New C5 advice please!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default New C5 advice please!

Folks,

Advertisement

I am new to the site and forum, and have joined after being a Citroen and french vehicle admirer for some time. I am looking to finally get serious and take the plunge to purchase a current model c5, probably the Exclusive model in a 1.6 petrol version, as a sedan.

I am advised in Sydney today that the 2L diesels are not available at this minute, however due to price point the petrol model looks fine for our needs. I am no expert in the citroen power plant department however.

I have read the general specs and taken a test drive today (although it was a 2008 model as oddly nobody seems to have a current model at all to drive), and am advised that aside from no Bluetooth, all looks to be kitted out well.

Servicing is now apparently every 20,000 kilometers after having been changed back and forth, and as has been debated on this site previously I see.

Service costs are therefore said by the particular Sydney dealer to be generally okay for a euro.

Current pricing is I think reasonable, and in at least an up front comparison to other domestic and international vehicles in this general class.

Phew, so now to the point!

I would really appreciate your vast experience and advices on what I should be looking for and or aware of before committing. I understand that there will always be issues of falling value, resale, perhaps service and parts issues, however for those who have been here before or who are just in the know re this model, I would really like to hear from you before I ask the better half for my wallet back for a bit please.

Just on the issue of warranty, while the 3 year/100k applies, I am advised that an additional extended dealer warranty or with an insurer is available, although you can take this extra warranty out at any time before the original one expires. Would this be important to consider, seeing as out of warranty vehicle issues seem to occur?

Thanks and regards from this newbie,

DC

The distribution channel is changing and that could lead to a consolidation of the Pug and Cit dealer networks. I would advise purchase from one of the best of Sydney dealers, likely to survive the reshuffle.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hello David.
    I have an 18 month old C5. I previously owned a C5 for 7 years.
    They are great cars! My current one is a base model 2L hdi. Lovely motor.Currently running at 5.6L/100km. Most of my travel is country Kilometres. It came with Bluetooth, I said I didn't want this but now it is indispensable. MINE HAS HYDRO/PNEUMATIC suspension so I can't comment on the steel springing or the 1.6L motor. It is well put together and a very comfy long distance car. Service costs at the dealer so far $380 to $430. Around $250 at a none Citroen service centre after warrantee.
    No breakdowns in either car.(apart from when I put petrol in the diesel tank) (this didn't cause a major issue apart from a $600 clean out and filter change) The latest one does not allow you to do this. Good luck with your choice. Allan

UFO

My C5 ticked over 72,000km yesterday and today it will probably nudge 73,000 trouble free km. (Mrs UFO is on a one day trip to Cooma and back).

Fuel consumption and power in the 2l HDi is fine. I have not driven the 1.6 turbo petrol but people say it's OK. The lack of hydropneumatic suspension in some of the latest models is a set back for a Citroen purist, but if you have not experienced the best ride then you would not know the difference.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I would suggest that you look out for a diesel version. If it might cost more but at least it will have proper Citroen suspension and will reward you with great economy and a great engine to drive behind. My Dad has had two and he loves them.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Thank you all for the responses to date. It's very good to hear very positive stories of the C5.

If I don't purchase in Sydney, I may do so in Melbourne due to a move shortly. Does anyone know of a trusted dealer and repairer in Melbourne?

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I would suggest that you look out for a diesel version. If it might cost more but at least it will have proper Citroen suspension and will reward you with great economy and a great engine to drive behind. My Dad has had two and he loves them.
    Thanks Greg. My only concern is that current pricing means that you pay an extra $8,000 for diesel, and which is said to not be currently available.

The current offering also has something called a 'hydractive' suspension system and is apparently based upon the hydropnematic system. What this means I am not sure...

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David, I recently purchased a 2012 attraction in the petrol turbo. Nice car to drive, reasonable power and good torque. Economy is decent at at around 11 liters per 100 in pure stop start city running. Got mine at the $33,000 drive away deal. Thought it represented great value. To be honest, I would struggle with the value proposition of the exclusive model. The attraction has what I need. You are welcome to test drive mine if you want to get a feel. I am in Sydney.

Hydractive is hydropneumatic of the later variety. First debuted on the XM and then on Xantias hydractive cars have 3 spheres per axle, one at each wheel and the other as a stiffness regulator. Various sensors, throttle position and rate of change, steering position and rate of change, speed and suspension deflection inform the computer that let it decide when you are 'having a go'. It then cuts the stiffness regulator out of the hydraulic circuit and so increase the spring rate and the damping. There is a button inside labled sport that increases the system sensitivity to the imports so it drops into stiffer or 'sport' mode more easily. Early C5s didn't get it but they all have it now.

Hydractive cars ride very well. My daughter has a Xantia VSX it gives my CX Prestige a run for its money. I am pleased you are not tempted by the current price leader of C5s which has normal steel spring suspension. Citroen tragics like me wonder if this is the thin end of the wedge
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Hi David, I recently purchased a 2012 attraction in the petrol turbo. Nice car to drive, reasonable power and good torque. Economy is decent at at around 11 liters per 100 in pure stop start city running. Got mine at the $33,000 drive away deal. Thought it represented great value. To be honest, I would struggle with the value proposition of the exclusive model. The attraction has what I need. You are welcome to test drive mine if you want to get a feel. I am in Sydney.
    Thanks Kaza, very kind of you.

For what the exclusive model offers as compared to the same features in say another euro prestige vehicle, I was perhaps thinking it brought value along those lines, at the current reduced price.

Thanks for your honesty on the city mileage!

Can I ask you, was it hard to insure, and what is the general yearly cost for comprehensive?

Our 2.0l HDi C5 is just over twelve months old and has 22,000km on the clock. Drove just over 400km this afternoon with cruise control set on 103kph - fuel consumption on car display was 5.2l/100km

Even though it is the basic model it is great value for money. The suspension is what sets it apart. Rolls Royce thought that it was good enough for their cars and have a licencing agreement with Citroen to use it

I've driven an older RR and much prefer the Citroen!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Hydractive is hydropneumatic of the later variety. First debuted on the XM and then on Xantias hydractive cars have 3 spheres per axle, one at each wheel and the other as a stiffness regulator. Various sensors, throttle position and rate of change, steering position and rate of change, speed and suspension deflection inform the computer that let it decide when you are 'having a go'. It then cuts the stiffness regulator out of the hydraulic circuit and so increase the spring rate and the damping. There is a button inside labled sport that increases the system sensitivity to the imports so it drops into stiffer or 'sport' mode more easily. Early C5s didn't get it but they all have it now.

Hydractive cars ride very well. My daughter has a Xantia VSX it gives my CX Prestige a run for its money. I am pleased you are not tempted by the current price leader of C5s which has normal steel spring suspension. Citroen tragics like me wonder if this is the thin end of the wedge
    Thanks for the insightful comments Greg. Indeed, as you say, the spring suspension sounds to be a departure from the Citroen norm.

Fellow Frogger

The steel sprung versions are less expensive to make and potentially easier/cheaper to maintain. They fill a void in the Citroen lineup for those wanting a larger car but not the hydraulics. The 1.6 turbo petrol version only arrived here last year at the same time as the steel sprung version of the 2.0 HDi. These models offer good value and don't miss out on a lot of equipment found in the more expensive models. HID headlamps are worth having though. If you drove a 2008 model, it would have been a 2.0HDi with hydraulic suspension and the Euro IV (EU emission rules) engine. Current models have a Euro V Hdi engine that has improved performance. You could ask about an Ateco demo too as they often have modest km's and cut a bit off the price.

Dealer warranties survive only as long as the dealer. Pity those with an extra cost extended warranty from Damelian or Nepean Motors. Aftermarket warranties may or may not be useful, depending on the terms.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The steel sprung versions are less expensive to make and potentially easier/cheaper to maintain. They fill a void in the Citroen lineup for those wanting a larger car but not the hydraulics. The 1.6 turbo petrol version only arrived here last year at the same time as the steel sprung version of the 2.0 HDi. These models offer good value and don't miss out on a lot of equipment found in the more expensive models. HID headlamps are worth having though. If you drove a 2008 model, it would have been a 2.0HDi with hydraulic suspension and the Euro IV (EU emission rules) engine. Current models have a Euro V Hdi engine that has improved performance. You could ask about an Ateco demo too as they often have modest km's and cut a bit off the price.

Dealer warranties survive only as long as the dealer. Pity those with an extra cost extended warranty from Damelian or Nepean Motors. Aftermarket warranties may or may not be useful, depending on the terms.
    Thanks David. Do you know which Melbourne dealers are good and are likely to remain after the ATCO withdrawal?

Fellow Frogger

I have no experience with Melbourne dealers, so can't recommend any from personal experience. I'd suggest you ask the Sydney dealer about it, let them know what you are planning to do with the move and see what they can come up with for you.

After I read that there were no C5s around I did a search on carsales.com.au
    Maybe the dealers haven't updated the site but there seem to be a few new ones available.

Did you ask the dealer to check other dealers for stock?

When I bought mine I didn't want to pay for metallic paint so the dealer offered to get one in from the east - waiting time 7-10 days.

If you find one in another state ask your dealer of choice to request it. Could get you a car. I did that once when told by a dealer that he had no stock another dealer I been to (but not one I cared to deal with) did so I let my preferred dealer know and he did the rest!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Fellow Frogger!

Hi David, insurance was fairly easy. Insured with Shannon's at$1200 or so a year. Not the cheapest option but ok. I find the 1.6 has good economy. 11 or so in pure city stop start with short trips. It is closer to 6 per 100 on the highway. They are a nice car to drive period. Very solid, nice ride even on the steel springs. I do find the steering feel artificial however. Performance with the 1.6 turbo is entirely adequate (coming out of a 3.5 maxima, we surprisingly don't feel that shortchanged in the power stakes).

Tadpole

Folks,

Just a quick update to confirm our purchase of said C 5 Exclusive in Sydney recently. Only hiccup was upon reading the purchase invoice sent by dealer to finance, that I discovered buried in the fine print that the vehicle later located by dealer was a 2011 built model. Upon investigation by us, dealer resolved by having ATCO apparently contribute a refund of sorts which I await to receive. It was the principle of transparency which we felt important. A new car buyer usually looks for exactly that. In any event, all was resolved luckily for us.

I am soon to drive the vehicle interstate and look forward to good reports! Thanks for everyone's help....

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats Davidjc.

Was it the 1.6 Litre Petrol Turbo? What colour is it?

First impressions?

cheers

Fellow Frogger

The month and year of construction is normally marked on the manufacturer's plate or sticker and can be quite a bit earlier than what is shown on the compliance plate. That happens quite a lot with imported cars because the cars are held in bond until needed for sale. The difference between build and compliance date can vary a lot, but obviously needs to account for the boat trip out here to begin with and then how long it might have sat in bond. It doesn't indicate there is any problem with a car, merely that it arrived as part of a batch that was sold over a period of months (or sometimes years!).

You really want to look at both dates when buying any imported car, new or used, so you know what you are getting. Also, remember that while our car industry has an insane fixation with calendar years and compliance dates, the European model year starts in the preceding September. So, the 2013 model year begins next month. Your C5 is presumably a 2012 model although built in late 2011.

Tadpole

Thanks David. Yes, built 2011 but current model, until next month! Compliance plate is of course 2012.

Tadpole

Hi David, congrats on the purchase. I got my exclusive wagon in feb this year. Just love the ride! It's our first French car and we love it. It's the euro 5 diesel, the fuel economy is awesome. Our only hassle was that we brought the exclusive and it had no usb connectivity or bluetooth (base model does) as it stated in writing on their website, and the dealer also told us it had. To say Ateco is difficult to deal with is an understatement, very happy to be dealing with a new importer from the end of the year. Anyway they agreed to retrofit both for us at their expense, only after asking to have it in writing to state there original position that they would not. Anyway 10K kms later still like new (looks around computer for wooden object to touch) I received an email fom my dealer Zagame Brighton, they are now Jeep and dropping Citroen, I understand the local Pug is picking it up. Selling through Pug can only be good for the brand, as Citroen is still so under stated here in Oz. Because of this the car gets lots of looks, most people have no idea what it is, but everyone I chat too who ask me about it loves how stylish it is. Extended warranty is available but it costs alot of $ was quoted 1500 at time of purchase, maybe new importer will be more reasonable. I recently had the car serviced at Kings cars in Geelong, very happy with the service and price, reassured when I asked them what oil they use, told me only Total as anything else voids your warranty. Very refreshing to hear as every other mechanic just said oh castrol will do. Thats probably my only long term concern about the car, lots of great French mechanics around but they do the old stuff, more modern Cits are just hard to find somone who is knowledgable and won't pretend they know what their doing, using the word pneumatic suspension scares most of them off.
    Don't worry after a few months of ownership you will look at the other euro wagons and wonder why they paid so much for so little, then look at the Holden Sportswagons and wonder if they even cared to look at an alternative, the car is simply brilliant and I am so glad we got it, safe driving

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Guillaume,

I second most of what you say. My 5 month old Attraction 1.6 Turbo is great to drive and looks like nothing else on the road. I must say though, dissappointed by a couple of mnor things - get some creaking nose from the drivers door over certain bumpy roads. Also, the chrome trim on the door window surronds seem to be developing little black spots/Tarnishining already.

DavidJC, did you end up getting the petrol or diesel Exclusive?

cheers

Kaza1. Re the creaking door. Had a problem with my new Golf in 2000. (before I was converted) It went to the dealers several times during warrantee. They put something on the door rubbers and the creak went away for a while. After their efforts were not curing the problem, I had a good look at the offending door myself. I opened the door wide and pulled up on the edge of the door. The door moved on the hinges! The door bolts were loose. I purchased socket and tightened the hinges. problem fixed. Allan.

I am interested in new buyers opinions of C5's. I often wonder if my objectivity has been clouded by having driven C5's and no other cars in 10 years. Your comments and first impressions and comparisons of competitors cars in the same price range would be welcome. I believe that as a comfortable economical cruiser it has few peers in its price range.
    Allan

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information