley. Petrol would be a better bet for that sort of use.

As to the change of importer. Sime Darby has significant resources and would be the logical importer for Citroen in Australia. It would be reasonable to expect the warranty to continue as is given that Pugs will have essentially the same terms. I think you'd need to wait until it's confirmed as to who will be the Citroen importer to know exactly how Citroen distribution might carry over. It seems unlikely, but the factory may even decide to set up here???

This has to be good news for Citroen owners and buyers.

Fellow Frogger!

Some Citroen dealers have only themselves to blame for the down fall of psa in australia, after owning several Citroens, Berlingo, C3, 2x hdi C4, and the great C5 hdi comfort. all due to sloppy service and playing the blame game, I had issues with the last C4, so called service managers who had no idea when carring out even a simple service, product knowledge, combined with a obnoxious attitude by both psa and dealer, It appeared that I complained some years ago in this forum regarding Engine Oil, the only correct oil available at the time was Mobil 1 ESP should only be used in the C4, Total was the recommended Oil as per the service book, from warped front disc roters, that warped because I had the audacity of driving my C4 on a very wet road, I am still trying to find a dry wet road, and this conversation was recorded, unbeknown to the service manager, lets try the Driver seat that was in self distruction mode, and the reason given as to why the said seat decided to fail was because I had a COMB in my rear trouser pocket that caused the problem, and was not covered under warrantee, that was untill I took off my head cap, I was bald only because I was being sorted out with a cancer treatment for over 12 months, I only had the C4 for a few months, Recorded. I could go on and on, to no avail. as for the dealer. NO THANKS and GOOD BYE.
    Tony.

Fellow Frogger!

That is indeed good news. I don't think Ateco have done a lot for Citroen in Australia. It would be great to see hydractive C5s in the lower trim levels back on the market.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    From what I have read, all he really said is that he wasn't interested in importing a diesel version of the (soon to be released in Australia) 208. From that, a few commentators have seemingly drawn a long bow (or created a catchy title) and declared that Peugeot have killed diesel engines.

It's a shame, but I don't think there is much of a market here for small, city cars like the 208 in diesel, especially when diesel prices and petrol prices are not favourable. The diesel 308 is probably a lot more popular than the petrol 1.6 version, however and makes good sense to keep importing.
    BUT..... The 4008 is now on sale in Australia... But ONLY in a petrol version. The 'powers that be' at Syme Darby have determined to only bring the petrol versions to Australia... Now, to me, that is both a sad and a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    BUT..... The 4008 is now on sale in Australia... But ONLY in a petrol version. The 'powers that be' at Syme Darby have determined to only bring the petrol versions to Australia... Now, to me, that is both a sad and a bad decision.
    The 4008 is a Misubishi ASX which comes in petrol only (Auto version). I've got one.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev414 View Post
    The 4008 is a Misubishi ASX which comes in petrol only (Auto version). I've got one.
    Not quite right - it's sold in Europe as a 1.8 diesel - but it only has a manual transmission in that format. I think Peugeot decided that no one in Australia is interested in a manual 4008, so no diesel here.

Whilst "enthusiasts" often prefer manuals, I think their market research got this one right. There's a very real chance of breaking a fingernail while changing gear in an SUV.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information