How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)

Hi all,

Advertisement

Wondering if anyone has retouched the "chrome" paint that is applied on some parts - on our GS, notably a strip around the front grill. Our '75 wagon currently has a later grill on it. We have sourced a replacement (from the Terang car being wrecked) but the chrome has worn well away (as shown below).

It looks like it "circled" the two halves on the raised rim of the grill, judging by what is left. The chevrons could also do with a touch up, they are weathered and dull. They do seem to be part of the mold, not different parts glued on.

I was thinking of masking around the strips needing repaint and going to a model shop (model aircraft etc) to get some "chrome" paint. The plastic is quite weathered so the paint should stick alright, not having any experience in this are there any tips or pitfalls that would be helpful?

Please see photo below. P6080505.JPG

Regards,
    Leconte

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-p6080505.jpg  

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Best way I have found is to get a chrome marker -similar to an artline pen- from a craft shop, that will give you nice finish.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

It was probably an aluminised paint to begin with. New plastic film technology suggests if your could gets slips of the "wrap" stuff used to create a chrome effect, it would come out better than new.

This is the effect I got on the dash using the pen. Keeping in mind the chrome lines were all gone before I repainted to them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-14july2012-005.jpg  

"Alclad" available in Model Shops for finishing plastic Aircraft and Auto Models. There is one available for reproducing Chrome as well as a variety of other metal look finishes. Hence the name "Alclad" for Aluminium
    Cheers Gerry

I have masked and sprayed many things on past cars mainly windscreen keepers in older Valiants and Falcons and it worked quite well. After a couple of washes, no-one could tell it was a recent spray job. The later touch up pens that others have mentioned sound like a good idea also.

As mentioned the special film at model shops....
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Chrome pinstripe... simple and easy... plus its cheap. Available at most automotive parts shops.

dino

another option:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5m-VINYL-...item3a65704f00

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the suggestions. Given the curves on the right angles, I don't think the stick on pinstripes would work. The pen That Harrison-citroen used on the dash looks like it produced a very good result, so may give that a go to start with.
    Cheers, leconte

Ps happy Bastille day! Von Bock GS wagon has had a very big day out here, attending the start of the victorian Veteran Car Club winter rally, then afternoon tea and finally the flicks at Westgarth cinema. Trust everyone tried to get out on the road today.

Hate to burst either owner's bubble but that's a GSA grille!

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Donat,

What is it with the GS grills? Did someone assemble them from the spare parts bin? Or were they prone to front end bingles and people just repaired them with whatever caemto hand?
    I have been trying to find definitive contemporary photos of the front of our car, a GS wagon manufactured on 6/74 and first registered we believe in early 1975. Photos are either poor or not accrately dated.
    Persnally I prefer the "honeycomb" one that I think is the original one . Our car came with one with strong horizontal tacked on chrome plastic highlights and a chromed surround that I think is clearly from a later car. However having visited a wrecking model of a GS wagon manufactured on 12/75 and retireved this grill, to be told its GSA is dissappointing. What is the likelihood of coming across yet another GS wagon and having yet another non correct grill on it?

Hence has onyone out there got irrefutable photos of the front of GS and the changes over the period 74/75/76? Or a website? I have done google searches and browsed a lot of websites but with results as per above. Clearly we want the "right" one if at all possible? We need someone to have a GS site like lenuacierds for the GS.

Help!

Fellow Frogger!

Donat,

Regardless of the above, I will be giving the 'rechroming' a try to see how it goes. Maybe practice when a 'proper' one comes along.

Thanks.

Donat is correct.

GS as opposed to GSA. Yours is a GSA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-69_gs.jpg   How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-wendt4g.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Donat,

What is it with the GS grills? Did someone assemble them from the spare parts bin? Or were they prone to front end bingles and people just repaired them with whatever caemto hand?
    I have been trying to find definitive contemporary photos of the front of our car, a GS wagon manufactured on 6/74 and first registered we believe in early 1975. Photos are either poor or not accrately dated.
    Persnally I prefer the "honeycomb" one that I think is the original one . Our car came with one with strong horizontal tacked on chrome plastic highlights and a chromed surround that I think is clearly from a later car. However having visited a wrecking model of a GS wagon manufactured on 12/75 and retireved this grill, to be told its GSA is dissappointing. What is the likelihood of coming across yet another GS wagon and having yet another non correct grill on it?

Hence has onyone out there got irrefutable photos of the front of GS and the changes over the period 74/75/76? Or a website? I have done google searches and browsed a lot of websites but with results as per above. Clearly we want the "right" one if at all possible? We need someone to have a GS site like lenuacierds for the GS.

Help!
    They built two and a half million of these cars and made very few external cosmetic changes except the big update to the GSA. Hardly a part bin job but now that wreckers recycle immediately these parts are as rare as hen's teeth.
    I have a 1975 sales brochure and will scan it for you, meanwhile look at
    Http://www.globalfreed.com/gs
    Last edited by gerry freed; 15th July 2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Donat,

Help!
    I reckon the definitive source of information would be the GS/GSA parts list. CCCV has one, I think. The tips on the chrome finish will help me with my DS.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gerry, Harrison & Donat,

The www.gs-gsa.org website is very helpful.

OK so we have a grill from the GSpecial of '79/'80 (or GS Pallas of around '79) on our 6/74 GS Club wagon (ex-VB-4444).

We have recovered parts from 12/75 GS Club wagon and the grill from that car is off a GSA - again from later (between '79 and '86).

SO!!! We are looking for a GS Club grill of the '74 vintage that I believe is the "honeycomb" pattern on the core of the grill with a "chromed" surround. Is that right everyone?

If anyone has one to get rid of, or has the reverse situation and has "our" grill on their later car, we would be most happy to come to terms.

We have an excellent GSpecial/Pallas one and a very good (not excellent) GSA one. We will keep the former one on the car until we sort out a good replacement.

We also have the winter grill mask that came with the GSA one. Does anyone know if that changed with the grills, or whether the same one can be kept by us as relevant to (and fitting over) the GS Club grill, when we get one?

Thanks to all the GS experts out there for your help. Apart from being helpful, it is also entertaining.

Regards,
    Leconte

The winter grille Muff is slightly different from the one for my 72 1220 Club. It appears that the open areas are larger in area and would let my air through.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry, Harrison & Donat,

The www.gs-gsa.org website is very helpful.

OK so we have a grill from the GSpecial of '79/'80 (or GS Pallas of around '79) on our 6/74 GS Club wagon (ex-VB-4444).

We have recovered parts from 12/75 GS Club wagon and the grill from that car is off a GSA - again from later (between '79 and '86).

SO!!! We are looking for a GS Club grill of the '74 vintage that I believe is the "honeycomb" pattern on the core of the grill with a "chromed" surround. Is that right everyone?

If anyone has one to get rid of, or has the reverse situation and has "our" grill on their later car, we would be most happy to come to terms.

We have an excellent GSpecial/Pallas one and a very good (not excellent) GSA one. We will keep the former one on the car until we sort out a good replacement.

We also have the winter grill mask that came with the GSA one. Does anyone know if that changed with the grills, or whether the same one can be kept by us as relevant to (and fitting over) the GS Club grill, when we get one?

Thanks to all the GS experts out there for your help. Apart from being helpful, it is also entertaining.

Regards,
    Leconte
    It so happens that I have one. It is far from new and has a missing plastic fixing lug on the bottom and bit missing on the diagonally opposite one on top. It could be easily recovered as some plastic and glue would soon fix it and the repairs would not be visible from the exterior.

If you want it, find a Victorian who is going to ICCCR who would not mind carrying it home.

Note: My album at
    http://www.globalfreed.com/gs
    has just been updated and includes a scan of the 1975 GS sales brochure and some 'publicity' shots of the GS Rallye after it obtained its very appropriate new number plates.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 16th July 2012 at 07:57 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

when did this one come in, wasn't it mid-1970s?

http://www.rotativementvotre.org/gs-.../jcs/ac332.jpg

There are varying schools of thought regarding GS grilles, but all I know for certain is that the VB should have the honeycomb grille. There's an early and a late one. The only one is a light grey type and the other is darker, perhaps more closer to black. The reason why I say is is because the Pallas was introduced in 1975 which had the honeycomb grille with the gold chevrons like the Birotor did.

I do believe when the originals fell apart or ran into the back of someone else's car, the only ones you could get were the GSA type ones that I've seen on many GSs over the years.

The one Simca 1100 showed is a '76 type. There are variants of that style as well...

Because we got our cars a little later than those in France, it's hard to pinpoint exact dates.

I hope this clears any confusion.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Default Another GS Grill variant

Alf at Terang with the '77 Green Pallas sedan (for sale complete or for Wrecking as per Gumtree and threads I have put on this site - and I may have described it as a '78 model but it is manufactured 9/77 according to Alf)) has noticed these posts and sent me a photo of the grill from the '77 Pallas. We didn't see this on the day we went down.

This one looks in very good condition. It is very similar to the one on the red car posted above from Simca_1100 although possibly not identical - it does have the honeycomb pattern as a background behind the bold chrome stripes. I cannot tell if the one posted just above on the red car has the honeycomb pattern or not. I do like this variant - the chevrons on this are beautiful!

Cheers,
    Leconte

P7160530.JPG P7160534.JPG

Postscript - having posted, I can compare them now - and they are distinctly different! This one and the red car one (and the two we have, plus the original one which may be in two variants) - so that is at least 6 variations over say a 4 - 5 year period on one closely related family of cars...they must have been looking for excuses to update the look and print new brochures every 18 months or so! No wonder aussie dealers / repairers couldn't keep stocks of them all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-p7160530.jpg   How to paint chrome onto plastic? (GS Grill)-p7160534.jpg  
    Last edited by Leconte; 17th July 2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut403 View Post
    As mentioned the special film at model shops....
    Alclad is not a film ----It is a paint that must be sprayed on.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Default chrome plating

Hi leconte, back in the good old days you could get anything plated, ie Chrome,copper, gold, etc there is a chrome plating mob in West Heidleberg vic phone 9459 4177, give them a call, nothing to loose.
    Tony

Thread Information