C5 hdi correct oil: 5W30 or 5W40 ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default C5 hdi correct oil: 5W30 or 5W40 ?

I bought 5 litres of TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS for the C5, which the sales rep tells me is the right oil for 2007 C5 HDI, but when I got home realized it is 5W30 and some of the literature claims it should be a 5W40 ! Anyone out there can advise?

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I bought 5 litres of TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS for the C5, which the sales rep tells me is the right oil for 2007 C5 HDI, but when I got home realized it is 5W30 and some of the literature claims it should be a 5W40 ! Anyone out there can advise?
    Personally I would use the 5W40 as it encompasses a broader range of viscosities and would there fore be more suitable for a wider range of engine climatic condition. I.e. it behaves like a 5 grade oil at low engine temperatures and a 40 grade at high engine temperatures.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Total Quartz Ineo ECS has always been a 5W-30 grade lubricant, not 5W-40.

It is indeed the recommended product for HDI engines with a particulate filter.

You may also use any lubricant that has been certified and approved by PSA. The relevant oil standard or specification for HDI engines with a DPF, is "B71 2290" (check the label on the bottle).

Failing that, any lubricant must at least meet "ACEA C2" (preferred) or "ACEA C3" (alternative) as a bare minimum.

Thanks Guys, so no negative effect on the turbo running 30 instead of 40?

It's a bloody pain ! Just took a look at the Haynes manual an they say:

petrol engine: 5w30
    diesel engine : 5w40.

and Citroen dealers service depatment answer: we use a PSA labelled oil so can't tell you what oil it is because I don't know myself as it comes in a PSA labelled package !!! That's a good answer.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Guys, so no negative effect on the turbo running 30 instead of 40?
    No, I wouldn't expect any issues using the recommended oil.

It's a bloody pain ! Just took a look at the Haynes manual an they say:

petrol engine: 5w30
    diesel engine : 5w40
    That is now an obsolete recommendation for HDi engines.

Also, the viscosity grade isn't so critical as it was in the old days. Lubricants that are formulated to pass modern OEM specifications derive their protection capabilities from high quality and superior combination of base stocks and additive packages, rather than through film strength.

OEM oil specs makes it simple for the consumer to choose the correct lubricant for their car - so all you have to do is check whether "PSA B71 2290 approved" is printed on the label. Easy.

Fellow Frogger

The lubrication guide did show 5W40 as one choice for the diesel engines a couple of years back, but 5W30 suits pretty much everything in this market since 2000 except a Xsara VTS from memory. So, the 5W30 suits the cars with a particle filter, but needs to be a low ash variety.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The lubrication guide did show 5W40 as one choice for the diesel engines a couple of years back, but 5W30 suits pretty much everything in this market since 2000 except a Xsara VTS from memory. So, the 5W30 suits the cars with a particle filter, but needs to be a low ash variety.
    IIRC, it was the 1st generation 2.2 HDi (4HX) that required a 5W-40 grade oil, so it was a while ago.

Back then, for all other HDi engines, one could've used a semi-synthetic 10W-40 or synthetic 5W-40 as well, in addition to a synthetic 5W-30. Though of course, not many cars were equipped with a DPF back then, nor was 5W-30 a common viscosity grade in Europe.

But manufacturers may revise lubricant recommendations as lubricant technology continues to evolve.

Fellow Frogger

There were usually a few choices for older models, even after the 4HX. When the EP6, DT17 and Euro V engines arrived, 5W30 was specified explicitly for them. For Citroen in our market, the 4HX was the first with a DPF/FAP.
    Last edited by David S; 3rd August 2012 at 11:40 PM.

I've been doing product searches for my 2007 C5 2.0 HDI 6 speed auto.
    Penrite's oil selector recommend this

ENVIRO+ DL1
    EPLUSDL1001, EPLUSDL1005, EPLUSDL1010, EPLUSDL1020, EPLUSDL1060, EPLUSDL1205
    A low-ash oil designed for use where ACEA C1/C2 or JASO DL-1 is specified in the ownerís handbook. Examples include Mazda diesel, Mitsubishi diesels and Citroen diesels fitted with DPFs. Also suitable for use in petrol engines that require this specification.
    Key Specifications: ACEA C1/C2, JASO DL-1 Registration Number D061POA001, Ford M2C-934B

Or this

or ENVIRO+ 5W-40
    EPLUS5W40001, EPLUS5W40005, EPLUS5W40010, EPLUS5W40020, EPLUS5W40060, EPLUS5W40205
    A wide viscosity range product for petrol and light duty diesel engines (with DPF). May be used where 5W-30 oils are required and where ACEA C2 or C3 is required. Ideal for a wide range of engines including BMW, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Holden and Mitsubishi. OEM Approved technology. Suitable for use where ACEA A3/B4 is reommended prior to MY 2011 (ACEA 2010).
    Key Specifications: API SN/CF, ACEA C3/A3/B4, MB-Approval 229.51, VW 502.00/505.00 Approved, VW 505.01, BMW LL-04 , Porsche A40 Approved, GM DEXOSô2

so I guess you can use 5W40 if you really want.

Castrol recommend this

CASTROL MAGNATEC PROFESSIONAL C2 5W-30
    Developed exclusively for Professional Workshops.
    Service Refill Capacity: 5.3* Litres.

but it may only be available in bulk quantities.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 456eec View Post
    so I guess you can use 5W40 if you really want.
    Yes you can, although you'll see an increase in engine oil temperatures, since a 5W-40 grade oil will be more viscous compared to a 5W-30 grade oil.

Default Total Oil Distributor

For those who are interested, here is the distributor list for Total oil in Oz.

http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/Aus...D?OpenDocument

J
    ust so happens that the North Qld one is only a couple of Ks from where I'm living. I'll go and see them next week. If they don't have Total QUARTZ INEO ECS in stock they should be able to order it.
    I'll post when I've been to give availability and price.

Fellow Frogger!

Does it have a DPF (or the cit equivalent?)
    If so looking at the SAPS levels, i'd be going for the DL-1 (almost 1/2 the levels of the 5W40 oil) the less crap you can put into a DPF the better.
    You really want LOW SAPS not MID SAPS.
    If no DPF then go for the 5W40.
    My worth.

I went to Nth Qld Independent Fuels in Mackay today. To my surprise they had the full range on the shelf. I bought 5 litres of Total Quarts Ineo ECS for $49.50, 1 litre for $11.50 and 1 litre of LDS for $18.50. This seemed quite cheap compared to what I'd read on this forum? They also had the other type of hydraulic fluid (LH something?) with the Citroen label on the shelf.

Thread Information