07 1.6 petrol auto timing belt
  • Register
  • Help

Default 07 1.6 petrol auto timing belt

I've just bought this c4 though it didn't come with the service schedule and I was wondering when the belt is due to be done. Also if anyone knows a rough costing for the job. I'm now a two citroen household and happy for it

Advertisement
    Last edited by simonr23; 4th July 2012 at 03:56 PM.

I think its 80000km the interval.......

Fellow Frogger

I'd imagine that current Citroen models have a 4 year, somewhere around 100K? interval, depending on the model. What's in your handbook? Daniel may be right about 80K. It is probably longer than that as the service intervals were shortened around 2010. The cost is likely to vary, depending on what is done. If it's a high mile car, you probably want to change the water pump, roller and the tensioner too, which will add to the cost.

thanks for the replies. the manual i have for the car doesnt have a mention of service requirements. the car has done 120kms, the only service receipts i got with the car cover upto 60km(and 2 yrs of use)

'apparently' it has been serviced at adelaides citroen dealer, so i'll call them at some stage too i guess.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    thanks for the replies. the manual i have for the car doesnt have a mention of service requirements. the car has done 120kms, the only service receipts i got with the car cover upto 60km(and 2 yrs of use)

'apparently' it has been serviced at adelaides citroen dealer, so i'll call them at some stage too i guess.

thanks again.
    Personally, unless you can prove to yourself that it has been done and when, I'd change it. I imagine the dealer will have a record, but I wouldn't wait long before asking the question.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

don

Default borrowed time

Hello and welcome to the world of c4ism

I have a Vtr 1.6 manual 2005 model
    TU5JP4 NFU SERIES
    At 80K or 4 years is what the handbook stipulates.
    My vehicle has 92334 and goes in tomorrow for timing belt and water pump replacement
    My mechanic - Brooke Motors mayfield Newcastle quoted me $1100.00 Citroen dealer $1540.00
    I would have to say My C4 has been living on borrowed time as the belts do degrade with age regardless of kilometres. GET IT DONE SOON

Welcome again try www.c4owners.org
    dont forget to show for the All french car day Sun 15th July silverwater Park

regards
    don
    Last edited by don; 4th July 2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: wrong date

don

Default Bastille Day

Are any citroen revellers getting together for Bastille Day
    My C4 and partner (in that order are in town) and would love
    to catch up for Dinner on the night of Saturday 14th July

thanks don. for some reason i cant access the c4owners site on my home pc. i get an error 403 message. its fine on my phone though???

to follow up, the adelaide dealer hasnt been involved in the servicing of this car. they quoted around $850 to do the belt, tensioner and another small item. does this sound about right for the pug/cit 1.6 petrol (80kw engine)

the standard items i'm happy to do myself, but i'm not confident in doing the belt myself, so if 850 is a fair price, i think ill just get them to do it.

jmn

If that is the new BMW/Peugeot "Prinz" petrol engine, it has a chain driving the cams, ergo, no service interval for changing.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

Quote Originally Posted by jmn View Post
    If that is the new BMW/Peugeot "Prinz" petrol engine, it has a chain driving the cams, ergo, no service interval for changing.
    Prinz? That's NSU territory! Prince engines, please

I think 2007 model C4s were all TU5 engines (and therefore belts), but well worth mentioning, all the same.

The Prince engine arrived in the C4 in 2009 with the nose job.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    to follow up, the adelaide dealer hasnt been involved in the servicing of this car. they quoted around $850 to do the belt, tensioner and another small item. does this sound about right for the pug/cit 1.6 petrol (80kw engine)

the standard items i'm happy to do myself, but i'm not confident in doing the belt myself, so if 850 is a fair price, i think ill just get them to do it.
    Assuming you are referring to a Citroen dealership utilising genuine parts, $850 sounds pretty good. I was quoted $1100 by a dealer to do the timing belt and water pump replacement on my VTS (and that did not include replacing the tensioning rollers). As DavidS mentioned, it's worth getting your water pump replaced if it hasn't already been done. Earlier model C4s ran a plastic water pump design which is (now) known to be a bit "flawed". Citroen replaced the design with an improved metal version in later years. If you're spending the money to have the timing belt done, it's well worth spending a bit extra to get the water pump done at the same time.

FYI - I ended up purchasing genuine Citroen parts from the UK for a fraction of the Citroen Australia parts price and will be getting them fitted by an independent mechanic.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

jmn

SLC206

Thanks for that correction.

Yeah, I thought 07 was probably too early for the Prince/Prinz (whatever) engine.

Bit odd that no service internal for the belt change is stated in the service booklet considering the disastrous consequences of a busted belt.
    Previous:
    2009 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
    2003 C5 2.0 auto
    2003 Xsara 1.6 auto
    2000 Xsara 2.0 manual
    1996 306 XR

don

Default Dayco belt kit

As mentioned Iv just had my C4 VTR 1.6 tu5jp4 model replaced
    The timing belt kit you want is the euro KTB417E from Dayco.
    As Cam suggested it is best to replace the water pump and all tensioner rollers as well as the the two cam shaft seals.

My garage quoted me $1100.00 and I paid $1192.00 with a oil change and filter as well.
    The oil filter will need to be removed to gain access to the flywheel aperture for locking purposes

If the battery is disconnected ensure that your mechanic has the means to reset ABS etc especilly if the wheels are turned during the procedure.
    Best of luck.

Oh by the way

after 92K the water pump was still in excellent order ( Metal type ) and the rollers showed minimal wear the belt had Gone hard and the followon from this would then be cracking on the teeth of the belt and then delamination MY MECHANIC SAID probably another 2 K followd by much swearing and parting with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

SO GET IT DONE

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    As mentioned Iv just had my C4 VTR 1.6 tu5jp4 model replaced
    The timing belt kit you want is the euro KTB417E from Dayco.
    As Cam suggested it is best to replace the water pump and all tensioner rollers as well as the the two cam shaft seals.

My garage quoted me $1100.00 and I paid $1192.00 with a oil change and filter as well.
    The oil filter will need to be removed to gain access to the flywheel aperture for locking purposes

If the battery is disconnected ensure that your mechanic has the means to reset ABS etc especilly if the wheels are turned during the procedure.
    Best of luck.

Oh by the way

after 92K the water pump was still in excellent order ( Metal type ) and the rollers showed minimal wear the belt had Gone hard and the followon from this would then be cracking on the teeth of the belt and then delamination MY MECHANIC SAID probably another 2 K followd by much swearing and parting with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

SO GET IT DONE
    Following on from Don's comments...

The cam seals probably don't need to be touched unless they are showing obvious signs of wear (in which case it's better to replace them to be on the safe side).

General rule of thumb is that you would replace the timing belt and tensioner rollers at the same time. That being said, you should be aware that Citroen servicing guidelines here in Australia (apparently) dictate that the tensioner rollers are not required to be replaced unless they are showing signs of excessive wear and/or damage. Reportedly, this is due to the fact that petrol C4 engines are quite kind on the tensioner rollers so they can often last 2 timing belts. As such, dealers may indicate that the belt and rollers are separate parts, however you can purchase them as a timing belt kit (which is slightly cheaper).

Just for comparison, my VTS is a bit over 7 years old with roughly 73K on the clock. I'm on my original timing belt () but have all the replacement parts in hand and am about to get it all replaced. I purchased genuine Citroen replacement parts through a Citroen dealership in the UK for a fraction of the cost of sourcing parts here in Australia, even taking shipping costs into account.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    facebook.com/cccnsw

don

Default more c4 woes

hi Cam and J just got home from work. Woe is me
    will I ever have a any luck with this car ???????????????????

This morning cold start Very bad rattle at start up sounded like a muffler baffles or spigot wear.

Lessened as I drove to work 26 K but still slightlty there.

This afternoon same noise on start up a look under the bonnet showed nothing obvious. Drove home and noise seemed to lessen. Put car on curb one wheel on the lawn one on the street and crawled underneath.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! OIL EVERYWHERE ALL OVER SUB FRAME AND ALL THE WAY OVER THE EXHAUST SYSTEM AND STEERING BOX.

What does it take to get a mechanic to do the job the right way I ask ?

Back to Brook Motors tomorrow for a big grumble. Probably wont make it to the french car day the way this is going.

This would be wher the swearing begins as for the dollars well Im all ready tapped out !
    Last edited by don; 8th July 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: incomplete

Oh dear. Not good at all Don. If I understood correctly that you suspect the mechanic hasn't done the job right, then it's simple. If they botched the job, then it's there responsibility to fix (at their expense). How long ago was it worked on and what was done?

facebook.com/cccnsw

don

hey cam
    The work was done on saturday
    new water pump, new timimng belt, cam shaft oil seals, cam tensioner and pully, new serpentine belt

So pretty much the whole timing case works.

The mechanic has been very good up to this point so the benefit of doubt, maybe a defective part who Knows any way Iv just drop it off to them I live around the corner thank god.

Hope your C4 is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Prinz? That's NSU territory! Prince engines, please

I think 2007 model C4s were all TU5 engines (and therefore belts), but well worth mentioning, all the same.

The Prince engine arrived in the C4 in 2009 with the nose job.
    NSU Prinz engines don't have timing chains anyway

don

just got the C4 back turns out the rattle was a loose bolt in the bracket that reinforces engind and transmission.
    The Oil leek was the bottom crankshaft Seal. It had a slight defomation so was allowing oil past.

A full day of work by brook motors and I seem to be back on the road.

The defective seal will go back to Dayco as the Kits are supposedly OEM quality or better.

May make the French Car Day yet.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    May make the French Car Day yet.
    Well that is some good news.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

don

How about some sunny weather just to make the day a good one !

Thread Information