DS Pigmented roof polish
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS Pigmented roof polish

I'mmm baaaaackkk!!

Advertisement

Armed with my new toy.. ie orbital variable speed polisher.. mmmwaaahahahaaa!!.. I attacked the roof today for a good ol' rub. Why do it by hand when a machine can do it for you!??

Using 3M fibreglass polish I did one pass one side.. even the difference after that impressed me. Rubbed back the excess by hand and then reapplied, then applied wax for a final polish.

Polish on the right... Sydney fall out polluted roof on the left..

You can just make out the reflection of my hand...

Not easy to photograph but a nice satin glow now

Bling

Hopefully with the wax polish it will withstand some of the pollution it currently has to weather.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 7th July 2012 at 03:05 AM.

I wonder how a carnuba based wax like Meguiar's Yellow Wax would work over that. Would definitely give a glossier finish though. If tempted to try it I have found if you let the polish dry for several hours it gives an even better finish and easier to get off. I let it dry overnight on our Xantia, the gloss finish is amazing for a car that has spent its life outdoors.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why didn't I think of that !!! That's the best looking "D" fiberglass roof I've ever seen now. The reason for "Why didn't I think of that" .... My brother was using that stuff on his boat in my backyard!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

mnm

Hi all

I was curious to see how the new polisher would go on the duco of the DecidedlySpecial..given its current patina..ie crap. Have a look at the pics!! This is with a washed car. I made one pass on the right side of the boot with the coarse compound provided with the polisher kit... I think the results speak for themselves..

This pic is without a flash so you can see the reflection I've achieved..

Side view.. done the whole boot lid.. that's without polish yet. Sets off the orange peel nicely i think.

Trouble is, having made a clean shiny bit, I have to do the whole car now..

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

It certainly looks better. Is it actually a gel coat? Most would have been painted by now I'd have thought.

I do wonder how one would deal with the earlier style of translucent roof where the surface is not smooth. I don't know how you'd ever remove dirt trapped between the fibres.

mnm

Now that's what i'm talkin' aboouutt!

Matthew

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It certainly looks better. Is it actually a gel coat? Most would have been painted by now I'd have thought.

I do wonder how one would deal with the earlier style of translucent roof where the surface is not smooth. I don't know how you'd ever remove dirt trapped between the fibres.

Hello

it has a slight lumpiness to it but not the fibres you're talking about. I've seen that on Darrin's car..of Citroen Classics in London.. it looks like matting! My roof stains when it's out in the weather.. had a lovely imprint of autumn leaves on it up until yeaterday.. but as you see they rub off fairly easily, certainly not permanent. I'm hoping the wax seal will prevent that to a degree now.

Matthew

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'm amazed how good that roof looks (in the piccies either way) ..... the finish looks like really nice "satin" finish without the usual "chalkiness" that effects them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I love the result, and I've always loved your car, i'm glad it went to someone who cares. I looked at it on carsales for ages and wondered why no one grabbed it. Well done, it came from near where I grew up in the Adelaide Hills......... I had a car with a completely raw fibre glass roof, but was dyed/pigmented, was a very low mileage car. I couldn't understand why it didn't seem to have any kind of coating on the roof. After trying a few different things, I ended up rubbing a few cans of 3M tyre cleaner into it ( I absolutely drenched it ). Was an amazing result and buffed up to a beautiful lustre, water beaded off it for a few winters. I can't find the product anymore, it smelt fantastic, i guess it was carcinogenic, it left a semi matt finish as opposed to the more common wet look. Anyway, I've tried a few things over the years with different results, I GelCoated the roof of my first DS, in truth it wasn't a great result, I did it with a brush, but it worked really well, but looked shite. Anything that prevents the fibreglass from absorbing moisture is going to preserve it, ........ once again, well done!

mb

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

I have one of those early, translucent ID roofs. Spent many hours cleaning, more time repairing the outer steel surround and then trying to remove the stains from the roof.
    The roof was bleached to remove stain, the only stain remaining appears to be leaked blue biro.
    Nothing seems to move that, nothing i know of anyway. it might not be blue biro ink.

The surface though is rough and there are "smut" marks all through the coat. This is the resin breaking down.
    If I ever use this roof I need to seal it on both the internal and external surface.
    It is the only bolt-on roof I have. My other choice is a bonded roof, in decent nick.
    Last edited by richo; 1st July 2012 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Now that's what i'm talkin' aboouutt!

Matthew
    Great photos Matthew, I know how it looked a month ago, now, it's sham-wow ;=))
    You're a toiler.

That looks fantastic. The CCCNSW is running an evening to Meguiars outlet . Might be a good outing to learn what the professionals would suggest for a fibreglass roof.

Tuesday 10th July - MEGUIAR'S PRODUCT PRESENTATION EVENING
    Venue: MotorActive 35 Slough Business Park Holker Street Silverwater
    Arrive 6.30 pm for a 7 pm start should go for about 2 hours

Complimentary drinks & snacks will be provided
    Meguiar's will run through a range of their paint rectification products from compounds through to finishing waxes, with tips and tricks. They will also try to cover their other categories if time permits. They will explain what can & can't be done by DIY versus Professional.
    There will be several lucky door prizes at the end of the evening & attendees have the opportunity to purchase Meguiar's & Liqui Moly products at a significant discount.
    There is no charge to members for the evening
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information