BA19TRI Alarm Crisis
  • Register
  • Help
    Ram

Default BA19TRI Alarm Crisis

Hi,
    I was working on the wagon today tidying up some instrument panel problems and also replaced the alarm silencing switch in the glove box area. The middle had fallen out. It is a normally open switch that when pressed probably switches off the alarm. Normally used only when changing a battery. That all went well and the car started ok.
    Shortly after I was checking the cigar lighter for power with a troubleshooting probe and the probe shorted to earth next the alarm goes off and cant be silenced with then new switch.
    This car does not have a remote key unit any longer and the key for the alarm siren is also missing.
    Any ideas on how to rectify this from the members will be gratefully accepted.
    Ram

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I pulled the alarm out of mine (16v) recently, as it never did anything except activate the immobiliser after the battery was disconnected.

Try disconnecting the battery again for a while. Then reconnect the battery and hold the glovebox switch on while turning on the ignition. That should reset everything back to usable.

Cheers,

Ken W

Ram

Default Mongoose is forever silenced

That turned out the way to go.
    Had a good think Sat morning after I had had to hitch a ride home the prev nite.
    The wire tracing took a while from the MBX6500 boxes and relays to the horn so that I coud better understand the system and not cut essential wiring. All the Mongoose wires were simply soldered into the car harness wires at the relay/fuse/plug panel whith the exception of the 18swg yellow wire which I gather runs to the key-Ign-starter. That had been cut and a relay inserted. Rejoined that wire with a crimp all the other alarm wires I cut about 1cm from the original harness and taped them over. The whole installation was found to be very DIY. Thankfully it is all now sitting in a box of other discarded electrical junk.
    My BX19TRI has done 252345 km since I purchased it in 1990 from Tayloirs of Menindie, Adelaide. My daughter has done about 70000 km since 2003.
    The roof and front bumper need paint tidy up and thats the next plan

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    That turned out the way to go.
    Had a good think Sat morning after I had had to hitch a ride home the prev nite.
    The wire tracing took a while from the MBX6500 boxes and relays to the horn so that I coud better understand the system and not cut essential wiring. All the Mongoose wires were simply soldered into the car harness wires at the relay/fuse/plug panel whith the exception of the 18swg yellow wire which I gather runs to the key-Ign-starter. That had been cut and a relay inserted. Rejoined that wire with a crimp all the other alarm wires I cut about 1cm from the original harness and taped them over. The whole installation was found to be very DIY. Thankfully it is all now sitting in a box of other discarded electrical junk.
    My BX19TRI has done 252345 km since I purchased it in 1990 from Tayloirs of Menindie, Adelaide. My daughter has done about 70000 km since 2003.
    The roof and front bumper need paint tidy up and thats the next plan
    I pulled ours out too, the alarm that is.

Thanks for raising this matter as I knew I'd forgotten how to use the button in the glove box to reset things and thanks Ken for the answer!

You've had your money's worth from Taylors then! John Taylor died a few years back - I met his father once, many moons ago in Adelaide. Taylors, to their credit, found me a Xantia towbar about 10 years back. Good company.

We decided to paint ours in preference to throwing it away as it was getting neglected. Excellent cars.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information