Berlingo gear linkages?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Berlingo gear linkages?

We have a mechanic next door to us at work, just does general mechanical work for the masses.

He has a customer's Citroen Berlingo in at the moment that keeps throwing a gear linkage rod, he has replaced with genuine new replacement but the problem persists. He says the ball connection is as good as new and the new rod is a firm fit, but the rod end is just short of the ball.

He has asked me me (as if I'd know ) if I knew a possible cause, he is looking at gearbox/ engine mounts.

Any tips/tricks?

Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Engine/gearbox mounts are one possibility. Possibly the driver if he/she regularly tries to ram it into reverse. It can bend the flat ends of the long selector rod and then the linkages are not located as planned. It may not be obvious unless he knows what 'bent' looks like. There is also a bracket on the gearbox and it was modified at some stage (by moving or raising the ball slightly) to stop the link that hooks onto it contacting the back of the bracket. Replacing just one short link in isolation doesn't always fix it.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Engine/gearbox mounts are one possibility. Possibly the driver if he/she regularly tries to ram it into reverse. It can bend the flat ends of the long selector rod and then the linkages are not located as planned. It may not be obvious unless he knows what 'bent' looks like. There is also a bracket on the gearbox and it was modified at some stage (by moving or raising the ball slightly) to stop the link that hooks onto it contacting the back of the bracket. Replacing just one short link in isolation doesn't always fix it.
    Good stuff, thanks David, I'll pass on your info

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information