Replaced timing belt on the Valver
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replaced timing belt on the Valver

Finally got around to replacing the timing belt on the Valver after getting it back on the road a month ago.

I didn't feel comfortable driving the car till I had the peace of mind of anew belt. Well it's installed and it was easier than I thought. As a bonus the K light ECU faults have disappeared. I had a knock detector, engine speed sensor and auto mixture adjustment codes. All I can put it down to is the new belt. The old belt looked fine with the cam and crank dowels all lining up before removal. All I can put it down to is that maybe the LHD side exhaust side of the belt was a bit loose.

The car Feels slightly more responsive but that could be my imagination. Will see if the fuel consumption improves. The spark plugs were wet with fuel when I removed them to make it easier to turn the engine over. I suspect with the ECU faults, it may have been running too rich.

Anyway I couldn't be happier.

Advertisement

Excellent. Did you change the water pump and idlers and tensioner. Our Xantia is purring like a kitten with its new belt
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Excellent. Did you change the water pump and idlers and tensioner. Our Xantia is purring like a kitten with its new belt
    Ahhh no I didn't. Probably should of given its age. Checked the idlers/tensioner and the bearings and rolling surfaces seemed fine. Oh well I've done the belt now so if the water pump plays up it want be so daunting a task to change it.

Took her for its first long drive, Newcastle to Sydney this weekend. She certainly has some poke but needs constant cog swapping to keep her on the boil. Not the most relaxed freeway cruiser but Lotsa fun nonetheless.

Now need to sort out a resonant frequency that rattles the dash board plastics (more than they usually do anyway) at 110 km/hr. You end up having to do an indicated 100 or 120.

Dropped in on Bruce Elsegood Of cccofnsw on the way. What a lovely bloke. I'm now keen to get her to the All French Day and meet some more members.

Thread Information