Xantia auto trans.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia auto trans.

May sound silly but can anyone tell what model/year did the Xantia change to the AL4 gearbox.thanks.

Advertisement

Default Xantia Trans

As far as I know 1998, peugeot 406 had the same. Mine is a 98 model with AL4; does wonders changing the trans oil!

Earlier model transmissions were the better one's.

I'm not convinced earlier ones were better!

125K kilometres on a rebuilt AL4, flogging it mercilessly at silly speeds, repeated heavy loads (1000kg gross tows etc), clutch drops, stalling up and it still goes OK. Needs a fluid change as there's a small leak somewhere in the front pump/input shaft area and the level has dropped too low. The first one died at about 95K, prior to my possession - I suspect from ignoring the need for solenoid and software tweaks.

Earlier autoboxes are too "soft" for my liking; I prefer the way an AL4 will downshift as you back off approaching a corner, yet keep the converter locked up so you can power out as with a manual 'box.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies wife is looking at one (97 model). We have a C5 with AL4 that died at 90,000 km. I agree I like the downshift on overrun and so far 10,000km after fitting a new AL4 it is performing well.

JBN

I find the ZF in both BXs and early Xantias to be superb. They downshift very well on a trailing throttle.

Features I really like is the ability to start in Park, pull the lever (with button pushed in) fully to the rear, then push the lever (with button out) forward until it stops in drive.

When driving, the ability to select 3rd by just flicking the lever to the rear (without depressing the button) and it stops in 3rd with a locked up convertor. After the corner, push it forward to get back into drive. Gives a lot of manual control at exciting speeds, far quicker than on a manual car with a clutch.

They seem to have a lot less problems than the AL4. Compared with many other automatics I have driven, they can be operated instictively, not a thing that you often get with cars of that vintage. In fact, how many automatics of that vintage can you easily use if the gear indicator lights were not working? On the other hand, how many times have you been in a BX or Xantia when the gear indicator lights DO work? Hop into a BMW of the same period to see how badly they have set up their ZF gear selection.

John

Fellow Frogger

There were also some late Xantiae that had the 8 Valve engine and the ZF automatic carried over from the pre-facelift cars. 1997 would have the ZF.

Default Al4

My AL4 box had a pressure regulator problem which resulted in thumping into gear when leaving traffic lights etc

I bought a brand new valve body through alibaba.com and installed it myself. Changed the oil and it now runs very smoothly without any issues. It's a very responsive type box

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You can get Xantias with proper gearboxes ... so you don't have to worry about the autos!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I bought a brand new valve body through alibaba.com and installed it myself ...it now runs very smoothly
    This is the first report I've read of a Chinese sourced valveblock. Sounds promising; mine has never been 100% on a couple of shifts because (I believe) the hydro-mechanical elements of shift control were not in sync with the sensors' and ECU's ideas. For $500-odd, it's a cheap fix.

Quote - "When driving, the ability to select 3rd by just flicking the lever to the rear (without depressing the button) and it stops in 3rd with a locked up convertor. After the corner, push it forward to get back into drive. Gives a lot of manual control at exciting speeds, far quicker than on a manual car with a clutch."

I so agree with you, John. I love the way my hand can just fall down from the steering wheel and land right on the lever to flick it back and forward. Perfect positioning.

I get such an buzz by starting off in first and manually shifting up through the gears. It's just like one of those new fancy clutchless gearboxes!
    Doug

1974 DS23 Pallas ( Carby Manual)
    1990 BX TZI Automatique

Fellow Frogger!

In answer to Doublechevrons I would have a manual but this is for my wife who is in her sixties and had always driven manuals up until a few years ago and has decided she would prefer an auto for stop start traffic in the city. She quite happily drove all our manual Citroens ( D GS CX) but now wants a auto and a wagon.

tazzy.

D Special (gone)
    CX 2200 (gone)
    CX2400 (gone)
    GS1220 Break (gone)
    GS 1050 (gone)
    BX 19 GT (gone)
    BX19 TZI (gone)
    GS 1220 Work in progress.
    C5 yes well it does have the suspension.

The ZF 4HP18 do not lock up totally in 3rd gear, only 60%. Only the AL4 can lock the converter in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

For the record our AL4 is on its 3rd pressure regulation solenoid. Obviously a hard worked component or a component that is not up to the job whichever way you look at it.

I wonder if Shane has driven a good AL4
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post

I wonder if Shane has driven a good AL4
    I've driven quite a few ...... You'll have to define "GOOD" for me. Does "good" mean "works as designed", or does "Good" mean it was reasonable to drive

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

good equals as designed which equals good to drive. Or at least 98% of the time
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C
    For the record our AL4 is on its 3rd pressure regulation solenoid.
    The one which came out of yours, apparently had a white socket. I had to wonder if it were shelf stock of the previous version, and that may be why its lifespan was less than stellar.

Thread Information