D Fuel gauge sender
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D Fuel gauge sender

This item is now recieving some long oveerdue attention.Having removed the sender I notice that the float sinks!! Also the contact between the wiper and the resistive wire is very intermittent.I.m sure this must be acommon problem all help appreciated.
    Woody

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Woody

The float, is the float itself still the cork type? Mine was then I modified the arm to acommodate the 2cv plastic float. Regarding the intermittent contacting, maby the resistive wire is getting so thin it is starting to break off? I had this problem with a friend's car, I had to replace the unit because the resistive wire part tired, i guess after 40 years of alot of work the wires are letting go..... either that or the contacts are dirty

Best of luck
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    This item is now recieving some long oveerdue attention.Having removed the sender I notice that the float sinks!! Also the contact between the wiper and the resistive wire is very intermittent.I.m sure this must be acommon problem all help appreciated.
    Woody
    Hi Brian,

i gave up on my old unit, sounds like much the same issues you have with the resistive wire. My guage worked but only read from half a tank.

I ended up buying a new unit, problem solved but the credit card took a pounding...

You are welcome to my old sender, if you think you may be able to make one from two, pretty sure it has a plastic float.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I recently bought a new sender unit and after a little adjustment of the mounting holes and 're-calibration' of the dash guage, no leaks and it works fine.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger

I scrounged the float from a C3,C5 style tank unit and fitted it to an old sender unit. You just have to make sure the shaft is crimped again to stop the retaining washer slipping off. It now works correctly. I would think you could clean the winding as the windings may be partly shorted by carbon. If they are worn, there's little you can do except replace it. You may be able to buy the correct type of resistance wire somewhere, but another sender is obviously easier.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the help,Chris is sending me his old unit with a floatig float (mine is cork)
    thenI.ll try cleaning up the contacts.
    Woody

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Thanks for all the help,Chris is sending me his old unit with a floatig float (mine is cork)
    thenI.ll try cleaning up the contacts.
    Woody
    Should be posted today, it actually looks better than I thought, I think with a good clean it might be a goer

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information