DS not rising at the front !
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default DS not rising at the front !

Hi folks my DS is not rising at the front
    when I start it the back rises as normal but the front stays down ? The only way I can get it to rise is by putting the height control lever to its top setting and when the front comes up I then put the lever back to normal height. Any suggestions as to what is going wrong ?

Advertisement

Cheers

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Darren- a sticky height corrector would be the first guess. Steve (Citroenfan) can explain this far better than I'm able.

The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

Pull the front left guard off and check that the linkage operates smoothly. They can rust or dry out, so lubricate it as a first step. It's common for debris to accumulate inside the height corrector and then block the bleed hole between the two sides. You really need to remove it to clean it properly, which is not hard, but you'd ant some new pipe seals and probably a kit for the corrector on hand. The parts are not expensive.

Also check that the rollbar can't move side to side. If it does, then the locating clamps may have come loose or more likely the nylon bushes are worn out. If it's moved to the left, it could be pushing on the corrector piston enough to make it appear 'sticky'.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenhendley View Post
    Hi folks my DS is not rising at the front
    when I start it the back rises as normal but the front stays down ? The only way I can get it to rise is by putting the height control lever to its top setting and when the front comes up I then put the lever back to normal height. Any suggestions as to what is going wrong ?

Cheers
    Hi Darren,

The most likely culprit is a sticky linkage. Seldom will one find a sticky or frozen slide valve in the HC itself, unless you are dealing with a old LHS car that has been sitting for a long time. Removing and cleaning an HC will typically resolve the problem - but only because the unit was removed and then put back into the car - not because you took the HC apart. The damping passage way has no effect on the actual selection of height - only the time the system takes to respond to changes in height. Most all of the problems I see with cars not coming up to heigh or maintaining the proper height is due to mechanical problems with the control linkage/the connection with the control arm from the roll bar or a combination of the two.

You need to understand that there is only around 2 to 3mm of total movement of the HC slide valve from the fully open position (pressure going to the suspension spheres) to the exhaust position. When the car is in its normal operating height it only require a fraction of a mm of movement for the HC to either supply pressure to the suspension or let it exhaust.

If you do want to remove the HC from the car - do place a very accurate witness mark on the HC body and front suspension casting. This will allow you to put the HC back in the exact same position where is was prior to removal. There is sufficient 'wiggle' room with the mounting bolts to get it out of position which can cause some interesting suspension reactions.

Steve

Tadpole

Great thanks for all the help I will tackle the task this weekend !

Cheers

and while you are there, check the wear on the nylon bushes on which the anti roll bar sits and that the clamp of the lever at the centre is actually tightly done up.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information