ICCCR 2012 Roll Call of Aussie attendees?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default ICCCR 2012 Roll Call of Aussie attendees?

Well,

• Flights are booked
    • C4 lease is arranged (thanks Michelle and Rod)
    • House and cat sitter is arranged
    • Accommodation is booked where necessary
    • Ferry crossings of the channel are booked
    • The UFOs are just a bit excited!

This time in six weeks Mrs UFO and I will be about four hours away from staggering off the 'plane at CDG (aka George de Gruell by some) and then to pick up the C4 and head Calais-wards.

Advertisement

Are there any other AFers who are heading to Harrogate for ICCCR 2012?

Perhaps, if so, we could meet up and try to get some pics?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

See you there. Look out for moving decals with a gs hiding underneath.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Default Icccr 2012

Not able to get over there this year, Craig. We have been doing the grey nomads trip around Oz for the last and next few months. Before leaving our home in Sydney and the DS, I did make an on-line purchase of the ICCCR sweatshirt (about A$40 delivered) which arrived in time. I have been confusing fellow travellers on this journey, with its very nice 3rd nose D logo, when the weather has been cold enough to wear it.

I'm sure you'll have a great time in Yorkshire.

Ken

We are booked and paid for. This is THE BIG TRIP that we all do when the kids are grown up. We are flying in and out of Paris. I have an uncle who lives on the outskirts of Paris and this will be the first time I have seen him in 20 years. We are catching the Eurostar to London and will hire a car in Britain. We will be doing an anticlockwise loop of the UK after Harrogate over 4 weeks. Would like to catch up with as many Citroenists as possible.

I'm already slipping into holiday mode. Having trouble concentrating on work. Counting the days....
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

UFO

Great news Rob. Have you thought about doing a Eurodrive through Rod Slater's business in Perth?

It may be cutting it fine but you could probably still arrange it. As we are starting in Paris and coming back there we are getting a C4 from Paris and it will of course be LHD. However you can lease a Peugeot or Renault in RHD out of the UK I believe. If you are really in need of a car for 4 weeks then it could be worthwhile to look into a lease. There are no surprises such as excess distance charges etc. And you pay for it all before you leave in Aussie $$$.

If you are interested you could send an email to Michelle or maybe even phone her on Saturday morning. We did all our paperwork via email and in fact paid for it today.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Flying to Dublin in two weeks time (after Hobart next week and Cairns the week after), about ten days in the emerald then ferry across to Holyhead, pick up another car for about ten days which I leave in Leeds, then just less than a week walking on the Dales, and a few days walking on the Moors, then the big event. Staying in Wetherby and driving a generic rental that I'll pick up in York. Leaving from Manchester the following week.
    Looking forward to my first ICCCR, and just so glad to be finished a horrendous few weeks at work trying to get everything sorted for the time I'm away.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

UFO

Excellent Bruce. See you there. Travel safe.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Will you be visiting Le Conservatoire CitroŽn - before Monsieur Philippe Varin closes it down?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Will you be visiting Le Conservatoire CitroŽn - before Monsieur Philippe Varin closes it down?
    what? A third time? No. don't think so, but I might finally get inside C42 this time.

When staying in Paris after you have returned your lease car, getting to the conservatoire is a pain in the butt anyway.

Besides, some of the special cars from the conservatoire will be on display at ICCCR I believe and we would get a better look at them.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Great news Rob. Have you thought about doing a Eurodrive through Rod Slater's business in Perth?
    I looked at several options. The only way to lease a Citroen was in France. Since I'm not planning to drive in France having a left hand drive car in the UK seemed like a disadvantage. There doesn't seem to be any value in turning up at ICCCR in 'another' French car.

After lots of searching (and reading of terms and conditions - which varied widely in detail) I booked with Thrifty. About £650 for 30 days and we can pick up in Oxford and return to London. This was about 30% cheaper than leasing. And less than I had expected based on Australian perspective. Hire cars must be very competitive in the UK. The discount for paying in full in advance was about £30 and there were no changes and no refunds, so I have elected to pay on pickup. I could change that if there is a good case but it would have to be something like a C6 to convince me.

I also looked at buying a 'cheap' Citroen but there are lots of hurdles for foreigners in terms of insurance and registration. And £600 is banger money - so reliability would be suspect.

Flying in and out of Paris was about $600 cheaper (each) than Heathrow. And I have an Uncle who lives in Paris. He also has a flat in central London that we can have. After Harrogate we are going to take about 4 weeks to do loop thru Manchester, Worcester, Cardiff, Southampton and London. We are staying for 4 or 5 days in self contained apartments and will tourist in the local area as day trips. The whole idea is to travel slowly, have days off and mix with the locals as much as possible. I'm trying to avoid the whirlwind sight seeing type of tour.

The plan is to make this the first of many trips O/S. maybe France and Italy next year. Old eastern Europe is appealing, and SE Asia, and....
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

GBP450 for a 2000 built Xsara wagon with MOT until April next year isn't too bad - and that's from a dealer!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_w...&sort=0&page=1

UFO

Fair enough Rob. Still you'll be there. I can see another Aussie table in the making for the formal dinner.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Fair enough Rob. Still you'll be there. I can see another Aussie table in the making for the formal dinner.
    Good idea! I have added black thongs and a beret basque to my packing list.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Good idea! I have added black thongs and a beret basque to my packing list.
    Double pluggers I hope! We have a standard to maintain.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information