Flame Thrower + 123 = WIN!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Flame Thrower + 123 = WIN!

Hey,

Advertisement

I just purchased and fitted a high out put coil: Pertronix Flame Thrower
    I got the oil filled 1.5ohm variant, this is the one without the ballast resistor, cost around $45 delivered.

Running the DS on gas it was getting harder to stat on cold melbourne mornings, 5am... Although I need to adjust the tappets which is probably the main issue, I have never replaced the coil in the 20years I have had the car... 20years

Removed the old coil and ballast resistor, changed the terminals and BANG! it started abd ran beautifully

Now I wonder which advance setting I really should be using for a Dspecial on gas?

Harley

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pastinha View Post
    Hey,

I got the oil filled 1.5ohm variant, this is the one without the ballast resistor, cost around $45 delivered.

Running the DS on gas it was getting harder to stat on cold melbourne mornings, 5am... Although I need to adjust the tappets which is probably the main issue, I have never replaced the coil in the 20years I have had the car... 20years

Removed the old coil and ballast resistor, changed the terminals and BANG! it started abd ran beautifully

Now I wonder which advance setting I really should be using for a Dspecial on gas?

Harley
    start about 15deg and work up till you either pings or you can't start it cold
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pastinha View Post
    Hey,

Harley
    Harley,

Check op D 210-00 in 814 Vol 1. Find the ignition curve setting for you make and year car. Then set the 123's rotary switch based on the table in the 123's instruction book. Set the advance at 2000 rpm as specified in 814 op D 210-0. Keep in mind that that the values in the table are based on Crankshaft degrees. The timing scale is using a mark on the Camshaft pulley - so divide the table values by 1/2.

So long as your camshaft is in good shape - the listed settings will work fine. If the cam is appreciably worn you may well have to advance the ignition a bit to prevent stumbling off idle. Don't advance to much or you will run into pre-ignition problems under load and/or at high rpm's.

Steve

Initial timing of 10-12 degrees Before top dead centre and maximum advance of 32 degrees when running LPG. This can be varied but is the best starting point, produced over 325 kW's in a 308 Holden motor!
    Best to not waste your time and do an initial set up, then get it dyno tuned by a LPG expert. The difference should be fairly noticeable, starting/economy and power delivery.

Brendan

Thread Information