DS tyres and inner tubes
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS tyres and inner tubes

Hello, time to fit four tyres that are all the same! Looking at Hankooks at the moment. Question, is it vital to fit inner tubes? Can inner tubes be fitted to tubeless tyres? Why does the DS need inner tubes?

Advertisement

I think its got to do with the wheel rim and the tyre. I have fitted tubes and tubeless to my DS in the past. I dont think its a huge issue for casual road driving. *might be wrong*.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, time to fit four tyres that are all the same! Looking at Hankooks at the moment. Question, is it vital to fit inner tubes? Can inner tubes be fitted to tubeless tyres? Why does the DS need inner tubes?
    The 5 lug Cit, "J" style, rims work just fine with "tubeless" tires - some 300,000+ miles and no problems what so ever. And they work just a treat with quite 'spirited' driving also. The only thing they were/are lacking is a special safety 'groove' in the rim that is 'suppose' to prevent the tire from coming off the rim if run for any distance with little pressure in them (5-10psi). OTOH have had a couple over the years at high speed with nary a problem.

If you decide to get tubeless tires - do not install tubes. Tires made for tube use have an extremely smooth
    interior wall. Tubless tires do not - lots of moulding marks/flashing/and a quite rough surface. None of this is good for the inner tube.

Steve

Wasn't all this covered in the thread about Longstone selling tyres with free shipping?

Two camps both utterly convinced as to the correctness of their reply, yet in complete disagreement.

I would have though the gentle ribbing inside a tubeless tyre, would make life for the tube more exciting. Rubber and frottage combined.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Wasn't all this covered in the thread about Longstone selling tyres with free shipping?

Two camps both utterly convinced as to the correctness of their reply, yet in complete disagreement.

I would have though the gentle ribbing inside a tubeless tyre, would make life for the tube more exciting. Rubber and frottage combined.
    Absolutely correct - and I'm from the camp that reckons if the tyre is marked "tubeless" then don't fit a tube ... for the very reason you've cited.
    As to the safety groove/hump - while I'd be happier to have one as a feature of the wheels, I also agree with Steve's view.
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

JBN

I agree that tubless tyres are meant to be run without tubes.

In extreme conditions (eg RAID), unsafe and illegal practices like patching a cut in a sidewall and installing a tube to get you out of the bush and into civilisation is acceptable.

People rabbit on about the safety groove, but seriously, how many people put on a new tubeless tyre on a less than round alloy rim? Many, including me.

The tyre fitters automatically spin all rims if I am replacing all tyres and tell me that the squarest are on the rear. If all the rims are less than round, they put the ones that balance best (least weights?) on the front. I only worry about spending zillions in money and time if they seriously need straightening or are leaking air at an annoying rate.

I have never had a tyre come off the rim, but I have demolished an alloy rim which resulted in an instant loss of air and required a replacement rim (I think I kept the tyre and had it fitted on the replacement).

John

Hello, apologies for going over old ground, I've only had my DS for 4 months. Can you give me the link to that thread? Thanks

No need to apologise at all....the main thing is that you get the information you need to do the job (s) that need to be done.

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, apologies for going over old ground, I've only had my DS for 4 months. Can you give me the link to that thread? Thanks
    Here's the link. Lots to read, opinions to consider.........a fund of DS tyre knowledge. I bought my DS a few months ago, too. Took up the Longstone offer after reading and received all the tyres over a few days in country NSW in a little over a week, no probs.

Cheap Classic Michelin Tyres

AF is a great resource.

Tadpole

Hello Aussie frogs, from Longstone Tyres

Bad news I'm afraid. for some time now we have been offering you what we thought was an incredible deal, which i am pleased to say a lot of you have taken advantage of. However only today my account manager from our carrier comapany has been to see me because they have just noticed what an enormous loss they have been making on our Astralian shipping. I offered him a shoulder to cry on. but no matter how sympathetic i was to his cause i could not stop him from multiplying my shipping costs to Australia.

My negotiations have meant that we can keep our offer going for the next couple of days then we will have to start to charge. so if you are thinking of buying some tyres i suggest doing it in the next couple of days. we will be putting out price up at Lunch time 28th March 2013. (UK time).

Our prices are being put up very dramatically so in the near future i think we will be comparably expensive. however we will be looking into another solution and when we come up with one i will be back in touch to let you know.

In the mean time thank you for your business. we will be back if we can.

Regards

Dougal (Longstone Tyres

Bloody pleased I bought mine when the freight was free. Thanks to Longstone Tyres, good efficient, friendly folk. Great while it lasted.

I can't imagine there would be any stock of the tyres in Australia and I hate to think how much Michelin dealers would be having to ask for them now.

A call to Jeff Hastie at Stuckey Tyre Service in Brunswick, Melbourne ( 03 9386 5331 ) revealed a not totally unexpected shock, price wise.
    Only the XVS is available here in Australia. Currently, they retail at $477 each. Doubtless Jeff would look after any customer, he has done so for me over a number of years.

mmmmmm, Thanks Dougal. This is what I was worried about. If guess many people are ordering right this moment.

Question: If I buy tyre now and keep them for 10 years under the house( dark cool area) , will they stay brand new? No degrading?

Short answer to question.
    NO.

They will still be new, but they will have hardened considerably, and would be considered unsafe.
    Lots of stories of people driving around on Michelins and having the tyres blow out, BUT they don't say the age of the tyre, which has proven to be past their considered safe "use by date".

How old are the tyres on your car now, caparobertsan?

Fellow Frogger

You can normally tell the age of the tyres from the markings after the DOT marker on the sidewall. A quick way with the XVS seems to be to look at the country of manufacture section. Older tyres will probably be be made in France or England. Some of XVS tyres I acquired from Longstone last year were marked as made in Serbia and something like 4811 followed the DOT marker, meaning 48th week 2011. If it's a 3 digit marker or has a small triangle before the numbers, then it's pre-2000. Some tyres also have symbols for the factory that made them. That's my limited understanding anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Short answer to question.
    NO.

They will still be new, but they will have hardened considerably, and would be considered unsafe.
    Lots of stories of people driving around on Michelins and having the tyres blow out, BUT they don't say the age of the tyre, which has proven to be past their considered safe "use by date".

How old are the tyres on your car now, caparobertsan?
    I am not sure I will have a look tonite but I assume at least 10 years old. I remember they are made in France!
    But Michelins are tyres are superior quality than others?
    They also sell other ones but don`t like the pattern.
    But even tyre blows, My car should keep going without any problem, right? Just like the move "Jackal"?
    Last edited by caparobertsan; 27th March 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Rubber is rubber and all tyres degrade similarly. Perhaps Michelin degrade in a superior way

Tadpole

Hi

we presntly have a big glitch in our shipping costs. We are lookinginto a better solution than we are going to end up with with our present carrier. i hope to be able to have a better solution that the one we will be offering after tomorrow. but we are looking into that.

The next solution i could possibly look into would be how many tyres you would need to buy for Longstone tyres to be able to send a ciontainer full. and there is the posibility of arranging things with Stuckey tyres. i have dealt with them a bit, he is a sound chap to deal with.

Yes age of tyres is critical. i think the only failures i see with Michelin tyres are age related. people driving on 30 year old tyres that still look fine.

Fitting anything other than Michelin on a Citroen DS is a mistake driven by economy. remember Asymetric tyres were invented because the Citroen DS neaded them, and does not handle as well at cruisiong speeds as Citroen wanted it to.

Dougal

It's a shame about the shipping. However, there are many of us here at AF who have bought from Longstone and will be happy for some years to come. Takes a while to wear out tyres when a car is on jack stands ;-) My "daily driver" is also on Michelin.

The market here I feel has probably for the most part been fulfilled with Michelin for D series cars. The generous arrangement Longstone provided gave many of us the opportunity to purchase what was otherwise unaffordable.

The lack of GST being payable on orders of less than $1000 and being able to order only a couple of tyres at a time made the Longstone Tyres offer very, very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Hi

we presntly have a big glitch in our shipping costs. We are lookinginto a better solution than we are going to end up with with our present carrier. i hope to be able to have a better solution that the one we will be offering after tomorrow. but we are looking into that.

The next solution i could possibly look into would be how many tyres you would need to buy for Longstone tyres to be able to send a ciontainer full. and there is the posibility of arranging things with Stuckey tyres. i have dealt with them a bit, he is a sound chap to deal with.

Yes age of tyres is critical. i think the only failures i see with Michelin tyres are age related. people driving on 30 year old tyres that still look fine.

Fitting anything other than Michelin on a Citroen DS is a mistake driven by economy. remember Asymetric tyres were invented because the Citroen DS neaded them, and does not handle as well at cruisiong speeds as Citroen wanted it to.

Dougal

Thread Information