DS 23IE heater connections?
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default DS 23IE heater connections?

Well now the D is running I have found a new enrgy to finish all the work on it.

Advertisement

In the meantime, I have removed the main heater fan (on the left) and disconnected the water hoses. Now should I connect them together to create a circuit or should I block them off individually?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS 23IE heater connections?-dsci0001-2-.jpg  
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Well now the D is running I have found a new enrgy to finish all the work on it.

In the meantime, I have removed the main heater fan (on the left) and disconnected the water hoses. Now should I connect them together to create a circuit or should I block them off individually?
    If the heater core has on/off water valve or a thermostatic doover on it block them off individually.

If the core runs hot water all the time join them together.

Either way, it won't make much difference. If the core has the former system and you do the latter fix. The engine will take longer to come to temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    If the heater core has on/off water valve or a thermostatic doover on it block them off individually.

If the core runs hot water all the time join them together.

Either way, it won't make much difference. If the core has the former system and you do the latter fix. The engine will take longer to come to temperature.
    Rob,

Don't really know where to look for a valve. So do you reckon it is safe to just block them off?, for me it would be the easiest option.

UFO

Join them and avoid the risk of the blocked hoses causing other problems.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Righty O then, shall do.

Tomorrow's job. thanks Craig

In my opinion it would be better to block them. Simply insert a bolt of suitable size in each open end and fasten with a hose clamp.
    The reason I suggest this is that the normal state for these hoses is for the flow to be blocked when the heater is off. Alternatively, when the heater is on the flow is though the heater core which contributes to the engine cooling. Simply connecting the hoses bypasses the radiator and reduces cooling.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    In my opinion it would be better to block them. Simply insert a bolt of suitable size in each open end and fasten with a hose clamp.
    The reason I suggest this is that the normal state for these hoses is for the flow to be blocked when the heater is off. Alternatively, when the heater is on the flow is though the heater core which contributes to the engine cooling. Simply connecting the hoses bypasses the radiator and reduces cooling.
    Well, that is a very valid point I guess.
    I find it hard to decide which way to go now.
    The worse thing that can happen either way is a bit of overheating isn't it? Can there be complication with the injection stuffing around because of the temperature sensors?

I know noooothing........

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

For total peace of mind to yourself, block the pipes, drive the car and keep a look at the car's running temps, then check with the pipes connected and water flowing through...

on my other pallas the pipe is bypassed and I haven't had overheating problems ever. Ok yours has got an AC system, putting extra strain on the engine causing more heat.

Just my thought, good luck!

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

How can blocking the flow do any harm? That is what you do every time you turn off the heater.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Michael

Not saying it will cause any harm, I just thought Phillipe should try both ways and see if there is any difference, just for himself to have total peace of mind

cheers
    corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Okay, both hoses blocked. DS running fine, I think I'll keep them like that and check the temp gauge....yes I DO have one standard on the dash.

I had forgotten this incredible feeling of well being you get when you drive a D. I hadn't driven one for sooooo long. There's really something organic about these things. Ok I'll stop the philosophy...I can't help myself..am happy...so happy....la la la

DS

Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Thread Information