DS "accessory" position and wiring
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS "accessory" position and wiring

I solved a mystery today. Well, half solved.

At the French Car Day I noticed another DS had a bezel around the ignition key reading "Off, Accessory, On, Start", mine only as a chrome bezel. I have had this '73 Ds23 Manual for two years and did not know about the accessory position. Actually I suspected there was but found no mention of it in driver's handbook or wiring diagrams.

It explains some strange behaviour as the ignition coil was connected to a power source live in Acc and On. This wire is part of the main loom near the coil. I now have the coil connected to another wire I was using to power the electric radiator fan as it is live only in "on" position.

What was the "Acc" feed intended for in the engine compartment? Was the fan connected to "Acc"?

Advertisement

So, now I would like to connect the radio to "Acc". The trouble is I have found the "Acc" lead at the multi-plug coming from ignition switch but can not see where it goes from there. It is black with a blue sleeve. Does anyone know where I should connect the radio?

I do not like the wiring of this car. It is in reasonable condition but this mix of multi plugs, spade connectors and bullet connectors is bizarre.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post

At the French Car Day I noticed another DS had a bezel around the ignition key reading "Off, Accessory, On, Start", mine only as a chrome bezel. I have had this '73 Ds23 Manual for two years and did not know about the accessory position. Actually I suspected there was but found no mention of it in driver's handbook or wiring diagrams.

It explains some strange behaviour as the ignition coil was connected to a power source live in Acc and On. This wire is part of the main loom near the coil. I now have the coil connected to another wire I was using to power the electric radiator fan as it is live only in "on" position.

What was the "Acc" feed intended for in the engine compartment? Was the fan connected to "Acc"?

So, now I would like to connect the radio to "Acc". The trouble is I have found the "Acc" lead at the multi-plug coming from ignition switch but can not see where it goes from there. It is black with a blue sleeve. Does anyone know where I should connect the radio?

I do not like the wiring of this car. It is in reasonable condition but this mix of multi plugs, spade connectors and bullet connectors is bizarre.
    There's no "stop point" in the ignition switch, even if there is a set of contacts in the switch to allow an accessory position, so I can't see how this would work If it's for your radio, just hide an "on/off" switch someone and use that

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hmmm
    I have o say that i have never had a radio in my D's connected to the ignition switch, sorry not much help.
    I have attached the feed directly from the accessories terminal on the firewall/bulkhead behind the ashtray consol. (3rd nose D)
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

UFO

I attached the switched feed on my Sony to the switched live feed for the wipers. The constant feed for memory is attached to an always live wire. I have no need for radio/cd when the car is stopped.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Michael,

If the switch has the ACC connetor, it was always used for the radio in the old D's I had.

If was so you could have the radio on without burning out your points or the coil.

It would also power the cigarette lighter in those days as it was still considered Ok to smoke back then, so you could sit back enjoy the music while you light up.

Cheers
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Had a 1974 D Special 4Sp (by now reborn as a Toaster)

Hi Michael

This is Hotroelectric on Daffy Duck's computer...

The ignition switch you noticed is not factory, but aftermarket. No D had a marked ignition switch, never mind an accessory position. You could, if you wanted it, make a "flopping" relay to give you accessory feed for things like a radio, but Techbuy brought up a good point- you must be aware of eventually burning your points ( or causing damage to the module on some electronic ignitions) if you leave the ignition on for extended periods of time without running.

Hmmm, well mine has an Accessory position. It is true there is no détente in the rotation to clearly identify the position but the black/blue wire is live at about 20 degs from the Lock position then live again in the Run position.

I occasionally sit in the car waiting for a passenger and that is a great time to sit and relax with ABC Radio National on. Maybe UFO's passengers are more punctual, or he is running late . I spliced my radio feed into this black/blue wire and problem solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions from around the world!
    Michael

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I don't have a radio, satisfy myself listening to tinnitus and the other voices which speak to me from time to time....
    ahh, the joy and détente of life.

An accessory position would've been a good thing.

richo

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    I don't have a radio, satisfy myself listening to tinnitus and the other voices which speak to me from time to time....
    ahh, the joy and détente of life.

An accessory position would've been a good thing.

richo
    I guess a radio was sort of essential for me as I inherited a rather mutilated dash board. Someone had previously fitted a radio using one of those can openers that leave a jagged edge

You also mentioned in another thread a digital clock in another DS. You may enjoy the one I inherited.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS "accessory" position and wiring-dashboard_800x119.jpg  
    Michael

My Safari dash had been cut out with the same can opener or maybe tin snips. Mega fugly.
    When converting to BVH, the dash had to be changed.
    No radio hole.

cheers
    richo

I have a replacement dash panel in good unmolested condition but it needs re-finishing, so for now the hacked one will have to do. It did not clean up to badly though the butcher had not only hacked a radio slot but also enlarged the clock position.

As you will see I got rid of the strange fader in the auxiliary panel and rationalised the switchgear a little. I have modified a spare interior light switch to build a hazard light system with a bit of red tape as a temporary identifier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS "accessory" position and wiring-dash-radio.jpg   DS "accessory" position and wiring-clock-cut-out.jpg  
    Michael

Icon12

I have a replacement dash panel in good unmolested condition but it needs re-finishing, so for now the hacked one will have to do. It did not clean up to badly though the butcher had not only hacked a radio slot but also enlarged the clock position.

As you will see I got rid of the strange fader in the auxiliary panel and rationalised the switchgear a little. I have modified a spare interior light switch to build a hazard light system with a bit of red tape as a temporary identifier.
    That's a transformation Michael, shows pride in your ride

I'm in pretty much the same situation, who was that cretin with the tin-snips he certainly got around
    Mine is not as bad as yours, at least it approximates a single DIN hole which for the most part is covered by the Headunit surround., but the cretin slipped and put a gouge in the dash and a poor attempt at hiding.

So, dash will come out for re-finishing, I'll do the glovebox lid and centre radio console at the same time so it all matches as I doubt I'll get a true original finish.

With regard to music in the car, I couldn't do without my fix of Emma Ayres ABC 106.1 (Brisbane) on my morning drive to work

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information