C5 is bent
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 is bent

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 is bent

Hey froggy folk.

The C5 isn't happy tonight. I had just left the station to head for home when a guy reversed into my path. Left front wheel and guard took the brunt of the impact. Scratches on the guard when I drove off I then had to drive home with the wheel turned a quarter turn to drive straight. Left turns were very wide and felt like the wheel was loose.

Advertisement

Also a strange clicking sound at idle that wasn't there this morning. A clunking noise when I drove into the complex. Gearchanges/clutch were fine in operation.

Guard itself is undamaged apart from paint but worried about the front suspension. Any opinions as to what I am facing? I suspect a bent strut/stub axle. Opinions appreciated. Other party admitted liability.

Cheers
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    Hey froggy folk.

The C5 isn't happy tonight. I had just left the station to head for home when a guy reversed into my path. Left front wheel and guard took the brunt of the impact. Scratches on the guard when I drove off I then had to drive home with the wheel turned a quarter turn to drive straight. Left turns were very wide and felt like the wheel was loose.

Also a strange clicking sound at idle that wasn't there this morning. A clunking noise when I drove into the complex. Gearchanges/clutch were fine in operation.

Guard itself is undamaged apart from paint but worried about the front suspension. Any opinions as to what I am facing? I suspect a bent strut/stub axle. Opinions appreciated. Other party admitted liability.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Have you jacked it up and really rocked the wheel, then pulled it off and looked hard, and checked whether something might fall off? I would not dare drive it in that condition. Apart from the risk, you might (an old theme) find you are not insured if the car is not roadworthy - and it doesn't sound as if it is. If you hit someone driving it in that condition (much more expensive than something) the damage claim potential is catastrophic. Let alone the risk to the other road users.

It's had a bang that might have bent steering arms, and or broken links to anti-roll bar, or other things. It might even have damaged the gearbox with a bad bang on a driveshaft.

My advice is to have a very, very good look at it before you drive it again and probably get it trucked to the service place you use to get it on a hoist and really sort out what is wrong.

Bad luck, to say the least.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Clunking noise when moving could be a "prematurely aged" CV joint, but obviously could also be transmission. New noise at idle definitely sounds suss...

I second John's advice that you should not be driving it - apart from the danger to yourself and others, you might be making something (eg. transmission) much worse.

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 28th June 2012 at 12:22 AM.

UFO

Assuming you got all details of the other driver, make a Police report 131444 and also contact your insurance company to put the repairs under their management.

As John said, do not drive it any further.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If you're with NRMA and claim on your own policy they will write it off. If the third party is with Zurich or Shannon's you have a better shot at getting it fixed. If you are getting jerked around in the claims process, call the FSO.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all.

Tow truck booked to collect and we will see what they find out.

I'd be very disappointed if they write it off. Manual c5s are rare enough on our roads and it's a bit special with leather and sunroof.

Insured with Bingle so we will wait and see what happens. The other guy is at fault and insured with Allianz.

Cheers
    Andrew

I've recently been through some ugliness with insurers; if you do want the car fixed there are a few ways to go about it - but you have to keep threatening them with the FOS.

No respect for Allianz, but I have called their bluff too - used a "heavyweight" accredited valuer to dispute their pricing.

At some point shortly (if not already), your insurer will make a recorded call to you, where they ask for your consent to whatever may follow - the most important detail here if you want the car fixed, is to clearly state that you will reject any proposal to write it off, and do not give them permission to make this judgement call.

Without your permission they can't actually write the car off - otherwise assessors could ponce down the street declaring every other car a write off based on the cost of restoring it to 100% of original condition. They greatly dislike being reminded of this catch.

Fellow Frogger!

Have a look in drive.com or equivalent. What is a top example of your car (or another model that you lust after) worth? What will your insurance give you?
    My Pug ' 98 406 was written off (hail) paid out $10k for a 210 oookm example
    Purchased a 2007, 2.2td C5 with half the Ks for $4000 more. I'm happy.
    David

Fellow Frogger!

An update

Popped in to smash repairers on Saturday. Repairs have been approved and parts have been ordered from France with 2+ weeks. It Looks like they have cleaned up the panel without having to paint it.

I always thought that to sell cars in Australia you had to hold 10 years worth of parts?

So looking down the barrel of at least a month before the car is back on the road.

Cheers
    Andrew

1000+ Posts

Great to hear it's not a write-off! Are any mechanical parts being replaced? How were drive shaft and transmission?

Cheers

Alec

The way it works, is your panel basher gets an "authority to repair" from the insurer, following the assessor's visit.

Once it's locked in and parts are on their way, or during reassembly, they suddently discover "Oh goodness, we hadn't noticed the bent strut!"... So an extra cheque is written to top up the claim payment, stopping the car from being written off and allowing the beaters full margin on more new parts.

Fellow Frogger!

This is how the car looked after the bingle (see attached photos).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 is bent-picture-065.jpg   C5 is bent-picture-066.jpg   C5 is bent-picture-067.jpg  

This is how the car looked after the bingle (see attached photos).
    All fine Andrew, but what about all the mechanical noises etc etc?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Parts from France are due next Friday.

From what the smash repairer said it was the front suspension, bent stub axle and assorted bits. i won't know anymore until such times as they putt it apart.

Once it's all back together, I'll take it across to my mechanic for an assessment. If it's not right, it will go back and they can have another go. This process will go on until I and my mechanic are satisfied.

It also seems the parts issue isn't restricted to Citroen. I spoke with the panel beater today and he has a Toyota Kluger and Mazda3 awaiting parts from Japan. A friend has also relayed another story of a bonnet for a Mazda3 that took over a month to appear.

Parts from France are due next Friday.

From what the smash repairer said it was the front suspension, bent stub axle and assorted bits. i won't know anymore until such times as they putt it apart.

Once it's all back together, I'll take it across to my mechanic for an assessment. If it's not right, it will go back and they can have another go. This process will go on until I and my mechanic are satisfied.

It also seems the parts issue isn't restricted to Citroen. I spoke with the panel beater today and he has a Toyota Kluger and Mazda3 awaiting parts from Japan. A friend has also relayed another story of a bonnet for a Mazda3 that took over a month to appear.
    There have always been horror stories about Japanese parts for less than brand new models and about their prices.

Best of luck with it. If the stub axle is bent, with any luck that gave all sorts of horrible noises.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Just on the insurance scenario, the insurer can not have an insured person's vehicle written off, however it can settle the claim on the basis of the lowest valuation, be it based upon either the repair or the accepted market value. On that basis you get to keep the car if you want to, less it's salvage value up to either the repair or market value whichever is deemed the lower. It's always your vehicle not an insurers so you can do what you wish with it...

Thread Information