Citroen bijou/john vanechop
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen bijou/john vanechop

hi peeps,i am the bijou registra in england for 2cvgb...i am in the midst of telling an amazing story of a bijou that was driven to australia ,in 1960s,by adrian hoad,or at least it got as far katmandu,was then sold then re-appeared in australia owned by a mr John Vanechop in New South Wales who i am trying to trace. i have his address and email in the records but there is no answer from either,does any one know of him or the bijou,i did have a picture of a bijou in a scrap yard in Australia but lost it,anyone know about that pic.
    any help gratefully received
    cheers

Advertisement

I have sent you a PM
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by bijoudave View Post
    hi peeps,i am the bijou registra in england for 2cvgb...i am in the midst of telling an amazing story of a bijou that was driven to australia ,in 1960s,by adrian hoad,or at least it got as far katmandu,was then sold then re-appeared in australia owned by a mr John Vanechop in New South Wales who i am trying to trace. i have his address and email in the records but there is no answer from either,does any one know of him or the bijou,i did have a picture of a bijou in a scrap yard in Australia but lost it,anyone know about that pic.
    cheers
    thanks to the citroen community,after 6 years of working on this story i have now spoken to john in aussieland and got some of the background,he is sending pictures and story...,he still has the bijou,thank you all,the full story will be in the uk mags of 2cvgb and ccc and i will fill in the basics on this site when its finished
    cheers
    DAVE SHOVE
    BIJOU REGISTRA
    2CVGB

Fellow Frogger!

Default John

Chevron Motors.

My 2cv service file has many stamps, and my GS before that, I used to ate to John for services.

Does anyone know how he is going?

last I heard he was in southern NSW on a property, half his luck.

What is John up to thesdays?

He was back then a master of Citroens, at Seven Hills, and worth the drive.

Chris Mortimer

JBN

He has a large backyard at Mittagong, full of classic Citroens of many models. He still does mechanical work AFAIK.

In 2008, he rebuilt the engine on my 2CV Daffy Duck and repeened the gearbox. That was the last time I saw him (Aug 2008). Years before (at Seven Hills) he replaced kingpins and rebuilt the engine on my other 2CV.

John

Quote Originally Posted by bijoudave View Post
    cheers
    I knew Adrian from the early days of the Citroen Car Club of Victoria and he often spoke of the Bijou. If my memory serves me correctly he got it as far as Australia. He had it at his house that he was renting ( Caulfield ????? ). I never saw the car in the flesh but Adrian carried a photograph.
    Cheers Gerry

There was, and probably still is one in Canberra. I have the details somewhere. And years ago I listed the details of this car and many other surviving slough 2CV's through the magazine of the NSW Citroen car club.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bijou

Bert, are there any others in Australia?

I assume just this one and another in Canberra.

Just two all up.

Chris Mortimer

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Bert, are there any others in Australia?

I assume just this one and another in Canberra.

Just two all up.

Chris Mortimer
    I believe so.

Fellow Frogger!

I believe there is also a recent import into Port Hedland WA.
    A future restoration for an enthusiast over there.
    Hawk

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    ... surviving slough 2CV's ...
    How many Slough 2cv's do you think remain?

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    How many Slough 2cv's do you think remain?
    Who knows? At one stage I had some 40 on my list including some over seas ones. Most of them never seem to get back on the road , like my one!

Tadpole

there is one bijou just arrived in australia ,i think its the one being refered to in a prev post,,sold on ebay uk,moved to france for some work,then shipped to australia,am in contact with the owner to find him some bits and will give more info,i have just the 3 in australia on the registers list at the moment,out of the 150 roughly of the 203 made...about 20 onthe road still

Tadpole

Hi bijoudave. My name Is phil lock and I have an ID19 '62 model that I am now intending to put back on the road. I used to live in Sydney and moved to Melbourne in 1992. This means that the id has sat idle since the move from Sydney. The reason I am contacting you is that I used to used john vanechop (when he was at chevron motors) as my mentor for work on the car. As I can see from the thread you have been able to find his address. Could you please send me his email so that I can contact him. If you feel unsure about John's privacy could you send him an email and ask him to email me on [email protected]. thanks
    phil lock

Thread Information