Small leak DS 23 Pallas
  • Register
  • Help

Default Small leak DS 23 Pallas

I seem to have secured myself a small LHM leak directly underneath the front passenger seat. Circumstances prevented me from investigating further until tomorrow, but I wondered where it could be coming from, as I can't recall any joins or weaknesses/boots etc in that area. Can leaks happen anywhere? Where are the most common places?

Advertisement

If the leak is really level with the drivers seat then.it must be offset near the sill and could conceivably be due to.corroded.pipework. However, if it is underneath the passengers knees then it is probably blowing back from the left hand wheel arch and possibly a leaking height corrector or, more likely a split boot.

You will probably need to remove the left hand guard and splash shield to check it properly
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Possibly a minor leak under the bonnet running down the chassis to the lowest point before dropping off?

The one to check first might be the return line from the regulator to the tank. This runs in rubber to a tee piece on the inside flange of the LH chassis rail. If it goes, you'll have green stuff everywhere, so a precautionary check is worthwhile. The hoses do deteriorate over the years and can develop small cracks. Not impossible to replace, but certainly not fun to patch up beside the Hume Highway. (Don't ask how I know this!)

There's also other things on that side, pressure regulator and main accumulator and also, if I recall correctly on the '23, perhaps a brake accumulator?

A small leak may be indicative of bigger things to follow. Not wanting to be alarmist but in my experience any loss of LHM is a warning of potential majors coming.

Keep us posted on what you find, and remember to use ramps or stands before poking your squishy bits under there.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

There is no hydraulic line or source of fluid under the passenger seat.
    A thorough clean up and careful observation should reveal the source.

UFO

I think Pottsy is on the money.

To check, with the car running, look underneath without putting yourself under the car and see if there is a spray/stream indicating pressur, or dripping/dribbling indicating a return line that is faulty.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thanks everyone - Richo you are correct, I should have described the source as being closer to the rear of the passenger side of the engine compartment. It was a drop not a spray, so that is good I suppose. Anyway it's now at the garage, so will hear a verdict in a day or so once the cars in front are repaired... Stay tuned and any cash donations please feel free to donate at any commonwealth bank branch I'll give you my account number!

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default I know this leak...

There is a rubber return line which connects the main return maifold to the bottom of the reservoir. It comes out of an oval hole in the front of the chassis crossmember on the left side, inboard of the chassis rail and behind the driveshaft. It leaks into the box sections so if there is a hole in the footwell arewa it gets onto the front cabin floor. The external leak will blow back to the scilencer cutout and drip off, approximatly under the front of the passenger's seat.

It is a pain to get and and will be absolutly filthy, especially when coupled with aleaking inner driveshaft boot.

I don't have pics at the moment but I will try to get some when I renew this line in my car.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by ntr1972 View Post
    Anyway it's now at the garage, so will hear a verdict in a day or so once the cars in front are repaired... Stay tuned
    We are all waiting breathlessly and staying tuned

Did you find the cause of the leak?
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Small leak in the regulator seals. Still managed to take out Bastille Day People's Choice Award!

Thread Information