another Heidelberg ID
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default another Heidelberg ID

After that wonderful All French Day in QLD, I'm back in Central Victoria with another Heidelberg ID. It looks to be a 1963 model. It's a long way to trailer Citroens but I think I can make something of this one. The rear doors and the bootlid are "buggered" and the plastic vents etc are broken beyond repair BUT the car goes! The hydraulics are good and the engine performs well. With alot of searching,I should have all the parts that I shall need.
    I've decided to make the 1960 French ID a parts car. The feedback from this forum suggests that the investment needed to put this "rusty relic" back on the road just isn't worth the big commitment that is necessary. In days gone by, enthusiasts had the time and knowhow to do the job themselves.
    The 1960 Heidelberg ID is definitely restorable. On unpacking "the goodies" from QLD, I'm selecting the clean undamaged doors and allocating these to the differant cars.
    I still have the rustbucket '63 Safari with a good engine. It has some good doors and the parts necessary to fix the dash in the QLD car.
    We found a few bits that Roger Brundle needs for his old DS and found some "brain" bits for the early embassy DS that Lance Collins has in his place at DS Motors. Any support we can give Lance, is a motivation for him to get this early DS running again.
    Lance was a great help with the sorting out of LHM and LHS spheres and the regassing of these. His partner, John Walton was on holidays so not much work was being done on the late Citroens. We enjoyed talking about "real Citroens" and he kept on gassing spheres. John will be back now, and the bussiness will be making money again!
    My '23 5speed will be "floating" again and I'll try to find the space to get "stuck in". Michael

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Just thought I'd put the photo on as Michael is even less capable than I am on computers - - and that's saying something.

Looking at us on the pic it's no wonder that people write us off as a pair of loony old codgers having no time for the latest "computer cars".

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another Heidelberg ID-aaaa-july-10-053.jpg  
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 20th July 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: loony old codgers

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nice! So we'll have another 'ID on the roads again soon That's a hell of a huge trailer to fit a 'D' on and still have space left over for spare wheels like that. Did you really tow that all the way from QLD

The biggest problem is of course, how on earth do you get the trailer back to QLD now

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Even the Dog has gone off the task. "I'll bury my head until it's gone."

I have a lot of respect for John and Michael - they dig 'em up, get them going and have an immeasurable admiration for the single-headlight D which is personal favourite. Well done!
    Last edited by donat; 21st July 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Grammatical edit if you must know!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Donat. These cars are irresistable! I took the trailer up to bring back a 2A little Landrover. I loaded the ID on instead. Yeah, what do you do? Michael

Tadpole

Michael
    It is good to see this car in goods hands
    Chris

Fellow Frogger!

Default Funny thing about the dog.

A neighbor was walking the dog and having a chat while Janet took the photo.

I'm not a religious man but sometimes one wonders whether there are things going - - - on.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another Heidelberg ID-aaaa-july-10-057.jpg  

Someone at a CCCQ outing once told my dad, "Citroens are like a religion."

My dad soon after sold his CX and never bought a Citroen again.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Good to hear you got this beauty back without too much trouble Michael. It was great to meet you, a very friendly chap you are with a huge passion for these outstanding machines. Please inform us on your progress!

Don't worry John not all of us "youngins'" are into the computerised machines on wheels! I prefer simplicity with that realness that something could go wrong but the knowledge that I can probably fix it on the side of the road with a very small set of tools and spares. Having said that I won't say what I'm driving now but will say that out of the 15 cars I've owned in the last few years, only two of them have been non-Citroens and only 3 have had fuel injection. Go the oldies!

Cheers, Andy

A few more photos from the Grand Display in Brisbane:

P1020175resized by tyro.chris, on Flickr

P1020174resized by tyro.chris, on Flickr

P1020172resized by tyro.chris, on Flickr

P1020171resized by tyro.chris, on Flickr

We'd all love to see this thread updated as the car's restoration progresses!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    After that wonderful All French Day in QLD, I'm back in Central Victoria with another Heidelberg ID. It looks to be a 1963 model. It's a long way to trailer Citroens but I think I can make something of this one. The rear doors and the bootlid are "buggered" and the plastic vents etc are broken beyond repair BUT the car goes! The hydraulics are good and the engine performs well. With alot of searching,I should have all the parts that I shall need.
    I've decided to make the 1960 French ID a parts car. The feedback from this forum suggests that the investment needed to put this "rusty relic" back on the road just isn't worth the big commitment that is necessary. In days gone by, enthusiasts had the time and knowhow to do the job themselves.
    The 1960 Heidelberg ID is definitely restorable. On unpacking "the goodies" from QLD, I'm selecting the clean undamaged doors and allocating these to the differant cars.
    I still have the rustbucket '63 Safari with a good engine. It has some good doors and the parts necessary to fix the dash in the QLD car.
    We found a few bits that Roger Brundle needs for his old DS and found some "brain" bits for the early embassy DS that Lance Collins has in his place at DS Motors. Any support we can give Lance, is a motivation for him to get this early DS running again.
    Lance was a great help with the sorting out of LHM and LHS spheres and the regassing of these. His partner, John Walton was on holidays so not much work was being done on the late Citroens. We enjoyed talking about "real Citroens" and he kept on gassing spheres. John will be back now, and the bussiness will be making money again!
    My '23 5speed will be "floating" again and I'll try to find the space to get "stuck in". Michael
    Hello, Micheal how are you? ANOTHER ID!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
    You mentioned you will use 1960 French ID as parts car. Do you think I could buy some parts off you again?
    My car is ready to assemble now. Now I am thinking about interior and more detailing. I now plastic vent and steering cover is cracked. and Panel on the dash is missing.

Front/rear suspension cylinders need attention also in near future.....

Let me know if that is possible.

Thanks

Fellow Frogger!

Default It's all about design.

Just pointing out to the young ones that might not realize that the mirror is upside down on the interior photo.

This is important as 60's design is light ( and easy ) and the wider part is at the top.

The later mirrors were the other way around.

It's all about design, John.

I think this picture of these 2 gents and their graceful ID sums it all up! Even the dog is over the moon...

Cheers,

long, long time fellow ID'er

Fellow Frogger!

Yes Frog, It might interest a few "froggies" on the progress of the ID. When Helmut asked how to put photos on this sight, I noted the suggestions on how it was done. I've taken some photos on the digital camera so I'll give it a go.
    Hi Caparobertsan. Yes, there will be parts available now. Since returning from Brisbane, I've been "filing" all the ID parts. The plastic dash parts that came with the "Brisbane" ID, is a plastic bag of broken bits. I hope I have enough dash parts to complete both the Heidelberg "paddock" car and my new acquisition. I'll see what's left over. I don't imagine that anybody is reproducing these dash parts anywhere in the world.
    I have planned another hoist, probably a 2post one, so I can get to the parts easier and the shed is getting to breaking point. I really want to get the parts car up in the air but can't figure out a way of doing that without purchasing a hoist. Any suggestions? Michael

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I have planned another hoist, probably a 2post one, so I can get to the parts easier and the shed is getting to breaking point. I really want to get the parts car up in the air but can't figure out a way of doing that without purchasing a hoist. Any suggestions? Michael
    How High? If you wish to get under on a creeper then a trolley jack and four solid car stands will lift it high enough. This is all that I did for working on the CX and that is way more complex underneath than a D. i was able to remove the chassis without any trouble at all using this method.
    Cheers Gerry
    I can't imagine spending the cash on a two poster.

Default ID dash parts

Parts are being remanufactured all the time and, given time, even some of those elusive ID dash parts. I understand that Andre Citroen in Amsterdam sells that black horizontal dash part which covers the gear shift mechanism, albeit it's for a LHD... It just a matter of economics if the (dutch?) moulding manufacturer is prepared to make RHD parts. The plastic airvents are virtually undistructible (LHD/RHD are inter-changeable); I believe they're made of nylon. With a good scrubbing, they'll come up like new. The black speedo casing is probably the weakest part and tends to crack/split along the top with ripe old age: LHD and RHD speedo casings are however subtly different. I have tried a LHD, but had to revert to the broken original RHD (strong glue with black plastic paint did wonders...)

Cheers,

Bernard

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bernardrubingh View Post
    Parts are being remanufactured all the time and, given time, even some of those elusive ID dash parts. I understand that Andre Citroen in Amsterdam sells that black horizontal dash part which covers the gear shift mechanism, albeit it's for a LHD... It just a matter of economics if the (dutch?) moulding manufacturer is prepared to make RHD parts. The plastic airvents are virtually undistructible (LHD/RHD are inter-changeable); I believe they're made of nylon. With a good scrubbing, they'll come up like new. The black speedo casing is probably the weakest part and tends to crack/split along the top with ripe old age: LHD and RHD speedo casings are however subtly different. I have tried a LHD, but had to revert to the broken original RHD (strong glue with black plastic paint did wonders...)

Cheers,

Bernard
    The plastic dash vents in ID's indestructible Gee's, don't sneeze near them, never adjust the vents, certainly don't ever try removing or installing them.................. There made of ice and will shatter if you even stare at them too hard

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: If you can afford a hoist, try a 4poster will belly lift An "open" car trailer will also allow safe access to a lot of the "underneath" of the car!
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 23rd July 2012 at 12:45 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Well, they're both missing on this ID, so I guess someone would have had a terrible cold?
    Still a lovely car, even without the vents. I have a spare pair (never been sneezed on, just the occasional glances...) but shipping would probably be prohibitive expensive.

Cheers,

Bernard

Well, they're both missing on this ID, so I guess someone would have had a terrible cold?
    Still a lovely car, even without the vents. I have a spare pair (never been sneezed on, just the occasional glances...) but shipping would probably be prohibitive expensive.

Cheers,

Bernard
    Its the Aussie sun that fries French plastic out here Bernard. Much higher levels of UV. In England these parts are probably in a much better state than the ones here.
    Cheers Gerry

Icon3

Cheers,

Bernard
    Bernard,
    I think Shane is alluding to the fact that many plastic parts in Aus have been severely affected by our climate. They can literally crumble when disturbed, or at best crack and craze. You can probably still access decent replacements even after some 60 years over there.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I'm afraid Shane is right. Years ago when adjusting the plastic vents ( in a hurry ) I let the sprung knob go and it broke a vent. After that if I had them apart I would take some tension out of the spring by heating a little and stretching the spring.

John.

Heavens, I am amazed to hear this, but not surprising if left out in all that sun. So I guess that the same goes for the old perspex Safari rear windows when breathed upon? We replaced ours many years ago for a heated glass one in order to combat terrible condensation in winter. Not that the heating elements are very effective; we have now less condensation.

Cheers,

Bernard

Heavens, I am amazed to hear this, but not surprising if left out in all that sun. So I guess that the same goes for the old perspex Safari rear windows when breathed upon? We replaced ours many years ago for a heated glass one in order to combat terrible condensation in winter. Not that the heating elements are very effective; we have now less condensation.

Cheers,

Bernard
    The other items that suffer badly are D, GS, and CX cloth upholstery, BX dash tops and CX door trims. Also Slough leather in Tractions, even if it is Connelly Hide.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Is this the sort of thing you mean? Never been sneezed at in fact new old stock. I did have them on ebay for £10 each but no takers, as Bernard says in the uk they are indestructable. I checked the shipping price and for one it would be about £13 and for both about 25 if anybody is interested.
    cheers
    Helmut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another Heidelberg ID-p1010004.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information