IE fuel pressure regulator, directional?
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default IE fuel pressure regulator, directional?

Anyone knows whether the fuel pressure regulator is one-directional on the IE or can it be installed any which way. It is completely symetrical and I can't tell if there is a flow direction or whatever?

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger

It can only fit on one way as it has two inlets (sides) and one outlet (bottom) with the adjuster bolt at the top. Compare it with what's on the car unless it has been changed to take something different??? It acts as the joiner between the two sides of the rail and is just a glorified one way valve that requires a specified pressure to open.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It can only fit on one way as it has two inlets (sides) and one outlet (bottom) with the adjuster bolt at the top. Compare it with what's on the car unless it has been changed to take something different??? It acts as the joiner between the two sides of the rail and is just a glorified one way valve that requires a specified pressure to open.
    Thanks David, so the 2 inlets at the top can be mounted either side? I understand it only fit one way north-south, but can it be fitted either way east-west as ther are no markings on it?

Fellow Frogger

Both inlets take the same pressure from the rail, so it makes no difference which way around you spin it on the axis of it's adjusting bolt.

I was able to remove the old one with a bit of persuasion. Installing the new one is a handful, and so far am unable to connect the last hose as I can't ge tenough movement in the rail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IE fuel pressure regulator, directional?-2012-06-30-18.39.27.jpg  
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 30th June 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Yes, it will be a tight fit, but you got the old one out, so it must be possible! It's probably simpler to remove the whole rail with the injectors and replace the short hoses while you are there. If the injectors haven't been out for a long time, they may not come out easily though or the pintle caps, if they have any, will get caught.

You might think about replacing those open worm drive hose clamps with EFI clamps as you have used on the cold start injector pip. The open worm drive can cut the hose and doesn't always tighten up evenly around the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Yes, it will be a tight fit, but you got the old one out, so it must be possible! It's probably simpler to remove the whole rail with the injectors and replace the short hoses while you are there. If the injectors haven't been out for a long time, they may not come out easily though or the pintle caps, if they have any, will get caught.

You might think about replacing those open worm drive hose clamps with EFI clamps as you have used on the cold start injector pip. The open worm drive can cut the hose and doesn't always tighten up evenly around the hose.
    David
    Thanks for your help so far. I have spent the week-end trying all manners of ways to stick the [email protected]#$%^ing thing back in....no way.
    So, tell me if I am wrong doing this: I am going to extend each of these hoses with an inj. hose out until it is reachable from further out , then connect the pressure regulator, then fix it somewhere secure. Could that possibly cause a problem?

Fellow Frogger

You could place the regulator metres away and it would probably still work OK. However, that's where the designers placed it and it's secure there, so a good place to fit it. Another thing to consider, but probably only an issue under high flow/load situations, would be the pressure drop in very long hoses that might allow a slightly higher pressure at the injectors. If you can't fit it correctly, then I'd advocate removing the rail and injectors, checking/replacing parts and then refitting it with new injector seals.

If you are going down the route of replacing hoses on injectors, cut them off with a blade soldering iron rather than a knife or razor blade. You won't damage the barbs that way. How you fit the new hose depends on what you have. The original style would have been crimped on, but will take an injector hose clamp well. I replaced the original 23 injectors with a set originally fitted to a D-Jet MB 450. They are the same flow rate etc., but a different number. These have a barb with multiple serrations as opposed to just the raised end of the original type. From V12 Jaguar experience, I wouldn't be trusting "about right" 5/16th imperial hose simply pushed onto the barb with multiple serrations as most people tell you is OK. It's better to locate metric hose instead, but the DS rail piping is a slightly larger diameter than the correct metric hose you can still buy from Jaguar for the Bosch Injectors, so a compromise is needed. That's not really your problem though ...

David,

Ran out of ideas for this week! Back on deck next weekend. Cheers

Thread Information