1.6 petrol c4 al4 trans questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default 1.6 petrol c4 al4 trans questions

i've read stories about this gearbox on a couple of french car forums, and i'm not sure if my car has issues, or just showing characteristics common to the trans.

when cold it is quite severe/unrefined on the first 2 or 3, light throttle 1-2 changes.

the light throttle 2(unlocked) to 2(locked) is fine(when cold), but it seems to go straight to 3(locked) too soon, with a loss of power(because it's a bit too low in the rev range)

are these just quirks of the trans? when luke warm, or hot, the 1-2 shifts are a lot better. still a bit abrupt, but i'd think reasoanble. the 2- 2.5 -3 change is still a bit too 'gappish' for my liking, but seems like it's performing smoothly and strongly.

the last thing which only happens if i drive a particular way, is is the car seems to go into neutral(once stopped) from a prolonged braking period(downhill to a complete stop with fair pedal pressure/braking force) and when i press the accellerator to move off again, the car free revs(neutral?) for an instant before kicking into 1st- while there is already throttle applied, causing quite a jolt if the % is high enough.

Advertisement

again, is this a fault, or just the computer being tricked and too slow to react? i've repeated the test about 5 times tonight, and it seems to stay in 'neutral' until the accel pedal is touched. under most stop-start driving it doesnt do it. just under conditions where the pressure on the brake pedal is higher than usual and the final stop is rather abrupt. no where near abs or panic braking though.

thanks for reading this, and any answers you can give me.

1000+ Posts

Default auto quirks !

Hi,
    I do not have the same car but my C5 transmission works better than that. In fact usually pretty smooth and no "gaps" as you experience. The change timing is OK and can be modified by the button.
    It sounds like it has problems. Perhaps check the electrical connections as a low cost start. Then change the oil as recommended by everyone but the manufacturer.
    Good luck.
    Jaahn

It could be simple as a low oil level. Does it "wham" into second when pedalled gently from a dead cold start?

addo, yes it does. cold shifts at low throttle % is the main issue.

I'd first start with either a drop and replenish, or plain old topping up of the oil. It actually takes a bit of driving to get the thing warmed through at 60 degrees celsius. Do your best to make certain your car is level when adjusting the oil volume.

i'm going to do the change toda, if i can work out how to remove the lower plug and top fill plugs. they are a square drive. an 8mm socket is a bit too big. nothing i can find at the auto stores fits.

any thoughts on the neutral to 1st issue i sometimes get when re-launching from heavyish braking to standstill( as in 60kph-0-accel again)

A door lock shaft is 8 mm square.
    Bunnings sells them separately.

2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

thanks clogz. i gave up today, but will venture to bunnings soon to do the job. accessability for this car is better so far than my c5. its just having the right tools.

First thing is an oil change. I have a set of sockets with the 8mm square I got from the local parts place. If you can get it out with the 'tool' from Bunnings so much the better as it will be a lot cheaper.

Here is a thread that shows exactly what needs to be done.
    AL4 oil change question - "not again!!!!"

Let us know what condition the oil is when you get it out. My advice is if the oil shows no hint of its original straw colour give it another oil change in a week
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

There is a thumpy change condition that some AL4's get because they've taken some water in via the breather. The fix is a couple of hot fluid changes. It's a possibility, but there are other things that can go wrong with it that you need the diagnostic tools to check.

will venture to Bunnings soon
    With better access than on the C5, you may be able to properly grab the lock shaft to remove the plug.
    I got the nut welded onto the shaft at taxpayers’ expense by a teacher at a part-time welding school.

When looking into the filler opening, you will see a sort of maze that’s supposed to sit in the oil.
    If so, there’s enough oil.
    Otherwise, top up or change until it sits in the oil.
    Last edited by Clogzz; 24th July 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Thread Information