What features can you do without?
  • Register
  • Help

Default What features can you do without?

Don't know if this has been asked before, probably. Doesn't have to be just about Citroens but I thought appropriate to post here considering the feature of coil spring suspension to be a bit of a compromise to many who lurk here! Note that list of features I would like is probably just as long.

Here's a few that I consider unnecessary:

Air- conditioning (yeah even in a CX!)
    Conventional suspension
    Firm seats
    Feeling of connection to the road surface
    A steering wheel that tells me where to go
    Indicator switch in 'appropriate' spot that cancels out by itself
    Rear window wiper
    Grey plastic interior features
    The ability to start the car and immediately drive away
    A jack for changing a wheel
    A heater (in a CX)

Advertisement

power windows
    central locking

mnm

Electric windows
    Sat nav
    auto wipers
    auto lights
    trip computer
    electric seat adjustment
    abs brakes
    airbags

or anything else that removes responsibility from the driver...

Matthew

JBN

All I need (and get in a 2CV) is:

A compliant suspension suitable for badly maintained Aussie roads
    A steering wheel that I use to TELL the car where it is to go
    Good brakes
    Comfortable seats (CX best, BX second, Xantia third). The 2CV seats are the most versatile (only back and forward movement, seats easily and quickly removed for picnics or for large loads)
    Indicators
    A jack (handle for same which can also crank the car and remove the front mudguards on a 2CV plus an 11mm and 13mm ring spanner for the rest of the car)

Optional extras:
    Airconditioning (never worked for long on 2 CXs, 2 BXs or the Xantia)
    Central locking because Citroen barrels bugger up and are expensive to replace
    Single windscreen wiper (CX, BX) front and rear windscreen wiper, operated in all cases by the driver
    Automatic gearbox for CX or BX as there is not enough room for 3 pedals

Superfluous distractions
    Satnav (if you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there)
    Automatic lights (if you can't distinguish between night and day, take public transport)
    Automatic wipers (if you can't work out that it is raining, driving will be beyond your comprehension skills)
    Sunroof - why have a hole in the top of the car to let in water? If you want a melanoma and exercise, walk around without a hat.
    A wagging "willy" on the back parcel shelf to piss off the 4WD sitting on your tail

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Superfluous distractions
    Automatic lights (if you can't distinguish between night and day, take public transport)
    Automatic wipers (if you can't work out that it is raining, driving will be beyond your comprehension skills)
    Sunroof - why have a hole in the top of the car to let in water? If you want a melanoma and exercise, walk around without a hat.
    A wagging "willy" on the back parcel shelf to piss off the 4WD sitting on your tail
    John
    Ha! Totally agree and thanks for the laugh! One could be labelled as a bit crazy for thinking an old frenchie is better than anything created since......but perhaps better is not the right word but more entertaining. When driving becomes just another activity to add to the days' meaningless routines then what is the point?
    Maybe it started when motoring journalists started complaining about indicators that don't self cancel....and then how some car hasn't enough cupholders or stowage bins for all the stuff you need when driving!!
    For me the biggest distraction would be some good piece of music while driving but then again sometimes the only music you need is the engine. If people payed attention to the act of driving instead of being caught up in some automated wonderland maybe they wouldn't need all this stuff??

Having said that I would seem to be a hypocrite as I'm currently driving a Xsara but it is the best motivation for getting my oldies back on the road yet! The only things that win me over are fuel economy (6L/100km) and cornering ability, and I can leave it in the rain without having to listen to the new rust forming (it doesn't seem to rust) and concentrate on finishing my degree sometime soon!

I could happily live without:

- auto activated headlights
    - auto activated wipers
    - seat warmers
    - climate control
    - leather seats
    - rear door blinds
    - alloy wheels
    - trip computer
    - luggage bay dividers
    - delay-off headlights
    - central locking, remote or otherwise
    - deadlocks
    - 'mood lighting'

I've never had to use the benefits of a stability programme even though walking in a straight line is a challenge much of the time....but I'd not be without that or ABS or the 8 or 9 airbags that the Superb has....

Bird shit magnet

Quote Originally Posted by ntr1972 View Post
    bird shit magnet
    lol....

4wd
    Oversized exhaust pipe
    Two exhaust pipes
    Fog lights that are used when not foggy
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Where I live 4wd is something I should really have...the driveway to my shed is 4x4 access only for half the year...

I quite like power windows but most of my cars haven't had them.

Power mirrors are great. I use mirrors a LOT and it is so annoying when someone has moved the passenger one and I like being able to set them up just so...

Central locking is cool but not essential.

Stuff I don't need...
    Auto headlights
    Auto wipers
    Sunroof!!!! (damn things are more trouble than they're worth!!)
    ABS ( only had one car with it and it only worked half the time...)

Lots of other stuff is not needed but still nice to have
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

radio
    flat tyres

Anything that is not standard on a 3.8 MK II Jaguar.

Who needs A/C when you have 1/4 Windows.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post

Superfluous distractions

John
    Last night we were coming back from Melbourne to Camperdown via Inverleigh, Beeac, Coragulac in order to dodge the freeway construction currently in progress between Waurn Ponds and Winchelsea.
    Dark ----obviously and foggy ----- a 60 KPH max peasouper around the Western District lakes. I recognised the turn I needed to make, or so I thought, and ended up so far out of our way almost on the shores of Lake Corrangamite at Wool Wool. Being confident I pressed on thinking that I would soon arrive at a familiar spot. That would probably have worked if I could actually see where I was going. But no, it was hopeless. Thank heavens we had Gertie in the glove box to rescue us. I punched in the home address and let her take over. Had I not we could have been driving around until daylight trying to find our way.
    Please do not ever tell me a Sat Nav is not a useful piece of equipment, because I just will not believe you!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Anything that is not standard on a 3.8 MK II Jaguar.

Who needs A/C when you have 1/4 Windows.
    If I had a 3.8 Mk2, which I still think are great cars, I'd have, in Perth in summer, one of the following:

no passengers,
    an expensive divorce as well as no passengers or
    airconditioning in it.

Quarter panes, in Perth in summer, are great for deflecting hot air at you and your passenger (if she hasn't already started the divorce).

Seriously, most stuff like auto-wipers, auto-lights, heated seats, motorised memorising seats etc I can do without. I do like AC, central locking and electric mirrors but can do without things like ridiculously low profile tyres, rough suspension (why did people forget "ride quality"?) and poor visibility out of the car.

There are probably some things I don't want that I don't even know to put on this list as I don't know they are available!

Better to ask "what is the minimum you WOULD like" I reckon. Safe, comfortable, cool/warm and good visibility sums it up for me - AC, electric mirrors and good ride and handling all fit in there. I suspect I do want airbags as they do seem to work well for disastrous accidents.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Last night we were coming back from Melbourne to Camperdown via Inverleigh, Beeac, Coragulac in order to dodge the freeway construction currently in progress between Waurn Ponds and Winchelsea.
    Dark ----obviously and foggy ----- a 60 KPH max peasouper around the Western District lakes. I recognised the turn I needed to make, or so I thought, and ended up so far out of our way almost on the shores of Lake Corrangamite at Wool Wool. Being confident I pressed on thinking that I would soon arrive at a familiar spot. That would probably have worked if I could actually see where I was going. But no, it was hopeless. Thank heavens we had Gertie in the glove box to rescue us. I punched in the home address and let her take over. Had I not we could have been driving around until daylight trying to find our way.
    Please do not ever tell me a Sat Nav is not a useful piece of equipment, because I just will not believe you!
    Cheers Gerry
    Agreed. Madelein gets us home.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Cheers Gerry

G'day,
    so long as you didn't drive into the lake, like so many apparently do for tv shows...
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

I could probably live without my testicles. They've got me into more binds than any car I've piloted.

SMM

Auto windscreen wipers
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II, C4 Cactus

Previous Citroens: 2007 C4 VTR, 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I could probably live without my testicles. They've got me into more binds than any car I've piloted.
    I have a set of these you can borrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What features can you do without?-emasculator.jpg  
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Thread Information