16 V HP pumps going the way of the Dodo?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 16 V HP pumps going the way of the Dodo?

The HP pump on the valver is leaking. Have contacted all the Cit wreckers on the east coast and the well known part suppliers for a HP pump revision kit. Have also left unanswered phone messages with Plaides in QLD.
    The best I can get is an old pump and some new pump seals. The hope is to dismantle the two pumps and build one goodun.
    Has any other 16V owner faced this problem? Would appreciate if you would share your experience.

Advertisement

UFO

Try to get a 12v V6 XM one. They spin same direction.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon3

This one was advertised here 6 months ago, maybe worth following up?

FS: BX 16 Valve Hydraulic Pump

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

... and there was a BX 16 Valve for wrecking listed a fortnight ago. Not sure if the pump was on offer as the engine etc. were being retained.

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    The HP pump on the valver is leaking. Have contacted all the Cit wreckers on the east coast and the well known part suppliers for a HP pump revision kit. Have also left unanswered phone messages with Plaides in QLD.
    The best I can get is an old pump and some new pump seals. The hope is to dismantle the two pumps and build one goodun.
    Has any other 16V owner faced this problem? Would appreciate if you would share your experience.
    I happen to know that the Pleiades man is away right now. PM me for his email address if you want to chase harder!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you, everyone.
    I will follow up the two posts for a used pump and see where they lead. That explains the Pleiades no return call.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    They haven't just gone the way of the Dodo.
    16V pumps have always been hard to get. We've always had plenty of 8V pumps but 16V are very few and hard to find. Not many 16V get wrecked so if you find one grab it.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Here's a thread on the 16V forum where a bloke fits a pump from a 16 trs to his 16valve.

http://bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

Fellow Frogger!

I have purchased today the 16 valve HP pump that was advertised on Aussiefrogs (thanks Greenblood for link). So I now have 3 in different states of function. Should get me out of trouble and the valver back on the road.
    I also got a message from the owner wrecking the BX 16 Valve (Aussiefrogs) to say his HP pump was for sale if anyone else needs one.
    Cheers
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 27th June 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    They haven't just gone the way of the Dodo.
    16V pumps have always been hard to get. We've always had plenty of 8V pumps but 16V are very few and hard to find. Not many 16V get wrecked so if you find one grab it.
    What is the difference between these pumps?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Primarily, it seems driven pulley diameter. The Valver being driven off the rear (exhaust) cam end, rather than the aux belt at damper end, sits closer to the cam pulley and thus was given a slightly smaller pulley to make up for the half speed it's driven at.

As addo mentioned the pulley sizes are different, and also the input for the supply pipe from the reservoir is located in a different position.

But apart from that I believe they can mount in a similar position going off what the chap did on the 16V forum.

I don't physically have pumps out of cars to examine so I can't say for sure.

Heres a video I posted in this thread comparing the mounting of the pumps:
    BX 16V LHM pump

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Primarily, it seems driven pulley diameter. The Valver being driven off the rear (exhaust) cam end, rather than the aux belt at damper end, sits closer to the cam pulley and thus was given a slightly smaller pulley to make up for the half speed it's driven at.
    Ah, so all you really need is another pulley to make an "ordinary" 8V pump fit? And maybe a high pressure pipe "adjustment"?

Just storing information for who knows when.

Thanks for that.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I've got the impression rebuilders whip the pulleys off for an overhaul; perhaps this is feasible to make the surrogate pump an even closer match.

Fellow Frogger!

5 or 7 piston pumps work just fine regardless of CW or CCW rotation. Unless the front face plate of the pump is a different casting (SM vs D for example) the position of the output pipe is fixed in relation to the mounting flange. What can be changed is the position of the reservoir inlet when the pump is reassembled.

5 piston pumps leak via the shaft or reservoir seal. There are no internal 0-rings as in the 7 piston pumps used on the D's/SM's and early CX's. If a 5 piston pump is not suppling sufficient vol of fluid at pressure it is because the metal poppet valves are leaking inside the pump or the internal bolts clamping the piston body to the face plate have loosened. Rebuilding a 5 piston pump is not for the faint hearted. One needs a good sized hydraulic press and some special mandrels to disassemble one with out damage. The factory did not intend for them to be 'fixed'.

Steve

Thread Information