Citroen coolant
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Citroen coolant

Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen coolant

Hi there, does anybody know what colour genuine citroen coolant is? Have a new c5 but just noticed that the colorant colour seems to be a straw-clear colour. Not the usual colour I expected. Would appreciate some advice. Cheersj

Advertisement

It is the same with new peugeots, nothing to worry about it is a long life coolant that comes from the factory, and thats just its colour. it differs from the coolant they supply for services or if you want to purchase a bottle. easy to tell if its past its service life or contaminated (due to a fault or external cause).

To answer your question, the genuine coolant from the bottles is blue in colour. You will notice this if you get a coolant flush on your service. not sure if/when a flush is scheduled, if its not scheduled, i would do it on the 40,000km service along with your brake fluid which is scheduled. or you can move it back to 80k or even an intermediate service to spread the cost.
    Last edited by Capago; 12th July 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the reply. Owners Manual says that the coolant does not ever need to be changed!!! Could it be that the coolant starts off as a green colour then changes to the straw colour? So straw colour coolant is all a okay? Cheers

no, it never is the green colour, which is the ethylene glycol you buy at repco. that should be used with caution as it is not compatible with some cars..learnt that from experience....ef fairmont....all the coolant gaskets and all the crusty leaks let go in the space of 1 week

and i wouldnt say it doesnt ever need to be replaced, for your own peace of mind i would get it changed at the 4 year/80,000km service, although personally i would do it every 2 years but im paranoid like that. Other peugeot/citroen models, such as the 207, 307, 407 etc have it replaced at the 40k (if i remember correctly)

I get the impression that 11353 series products (11353 01, 11353 05) are the orangey-yellow stuff. Availability here - you'd need to enquire.

Old school green coolant is good at finding leaks in a marginal engine! My experiences there were with Fords, too.

To address the OP - five years is probably a safe margin for renewal if mileages are below what Cameron suggests.

Fellow Frogger!

different strokes for etc etc, Ford / Holden and the like use a different additive from say a Toyota, some manufactures specify non glycol coolant while others strangely remain non committal. The Castrol green stuff comes in two different formulas, one for engines with different metals ie; alloy cylinder heads etc and one for cast iron engines. Citroen is non committal on the type, refering only to the genuine product [and price] or leaving it to the recommendations of those additive manufacturers, so do some homework.
    The wrong stuff can severely damage an engine in the long term. Meanwhile enjoy the C5.

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    Other peugeot/citroen models, such as the 207, 307, 407 etc have it replaced at the 40k (if i remember correctly)
    The last pugs that specified fluid changes (ie. change at 40k) were the 206, 307 and 407.

207, 308, 508, etc. are all of the "does not require replacement" variety.

CitroŽn vehicles are similarly specified.

My 207 has the straw coloured stuff, whereas the DS3 has the dark green/blue stuff (same colour as the replacement fluid you buy at a dealer). Both are not required to be changed according to the handbook.

For info, the 207 cooling system is still operating brilliantly after 89,000km on its original coolant. I think it's been topped up just the once.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all, need to top up the coolant in my c5 slightly. As noted, the original coolant colour is that pale straw colour. Bought some genuine coolant from citroen, but is a blue colour. Are they compatible? Cheers

Fellow Frogger

It's possibly just a different dye used in the factory fill versus the service product. The blue stuff would be Glysantin G33, which is apparently made by BASF for PSA and is an ethylene glycol premix with an organic acid (OAT) type of inhibitor. That should be the same inhibitor technology as used in the long life coolants that are usually dyed red or orange.

Why is it low? Where are you losing the coolant? It's a new car within the warranty period isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaza1 View Post
    Hi there, does anybody know what colour genuine citroen coolant is? Have a new c5 but just noticed that the colorant colour seems to be a straw-clear colour. Not the usual colour I expected. Would appreciate some advice. Cheersj
    I Know that the coolant for a GS or a 2CV is invisible!!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Its not so much the coolant , but the stray current in the water,,

test it and see how much voltage you have , this causes this electolytic corrosion that can happen very fast

Coolant does break down , its more than 100C in there and aly corrodes very easily, cars are really very coolant sensitive and fussy
    Its just that we cant see in there so we assume nothing bad is happening , hope , hope,

Quote Originally Posted by Renburg View Post
    Its not so much the coolant , but the stray current in the water,,

test it and see how much voltage you have , this causes this electolytic corrosion that can happen very fast

Coolant does break down , its more than 100C in there and aly corrodes very easily, cars are really very coolant sensitive and fussy
    Its just that we cant see in there so we assume nothing bad is happening , hope , hope,
    This situation occurs once coolant turns acidic. Change it regularly every two years and there should be no problem.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information