The best and worst French cars
  • Register
  • Help

Default The best and worst French cars

An article in the Age (and presumably SMH) to celebrate or at least recognize Bastille Day:

http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/the-best-and-worst-french-cars-20120713-21zgw.html

Advertisement

Panhard.
    Pronounced. Pongaah. All very nasal.

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

But where are the "worst" French cars? All the listed one seem to have merit.

I was trying to think of a dud French car I had driven and the Simca 1100 from 1967 came to mind, such a bland and boring car. But then I remembered that I drove one from Greece to Northern Germany in the mid seventies and really it was faultless.

Maybe over recent years the French car industry has produced some stinkers but historically the pragmatic French have been leading lights in practical, comfortable and safe cars. I am looking forward to the Sydney French Car Day this Sunday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The best and worst French cars-simca-1204.jpg  
    Last edited by michaelr; 13th July 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Sp
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

they trying to fill a gap were they

wasted a good 2 mins of my life reading that i'm afraid
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Interesting article, thanks for posting.

But where are the "worst" French cars? All the listed one seen to have merit.

I was trying to think of a dud French car I had driven and the Simca 1100 from 1967 came to mind, such a bland and boring car. But then I remembered that I drove one from Greece to Northern Germany in the mid seventies and really it was faultless.

Maybe over recent years the French car industry has produced some stinkers but historically the pragmatic French have been leading lights in practical, comfortable and safe cars. I am looking forward to the Sydney French Car Day this Sunday!
    Well said Michael,
    having grown up in France and worked in a garage there, I too have driven most of the 1960's / 1970's cars cannot think of one I have not enjoyed one way or the other.
    Time might have dimmed the memories of the dodgey ones, always remember the good drives and forgot the bad ones.
    The DS has always been my favorite but I could never afford one while I was there, so I am now re-living the wonder of the DS.
    Long may we keep them running with the help of this forum.
    Cheers
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Had a 1974 D Special 4Sp (by now reborn as a Toaster)

The headline had nothing to do with the article, which was more about French car "weirdness" . They missed DIRAVI steering and Renaults with asymmetric wheelbases, among other things.
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

I remember reading a review of a Citroen that took it to task for not being quirky enough.

Quote Originally Posted by cme2c View Post
    The headline had nothing to do with the article, which was more about French car "weirdness" . They missed DIRAVI steering and Renaults with asymmetric wheelbases, among other things.
    The article was re-published in the Sydney papers on Saturday in the Drive section of the Weekend Herald. Interestingly the headline had been changed to "The Weirdest French Cars?" (yes, with the question mark).
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuy View Post
    Well said Michael,
    having grown up in France and worked in a garage there, I too have driven most of the 1960's / 1970's cars cannot think of one I have not enjoyed one way or the other.
    Time might have dimmed the memories of the dodgey ones, always remember the good drives and forgot the bad ones.
    The DS has always been my favorite but I could never afford one while I was there, so I am now re-living the wonder of the DS.
    Long may we keep them running with the help of this forum.
    Cheers
    How interesting Techbuy, I'm exactly the same. Grew up in France, worked in garages, even succeeded in getting an apprenticeship with Citroen in Asnieres, but left shortly after that for Australia. And ever since always wanted a D which I couldn't afford when I was younger.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Thread Information